PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Poker Stories (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Another kind of bad beat (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47521)

Fredrik Jun 20, 2007 1:51am

Another kind of bad beat

After 17 consecutive tournaments without cashing, I finally do well in one. 6th in chips with 10 people left (of 1272) in the 50+5 on stars. 13.5K to the winner. I've been playing great and feel good about my chances even though I'm a bit shortstacked.

Then my Internet connection died! I tried for a few minutes to get it working again. Hm, is there someone I can call who can finish this tournament for me. No, it's past 2 AM here. Great, now what do I do? Last time I checked all my neighbors had encryption configured on their wireless networks, so I won't be able to use those. I have to at least try. Nope, no one has left it unsecured. Hm, maybe one of the other buildings here...

So I put some pants on and take my laptop outside. I scan for wireless networks in at least 5 different spots until I find one that works. This has taken me 15 minutes or so.

I start up my Pokerstars client and see that I'm still in the tournament. 8 people left. But of course I'm a lot more shortstacked than before. I get dealt rags for a while, and then I just have to push my A9 from two before the button, since I only have a bit more than 3 BB. I get called by KQ. Three low cards, another low card, a low card, AND A MOTHERFUCKING QUEEN!

I got $985.80 for 8th. Better than nothing I suppose. And there's also no way my battery would have lasted long enough to win the tournament.

The most annoying part of this is that it may be my own fault. I may have forgotten to pay the bill.

TWLLM Jun 20, 2007 1:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik (Post 488978)
The most annoying part of this is that it may be my own fault. I may have forgotten to pay the bill.

This is a perfect example of how your actions can cause the bad beats you take. :lol: I guess all those results-oriented people were right afterall.

BTW, that sucks man, get better internet and/or remember to pay for it.

Blade Jun 20, 2007 1:59am

Using the neighbours wireless! The dedication! Nice effort. You should have got first for that.

Blade Jun 20, 2007 2:03am

It would have been cooler if you just busted down the neighbours door and downloaded pokerstars.

Fredrik Jun 20, 2007 2:12am

I'm back in my apartment now, and I'm writing this on my other computer, so my Internet connection is definitely working now. That kills the forgot-to-pay-the-bill theory. So it was my ISP's fault, not mine. It still sucks though. I lost thousands of dollars in cash EV there, and possibly as much as $12.5K in real money. :(

KS_Perfection Jun 20, 2007 2:14am

Your internet provider chose quite a time to shut it off. I'd be so pissed if that ever were to happen to me (less the non payement of bills of course).

KHSPoker21 Jun 20, 2007 2:23am

Too bad you don't have a friendly neighbor. Just in case that were ever to happen to me, my neighbor gave me his encryption code so voila, emergency internet.

Fredrik Jun 20, 2007 2:26am

Quote:

I get dealt rags for a while, and then I just have to push my A9 from two before the button, since I only have a bit more than 3 BB. I get called by KQ. Three low cards, another low card, a low card, AND A MOTHERFUCKING QUEEN!

Hm, "three low cards, another low card, a low card" and then the MFQ would make it six cards. :) I guess you guys knew what I meant anyway.

angusg Jun 20, 2007 3:21am

Quote:

So I put some pants on and take my laptop outside.

I like this bit.

bluelips Jun 20, 2007 3:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by angusg (Post 489012)
I like this bit.

Why would you play poker wearing pants?