PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners' Corner (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   tips for reading people online (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78894)

Amazin Aug 27, 2011 8:40pm

tips for reading people online

I'm a completely newbie and someone mentioned that your ability to read people is one of the essential skills in Poker. I can see why and how when you play face to face but what about when you play online? any tips or advice?

killcrazy Aug 27, 2011 9:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazin (Post 977501)
I'm a completely newbie and someone mentioned that your ability to read people is one of the essential skills in Poker. I can see why and how when you play face to face but what about when you play online? any tips or advice?

yes, don't worry about it. for the moment your time and energy will be better spent working on fundamentals like hand selection, odds, etc.

crawl, walk, run, dance, fly.

Kc

darryl Aug 27, 2011 11:00pm

One of the best online tells is betting patterns. It may not hurt to watch a table (not even playing in it) and pick a few people specifically to watch see if you notice any patterns they make, try to predict what they have based on this. If they seem very predictable, try to sit at the table and see if your reads pay off.

Of course at this point, fundamentals are more important.

-d

PTYP Aug 30, 2011 8:04pm

Also, watch out for when you raise someone or make a bet in a big pot and they take forever to "think", and then reraise AI. 99% of the time it is a monster.

JustinShape Sep 01, 2011 2:59pm

check their home country

cheska Sep 22, 2011 3:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazin (Post 977501)

Bluffing someone though can be confusing, so if you are someone who love to read people. You must also know the art of bluffing. :P

Axis of Evil Sep 24, 2011 6:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTYP (Post 977684)
Also, watch out for when you raise someone or make a bet in a big pot and they take forever to "think", and then reraise AI. 99% of the time it is a monster.

I don't think it is 99% most of the time. Sometimes there is math to be done and tendencies to be analyzed to justify moving in with redraws or semi-strong holdings. This is especially true if your opponent's tournament life is at stake and he believes he is giving you fold equity. The time limit online is really not very long so using all of it isn't so unusual to consider it such a lock as 99%.

Amazin Oct 10, 2011 8:35am

im surprised that nobody mentioned pokertrack! I didn't know about it until someone told me. it tells your opponent's stats

Ozone Oct 18, 2011 11:28pm

PokerTracker is basically an imperative piece of software if you play multiple tables at once IMO. I know people who play without it, but I feel like they give up a huge edge by doing so.

kdaam Feb 11, 2013 11:05pm

I've played 2-7 TD with people who type :P or ffffffffffffffkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk into the chat box on the river.

Matched the betting patterns so wasn't very useful.