PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners' Corner (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Newbie questions (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27738)

Lord Mushroom Sep 19, 2005 7:56pm

Newbie questions

Is it possible to register on a pokersite, deposit, earn their deposit bonus, take your money to a new site and do the same thing there?

I imagine the best place to start such a bonus-exploiting voyage if you only had $50 to deposit is Empire Poker due to high percentage bonus and quick bonus-earning.
If a total newbie to poker (with the brain to learn fast and some day become a solid player) wanted to earn this bonus by playing $0,50-1 limit holdem, how much should he prepare for this by playing for play money and/or microlimits on another site to safely play $0,50-1 limit holdem on Empire Poker without wasting too much of his bonus in losses?

Ozone Sep 19, 2005 8:29pm

Re: Newbie questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
Is it possible to register on a pokersite, deposit, earn their deposit bonus, take your money to a new site and do the same thing there?

Yes, it's called bonus whoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
If a total newbie to poker (with the brain to learn fast and some day become a solid player) wanted to earn this bonus by playing $0,50-1 limit holdem, how much should he prepare for this by playing for play money and/or microlimits on another site to safely play $0,50-1 limit holdem on Empire Poker without wasting too much of his bonus in losses?

Well the 0.50/1 games are pretty soft. I would recommend reading the Beginner and Intermediate articles for Limit Hold'em, found here. Really try to digest what they are saying. Get a good grasp for the game through reading these articles, then let the bonus whoring begin.

You should be able to at least break even before clearing your bonus... provided you don't do anything stupid.

-Ozone

Lord Mushroom Sep 19, 2005 9:50pm

Thanks.

But starting playing for real-money without even a single hand of play-money first sounds a bit reckless to me. Then again, I might be a coward.

What do you think, guys?

jpps1 Sep 20, 2005 3:34am

Do some reading and get some play-money experience, since it sounds like you have no prior experience with poker. It would help to see how a hand is played out and especially helpful to learn what hands are considered strong...

Lord Mushroom Sep 20, 2005 12:06pm

How many hours of play-money would be necessary to learn enough to start (in addition to reading)?

Or is there some kind of benchmark that can tell you you are now ready?

Iestyn75 Sep 20, 2005 2:07pm

Lord Mushroom - I personally don't think that play money tables are worth the effort for anything other than getting used to the software and (for total beginners) to learn the basic rules. Even then, learning the rules is not at all the same as learning basic winning strategy. For that, you are better off playing micro-limit games, freeroll and low buy-in tournys.

ggnh Sep 20, 2005 2:33pm

Amen on the play money tables and not wanting to use them except for learning how the site controls work.

Play money tables are a breading ground for fish, and if anything they would only help cement bad habits in your game that you will later on have to work to fix.

Much like playing the way you see final tables play on TV, they are good to help you understand the game but not how to play typical and proper poker, unless you happen to be at a final table :)

If you goto any of the poker sites, you will find a FAQ that will give you the general idea of how Hold'em works, and some even have "poker school" that will slightly expand on the topic.

Once you have an understanding of how the game is played, hit the strategy section here to give yourself a huge leg up on others who are just starting out.

Play at a site that has micro-limits so you don't blow a lot of money putting what you have read into practise.

There is a huge difference in the way people play for pennies than with play money, and you will be starting on the right foor rather than mimicing what you see at the play money tables.

Lord Mushroom Sep 20, 2005 4:44pm

Ok, so play money untill you have learned the basics of the game and the site. I have not forgotton about the reading, donīt worry.

The next step from there would be to play $.05-$10 at Pacific Poker and higher limits as your skills increases. Correct me if I am wrong.

When you are able to make a BB (I have the impression that Big Blind is the same as Big Bet - yes go ahead and laugh) an hour at which blinds are you prepared to play $.50-$1 on Empire Poker without losing money (bonus excluded)?

How many hours would an average smart guy need to take him from $.05-$1 to that limit?

Iestyn75 Sep 21, 2005 8:28am

Lord Mushroom,
Couple of corrections:

0.05/0.10 at Pacific, by all means, though if your funds are sufficient, you'll find not much difference in skill at 0.25/0.50. That's my experience anyhow. If your aim is to spend/risk the absolute minimum learning the game, then obviously you'll play at the minimum stakes.

Secondly, a 'big bet' is the turn and river bets in limit hold'em, which are twice the big blind.

I don't think it's a matter of 'number of hours' played to get to a certain limit. As mentioned above, to some extent, the skill levels at these low limits don't change massively. Same with NL tournys - I find very little difference in skill levels between $3 and $10 buy-ins. You'll find out quite quickly at the lower limits whether you have a grasp of basic strategy and the discipline to apply it. If you've got the bankroll, you can graduate to 0.50/$1 quite quickly.

Lord Mushroom Sep 21, 2005 11:52am

According to the site reviews Pacific is softer than Empire, so my question is this:
On what blinds on Pacific (limit) does one find players of the same skills as the players on Empireīs $.50-$1?

The bonus you earn, do you get it piece by piece as you gradually earn it, or do you get nothing untill you have earned it all?