PokerTips.org Forums

PokerTips.org Forums (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/index.php)
-   Poker Stories (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Poker Stars Stole $600 from me (http://www.pokertips.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87470)

bogogota Sep 16, 2014 11:33pm

Poker Stars Stole $600 from me
 
Here are the simple facts:

1. I have never played on Poker Stars and wanted to give it a try, opened an account and deposited $600 with my visa.

2. My account was immediately frozen, I didn't play a single hand of poker or even sit at a table.

3. They requested that I send documents that contain in my opinion very sensitive information and that could be used to steal my identity, so I said "No thanks, please refund my money."

4. They refused to refund my money, at best this is extortion, at worst blatant theft.

5. My advice, if you don't want to provide sensitive personal information or have your money stolen. Avoid Poker Stars.

killcrazy Sep 17, 2014 12:42am

1. black text on a blue background doesn't work and you're a cock for using it.

2. if you'd bothered to read the terms and conditions on pokerstars, or indeed any other internet gambling emporium, you would realise that the information they are requesting is standard. if you had half a brain in your head you'd be glad of the level of security they provide when handling your money.

3. if what you say is true, which is almost certainly isn't, then there is an incredibly simple solution to your problem, but i'm not going to tell you what it is because i think evolution is a good idea.

Kc

bogogota Sep 17, 2014 1:28am

Here are the simple facts:

1. I have never played on Poker Stars and wanted to give it a try, opened an account and deposited $600 with my visa.

2. My account was immediately frozen, I didn't play a single hand of poker or even sit at a table.

3. They requested that I send documents that contain in my opinion very sensitive information and that could be used to steal my identity, so I said "No thanks, please refund my money."

4. They refused to refund my money, at best this is extortion, at worst blatant theft.

5. My advice, if you don't want to provide sensitive personal information or have your money stolen. Avoid Poker Stars.

bogogota Sep 17, 2014 1:35am

It is 100% true. Why on earth would I make it up? First you say it is common place then you say you don't believe it. Which is it?

You know what they say about people who attack the speaker instead of the argument killcrazey.

You are just another cyberbully punk who attacks people on the internet becuase you don't have the guts to do it in real life.

The point is if I had know that they do this I never would have deposited money with them, if you feel the same then don't.

bogogota Sep 17, 2014 2:54am

I did read the T&C. Here is the section that apparently means if you do not provide sensitive personal information they will refuse to refund your money:

4.3you will need to provide us with certain personal details about yourself (including details regarding your methods of payment) as well as (for the purposes of using the Service via the Mobile Software) consenting to our use of location-based services (LBS) to detect your geographic location, for the purpose of using the Service. PokerStars will process your personal details in compliance with the data protection laws and regulations of the Isle of Man, all in accordance with and as set out in our Privacy Policy. By the way here is the T&C section that apparently means if you do not provide sensitive personal information they will refuse to refund your money:

Not even broadly interpreted does this section imply that.

By the way, evolution is not an idea, it is a process. What exactly do think is at play here: mutation, genetic drift, natural selection, sexual selection? Do you think I am stupid and poorer, therefore have a reduced fecundity or that my offspring will not survive? If so you have a really poor understanding of population dynamics and distribution of wealth.



killcrazy Sep 17, 2014 3:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogogota (Post 1020059)
It is 100% true. Why on earth would I make it up?

i didn't say you made it up. it's more likely that you've omitted or misunderstood something. i'm erring towards the latter.

Quote:

First you say it is common place then you say you don't believe it. Which is it?
both; stars' practices are at or above the industry standard, and i have seen too many stories like yours that invariably end with the user have done something retarded or been unreasonable.

if you hadn't come in accusing pokerstars of extortion because they want you to prove your identity before processing funds in line with the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up, i might consider you more credible and be slightly more sympathetic, but you did so i don't and i'm not.

Quote:

You know what they say about people who attack the speaker instead of the argument killcrazey.
actually i attacked both, such as they were. your argument is strewn with gaping defects in logic. that isn't logic's fault.

Quote:

You are just another cyberbully punk who attacks people on the internet becuase you don't have the guts to do it in real life.
if you like.

Quote:

The point is if I had know that they do this I never would have deposited money with them, if you feel the same then don't.
well shit, it feels like this whole misunderstanding could have easily been avoided if pokerstars had taken the time to explain their policy on fund transfers and account verification. perhaps they could publish it on their website so that everyone could read it before trying to send them substantial amounts of money.

maybe it could say something like this:

"As part of PokerStars' licensing agreement and in compliance with anti-money laundering legislation, Users need to be aware they may be required to produce personal documentation (such as Government issued ID, bank statements and utility bills) upon request in order for their deposit or cashout to be processed. This allows PokerStars to help protect the Users and prevents PokerStars from being used as a vehicle for money laundering or fraud."

granted i'm not a lawyer, but that seems both robust and reasonable to me.

lets pause for a moment and ask ourselves exactly why you are terrified of providing this documentation to pokerstars...what exactly do you expect them to do with a picture of your passport? you think they're going to print it out and use it to smuggle black tar heroin into florida? they can do far more with your credit card number than they could with your bank account details, and you've already told them where you live so what the fuck are they going to do with proof of your address?

Kc

bogogota Sep 17, 2014 8:11pm

I am not surprised you are not a lawyer because you are a fucking idiot.

1. The wording of their T&C, even when broadly interpreted (do you understand what that means or do I have to translate it into moronic), does not come close to what they requested.

2. You make so many wildly fanciful assumprions that I cannot keep track of them and then when you cannot comprehend the simple words I use you chalk your stupidity to flawed logic on my behalf.

Speaking of evolution, why don't you do the world a favor and put a bullet in your head before you reproduce, oh let me guess, you have already "fathered" 5 future assholes with 5 different "baby moms", how close am I?

killcrazy Sep 18, 2014 1:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogogota (Post 1020062)
I am not surprised you are not a lawyer because you are a fucking idiot.

pretty much. how is being a genius working out for you?

Quote:

1. The wording of their T&C, even when broadly interpreted (do you understand what that means or do I have to translate it into moronic), does not come close to what they requested.
"As part of PokerStars' licensing agreement and in compliance with anti-money laundering legislation, Users need to be aware they may be required to produce personal documentation (such as Government issued ID, bank statements and utility bills) upon request in order for their deposit or cashout to be processed. This allows PokerStars to help protect the Users and prevents PokerStars from being used as a vehicle for money laundering or fraud."

unless they're asking you for a dna sample and a complete sexual history, i'm going to go with, "you're wrong".

Quote:

2. You make so many wildly fanciful assumprions that I cannot keep track of them and then when you cannot comprehend the simple words I use you chalk your stupidity to flawed logic on my behalf.
i quite like the sound of a fanciful assumprion. it sounds like something that nerdycute baker girl on masterchef would make. i'm thinking choux pastry with buttercream inside and chocolate poured over it...come to think of it, that's a profiterole...i wonder if there's somewhere i can get profiteroles at 2 in the morning...

we'll revisit this in a moment.

Quote:

Speaking of evolution, why don't you do the world a favor and put a bullet in your head before you reproduce, oh let me guess, you have already "fathered" 5 future assholes with 5 different "baby moms", how close am I?
well, you've correctly guessed my gender? that's probably closer to the toilet than you usually manage before disgracing yourself.

returning to the profiteroles:

that you choose to come in giving it the "pokerstars are thieves and extortionists" rather than the "i've had a problem with pokerstars, can anyone offer some advice?" is pretty telling.

from other comments you've made, it seems like you genuinely believe that pokerstars is some kind of outlaw operation whose business model is centred around scamming unsuspecting customers and holding up stagecoaches. this is simply ridiculous.

then there are the obvious lies you've told, like how you've been successful on other sites and they've never asked you to provide documentation to process a transfer, which is patent bullshit. i've done business with all the companies you list, in fact i've done business with dozens of online poker rooms, casinos, and bookmakers, and they have all, without exception, requested the documents pokerstars are asking you for.

finally, again, we must ask why you are opposed to providing the very reasonable documents pokerstars request, that they make clear they will request in their terms and conditions, which they are required to verify by law before processing transfers? you cite identity theft as a concern, which may be valid if they were some guy selling genuine snake oil from the back of a van but utterly absurd when they are a licensed operator required by law to demand and process the documents in question in order to perform the actions you requested. pokerstars are not interested in stealing your identity, and your credit card information is infinitely more valuable and exploitable than anything they have asked you to provide.

the weight of evidence is very much on pokerstars' side. if you want to stop behaving like a petulant child and present information pertaining to something other than your inexperience, immaturity, and questionable character, i'll be more than happy to look at it and give you the benefit of my 15 years professional experience in this industry. if you would prefer to continue trying to insult me, that's fine too, i will use you as a chew toy for the amusement of the rail.

Kc

darryl Sep 19, 2014 2:17am

KC, I would say don't feed the trolls except that we would have zero activity on the forum if I did. Well, minus me saying that.

-d

SwoopAE Sep 19, 2014 2:30pm

Everything killcrazy said is accurate

killcrazy Sep 19, 2014 7:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwoopAE (Post 1020067)
Everything killcrazy said is accurate

I never got my profiteroles though :(

Kc

PocketJokers Sep 20, 2014 11:56pm

Speaking of Masterchef, fuck that show. I've seen mob sponsored cock fights less fixed than that trash.

The Blind Asian chick literally had 0% chance of losing, and the judges even mentioned her final meal wasn't creative or that great...

Marketing!

killcrazy Sep 21, 2014 1:37am

which season was the blind girl? this is something i have to see.

did she make profiteroles?

so here is today's story. one of the guys in my building is out of town right now. his smoke alarm tripped yesterday afternoon. no fire, just a fucked up smoke alarm. it beeps all yesterday and all night and all through today, then at 22:30 four fucking fire engines rock up with the blues and twos. they cordon off the street and all these firemen come charging up the stair. i collar one to find out what the fuck and tell him the alarm's been going for two days, so if it's a fire, it's not a very good one. "that's nice", he says, "we're going to break into his flat anyway". about fifteen minutes later they apparently get bored of rooting around in my neighbour's flat and eventually one of them comes and tells me that it's just a faulty smoke alarm.

no fucking shit sherlock.

that's about a grand's worth of taxpayers' money right there...and the kicker? the fucking alarm is still going off...

Kc

darryl Sep 21, 2014 9:35pm

If it was a smoke/ Carbon Monoxide detector, then it may be worth them barreling on in. At least if it was CO that was setting it off. Then again if it was of any danger to you, your CO detector would go off.

Reminds me of the time I had the fire department almost break down my door, I happened to open it just in time. Apparently my water heater broke and was leaking into my downstairs neighbor's apartment. It told him to contact my insurance company and they would take care of everything. He never contacted them, so yay, my rates didn't go up.

-d

killcrazy Sep 21, 2014 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryl (Post 1020073)
If it was a smoke/ Carbon Monoxide detector, then it may be worth them barreling on in. At least if it was CO that was setting it off. Then again if it was of any danger to you, your CO detector would go off.

eh, i assume they're required to check for themselves. "oh yeah this guy we met said it was cool and we could all go back to the station and finishing watching americas craziest tattoo fiascos" probably isn't going to hold much water if half the city burns down.

Quote:

Reminds me of the time I had the fire department almost break down my door, I happened to open it just in time. Apparently my water heater broke and was leaking into my downstairs neighbor's apartment. It told him to contact my insurance company and they would take care of everything. He never contacted them, so yay, my rates didn't go up.
your boiler was leaking and rather than contact you, he rang the fire department? the fuck does that work? apart from anything else, surely it should be the police doing it, and even then, accidental damage to property doesn't give them the right to break into someone's home.

Kc

darryl Sep 23, 2014 1:55am

The guy worked 3rd shift, never saw him, didn't have each other's phone number. I was out cold and hungover, so apparently they were pounding on my door earlier, then I finally got up and heard more pounding and opened the door. He contacted the lady in charge of the apartments who didn't know what to do. *shrug*

-d

killcrazy Sep 23, 2014 3:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryl (Post 1020076)
He contacted the lady in charge of the apartments who didn't know what to do. *shrug*

...how did she not have a way to contact you?

normally i would tell you that your country is an idiot, but i'm living with an american now, so i've met my quota for that today.

Kc

darryl Sep 24, 2014 12:50pm

Good question, she could have probably looked it up, but I don't know.
Maybe she just freaked out because nothing like that has ever happened to her.

-d

killcrazy Sep 25, 2014 1:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryl (Post 1020078)
Good question, she could have probably looked it up, but I don't know.
Maybe she just freaked out because nothing like that has ever happened to her.

well, people are easily confused. just this morning i rang the hospital to find out where my appointment has got to, and they insist that i attended it two days ago.

Kc

darryl Sep 26, 2014 12:35pm

Hospitals aren't always the most smartest. Well, maybe it's the insurance companies. Apparently my wife's pap smear was a preexisting condition and they wouldn't cover it. The insurance company claimed that the hospital coded it that way.
Anyway, she has a bad case of the pap apparently.

-d

killcrazy Sep 26, 2014 2:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by darryl (Post 1020081)
Hospitals aren't always the most smartest. Well, maybe it's the insurance companies. Apparently my wife's pap smear was a preexisting condition and they wouldn't cover it. The insurance company claimed that the hospital coded it that way.

wtf is medical insurance, he said from his home in the civilised world. also civilised is spelt with an S, and spelt is spelt 'spelt', not 'spelled'. stop trying to cram Zs into words just so you're less hopeless at scrabble. also it's pronounced zed. fuck me that got complicated.

in any case, medical staff are pretty sharp, it's the admin drones that are clueless. your wife's cervical fiasco being a solid example.

that and it seems that every clinic and hospital department employ at least one receptionist who is a massive cunt, who thinks she is the linchpin around which the entire organisation revolves, and whose word is law despite her not knowing which end of the catheter to shove in the gaping cloaca that is her ego.

Quote:

Anyway, she has a bad case of the pap apparently.
well, she has probably had a cervix since birth. i'm thinking it might be an hereditary condition.

Kc

PocketJokers Sep 26, 2014 3:39pm

It was season three of american master chef. I always knew this shit was fixed but this time they blatantly threw it in your face.

I've had to stick to watching a select few Netflix shows now for my entertainment. Going threw sons of anarchy now. American stupidity at its most glorious.

killcrazy Sep 26, 2014 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketJokers (Post 1020083)
Going threw sons of anarchy now.

that was an okay show until it wandered off into the desert and got horribly lost...this seems rather common with US shows...probably something to do with syndication.

Kc

darryl Sep 27, 2014 4:06am

I think beyond just hospitals, just about all businesses have at least one massive cunt.
Well, I'm a little tipsy now and Shirley is licking my elbow for some reason. Shirley is my cat and I think she wants the computer chair to herself. Maybe she is the real cunt. It's my computer chair, you can sit on it all day when I'm not sitting at the computer. Why the hell do you jump up on to it when you know I'm about to sit down there?!?!

-d

PocketJokers Sep 27, 2014 7:15pm

There is your first problem, cats rather you not exist.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:53pm.

vBulletin 3.7.4 Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.