PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Omaha Ring Games (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   A Hand From My First Session (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79271)

MikeAK47 Jan 17, 2012 2:25pm

A Hand From My First Session

One of my first hands, the main trouble I had was reading the board and figuring out what I had.

Have started at PLO2 until I get used to reading the board etc.

Also quickly calculating how many nut/non-nut outs I had was tough in the middle of a hand.

PokerStars Hand #73999289436: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.01/$0.02 USD) - 2012/01/17 8:57:10 ET
Table 'Eridanus IV' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: Dobinuvik ($4.74 in chips)
Seat 3: pinocho28 ($0.49 in chips)
Seat 4: Linkscsc ($4.27 in chips)
Seat 6: play4god ($9.22 in chips)
Seat 7: MikeAK47 ($1.99 in chips)
Seat 8: gnideox ($5 in chips)
gnideox: posts small blind $0.01
alpha76omega leaves the table
smex08 is disconnected
smex08 has timed out while disconnected
smex08: is sitting out
Dobinuvik: posts big blind $0.02
milkwaid: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MikeAK47 [Ah Kc 2s Kh]
pinocho28: folds
pinocho28 leaves the table
Linkscsc: folds
play4god: raises $0.05 to $0.07
MichaelB67 joins the table at seat #3
ama2010 joins the table at seat #2
MikeAK47: calls $0.07
smex08 is connected
gnideox: calls $0.06
Dobinuvik: folds
*** FLOP *** [Jh Ac Qh]
gnideox: checks
play4god: checks
MikeAK47: checks
*** TURN *** [Jh Ac Qh] [3c]
play4god: checks
MikeAK47: checks
*** RIVER *** [Jh Ac Qh 3c] [3h]
play4god: bets $0.14
smex08 leaves the table
MikeAK47: calls $0.14
gnideox: folds
*** SHOW DOWN ***
play4god: shows [Ad 5c 8h 7h] (a flush, Queen high)
MikeAK47: shows [Ah Kc 2s Kh] (a flush, Ace high)
MikeAK47 collected $0.49 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $0.51 | Rake $0.02
Board [Jh Ac Qh 3c 3h]
Seat 1: Dobinuvik (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: pinocho28 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Linkscsc folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: play4god showed [Ad 5c 8h 7h] and lost with a flush, Queen high
Seat 7: MikeAK47 (button) showed [Ah Kc 2s Kh] and won ($0.49) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 8: gnideox (small blind) folded on the River

Comments...

I think flatting pre was OK in position.

I should have potted the flop, top pair, NFD and a gutshot - easily enough to bet out when checked to.

River call was OK, if he go lucky with Q3 or whatever then so be it.

killcrazy Jan 17, 2012 4:06pm

royal flush draw with top pair and blockers on the straight is a monster favourite over basically anything that checks to you. bet bet bet.

if these are nontricky players (which they are at 1/2c) then you can raise the river because he should never have a boat there. two pair or better would bet the turn after everyone checks flop, no? but flushes and maybe a 3 may pay you off.

Kc

Ozone Jan 17, 2012 4:26pm

+1 to playing faster. I'm 3-betting every time here with the Ace blocker and nut hearts. I think a major mistake most PLO players make is not 3-betting enough, especially in position. It opens up your image so much that you'll be able to get it in with AAxx more often when people start playing back at you.

Also, why did you check back the flop? You have two blockers to the hand you're worried about, nut flush draw, TPTK, and position on both of your opponents. It's cool, I know you're still learning, but that's about as much of a "bet" as you get in PLO!

And on the river I think I might raise for value, even if it's just a min-raise. But that might be marginal, I'm not really sure at these stakes. My thinking is that you can pretty comfortably fold to a re-raise and that you're going to get a lot of value from smaller flushes who aren't folding to a river min-raise in $2 PLO.

darryl Jan 17, 2012 6:48pm

Yeah, in PLO and poker in general, you don't win a lot of money by check calling. Only three betting with AAxx pre is a big mistake.
Also OOP three betting AAxx can be a mistake depending on table dynamics and your risk tolerence and of course the xx.

It definately takes more time to read the board and your cards in PLO, so take as much time as you need and play fewer tables. The last thing you want to do is get it all in thinking you have a boat and then realize you only have trips.

At first it isn't too bad to undervalue your flush on a paired board until you get more comfortable with what others are showing down with. At pennies though, I would imagine a lot of players are still thinking like NLHE and you could call/raise wider.

-d

MikeAK47 Jan 18, 2012 7:20am

Thanks guys, I think I need to re-read the post-flop chapter in Hwangs book.

Also going to be watching 2x6 by Vanessa Selbst from DC, she apparently has two 1 hour vids dedicated to aggression, and I remember in the first vid she was going on about how everyone plays too passively even at 2/4 and 3/6, although the vids were made in mid 2008 so I'm sure the games have changed somewhat.

Ozone Jan 18, 2012 8:35am

I've printed some money at PLO on the back of unbridled aggression and little more.

joeyjoejoejr Jan 20, 2012 10:37pm

One thing ill mention to you is that sometimes "value betting" is quite a bit a less clear than NL holdem.

For instance in this hand if you had bet the flop got one caller and then bet the turn would that be a value bet or a semibluff?

You could easily get hands like some weak two pairs without decent redraws to fold and at the same time you might get something like Th9h8sx to call you.

A better way to think about betting in PLO is not for value or as a bluff/semibluff but as a way to deny your opponent a chance to realize equity.

Try to start thinking like that as you make flop and turn bets