PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Poker Stories (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   "The Wheel" (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24118)

skeptix82 Aug 16, 2004 6:53pm

"The Wheel"

"The Wheel" is the name I just created for the greatest of poker anomolies (sp). On Thursday, I played online for about three hours and then played live for another 3.

During online play - 2 table sng, down to 3. I get AJ suited in diamonds, raising fun with one other guy. Flop comes T74 with 2 diamonds. I check, other guys bets big, I move in (I had him covered) on semi-bluff. He calls. Turn is Q of diamonds for my nut flush. River is K of diamonds for my first royal flush (though completely unnecessary). I was so psyched I blanked on how to get a screenshot, hence no picture.

During live play - 7 person tourney with 2 rebuys, down to 5 after rebuys. I get 56 suited in clubs. Small raise with me and two other callers. Flop comes 34J the 3/4 being clubs. Pot gets tripled, only me and original raiser left. Turn is 7 of clubs to give me the str8 flush. Won a big pot and knocked raiser out.

Also during live play - Same tourney, down to 3. I get TT on button. Raise 3X BB, one caller. Flop is TT9. You get the idea, I got quads.

So anyways, I got my first royal in the afternoon and a str8 flush in the evening followed by quads. I also got a str8, a flush, a boat, trips, two pair, etc. I got EVERY hand possible in the same day! I can't even begin to understand how unlikely this is, but I'm giving a name to this occurence. Now you all go out there and try and get "The Wheel". It just might happen.

aseyer Aug 16, 2004 8:15pm

The Wheel has been taken....It's another name for an A2345 straight which is the best low hand possible.

Maybe you should call it the Whee.

sffan72 Aug 16, 2004 8:38pm

I would propose using a term from baseball-- the cycle (single, double, triple and home run in the same game). What you describe sounds very similar. :D

skeptix82 Aug 16, 2004 11:45pm

I'm aware of "The Wheel" as used to describe A to 5 str8. I still think it fits even if it will have two meanings. I mean come on. The cards are rolling out.

Kazz Aug 17, 2004 3:48am

I believe the term "card rack" is appropriate here. :)

JayAut Aug 17, 2004 4:55pm

I think "Total Ownage" would suffice :)

Notjitsu Aug 17, 2004 6:04pm

How bout borrowing from a similar accomplishment in baseball, and referring to it as "The Cycle".

For any who are not familiar, thats a single, double, triple, and homerun in the same game.

Takk Aug 17, 2004 7:11pm

I may be completely out of line with this suggestion...but I think it would be more than appropriate to borrow a baseball term, "The Cycle," for this poker phenomenon.

For those of you who don't follow baseball too closely, "The Cycle" is used to describe the event of a single player having a single, double, triple, and a home run in any given game.

What do you guys think?

just being the resident asshole :wink:

ImAllInNow Aug 17, 2004 7:59pm

Great idea Takk! I'm surprised no one has suggested it before you!

ImAllInNow

-no, really, I am

skeptix82 Aug 19, 2004 1:15am

That's funny. I'm going to suggest alternative names for my wheel. I oppose using "the cycle" because it is a baseball term, we need a poker term. Suggestions include:

The Roll
Absolution
River Raid (after a classic Atari game I love)
The Beyond
Gambler's Glory
The Uber Nuts
The Series
Absolutely Fucking Everything

You like?

I like!