PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Poker Stories (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Poker on FaceBook (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72329)

4Kings Dec 23, 2009 10:07am

Poker on FaceBook

Hello All,

I get messages from friends on facebook to join the zynga poker game there.
when i look at the installation page of this app, i see that they have almost 20m active monthly users. i think the level of play there is very low, but people actually pay money to get millions of virtual play chips.

I don't get it , why don't those people who pay real money don't migrate to one of the online sites and play for real. any ideas?

2muchMONEY Dec 23, 2009 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Kings (Post 845762)
I don't get it , why don't those people who pay real money don't migrate to one of the online sites and play for real. any ideas?

i'd say it's because ppl are stupid. just a thought

the_fox31 Dec 23, 2009 10:49am

I'd say it's because poker is fun?

I think it's so strange that poker is one of the few games that people don't seem to be able to take seriously unless there is money involved. For anything else, chess, hockey, MONOPOLY, whatever, people play because they enjoy it and want to do well at it for its own sake. But poker is different for some reason. And I don't understand why.

And those people on Zynga (I'm not one of them) feel that way too.

2muchMONEY Dec 23, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fox31 (Post 845772)

I think it's so strange that poker is one of the few games that people don't seem to be able to take seriously unless there is money involved. For anything else, chess, hockey, MONOPOLY, whatever, people play because they enjoy it and want to do well at it for its own sake. But poker is different for some reason. And I don't understand why.

to paraphrase xen here: playing poker with playmoney is like playing soccer without a ball

killcrazy Dec 23, 2009 12:57pm

depends who you're playing with, and why you're playing.

Kc

4Kings Dec 23, 2009 2:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fox31 (Post 845772)

if people play for fun, then why do so many people buy the play money chips , why is it different to play for 100 chips then it is to play for 1000000 chips ?

I think that even though it is virtual money , people treat it like it has some value.

killcrazy Dec 23, 2009 6:01pm

it's fun to pretend.

Kc

TWLLM Dec 23, 2009 6:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchMONEY (Post 845809)
playing poker with playmoney is like playing soccer

FYP. :tongue:

the_fox31 Dec 23, 2009 7:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchMONEY (Post 845809)
to paraphrase xen here: playing poker with playmoney is like playing soccer without a ball

Well, no. I'd say it's like playing a soccer tournament with no prizes. Maybe I could buy another analogy. Say like "play money is to real money what masterbation is to sex."

the_fox31 Dec 23, 2009 7:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by killcrazy (Post 845815)
depends who you're playing with, and why you're playing.

Kc

Yup.