PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners' Corner (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Why fold any starting hand? (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65766)

Badman Jan 03, 2009 9:31am

Why fold any starting hand?

I'm just wondering...I've been reading on pre-flop starting hands. I've started to follow them to my playing style. Then, I realized...Why would you fold any pre-flop hand. There is always a chance that you might get a gutshot, trips, etc...So why would you fold?

WaxHaX0rS Jan 03, 2009 10:24am

So what? You won't hit hands nearly enough to make a profitable in the long run. The amount of money that you make when you strike lightning doesn't make up for the many many times that you miss. You will bleed a slow but inevitable death. That's the basic idea.

DoubleU Jan 03, 2009 10:41am

lol.

Loder89 Jan 03, 2009 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleU (Post 745370)
lol.

I was thinking the same ;)

Mbradycf Jan 03, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleU (Post 745370)
lol.

I lol'd at the Topic title, then I re lol'd when one of the reasons for playing every hand was that you might flop a gutshot

Loder89 Jan 03, 2009 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badman (Post 745360)
Why would you fold any pre-flop hand. There is always a chance that you might get a gutshot. So why would you fold?

That's gonna be my new signature ;)

SwoopAE Jan 03, 2009 3:25pm

Some hands are better than others. Why would you put money into the pot voluntarily while behind on a regular basis for no good reason?

Maddox_23 Jan 03, 2009 4:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badman (Post 745360)
I'm just wondering...I've been reading on pre-flop starting hands. I've started to follow them to my playing style. Then, I realized...Why would you fold any pre-flop hand. There is always a chance that you might get a gutshot, trips, etc...So why would you fold?

if you want a real advice: PLZ FORGET WHAT YOU JUST SAYD PRETTY SOON... cause this is really nonsense...and please do yourself a favor and read some books and a lot of strategy articles befor you risk any money...
you made a good first step by posting on this forum..and as i have to admit i was laughing at this post too, it's a good thing asking for advise..

see it this way, if anyone would play perfect poker, just luck would decide about winning or losing..but fortunatley, even if luck is present on any given hand, in the long term the player who makes the best desicions win the money..you have to exploit your opponents weakness, and one of the biggest mistakes, players make is TO SEE TO MANY FLOPS!!! (i would say the second one is bad bankroll management)

you made a point by saying that any hand can flop a monster, but as somone sayd, you don't hit this flops often enough to justify a call..and not only that, but lets say you flop a Khigh flop with a hand like K6, i doubt you'll be able to fold it, and it will cost you a lot of money..

you have to play hands that have a positive expactation, otherwise you'll costing yourself a lot of money in the long run...don't think of poker as a short term game..forget about the time you hit a 633 flop after you've called a raise with 63s...try to invest money in a +EV situation insteed of risking money while making a bad call..

but as i sayd, read a lot of strategy articles..look for starting hands, pot odds, implied odds, position ecc.ecc.
and if your just starting out with poker, stick to the starting hands the strategy articles suggest!!

hope this helped

good luck!!! :smile:

cobalt Jan 03, 2009 4:32pm

Hey man, try it out, that's the only way you'll know.

Badsastard Jan 03, 2009 4:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 745496)
Hey man, try it out, that's the only way you'll know.

I've discussed this with ssta a few times. We think it might be possible to be a winner at .01/.02NL on Stars with 100% VPIP over say 10k hands. Neither of us can be arsed to try it out though. :wink: