Thread: Ice Hockey
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:19am   #20
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr View Post
looks like he was frustrated about missing the chance just before the incident. things like this are bound to happen now, odds are high Cooke is going to brake someones leg in the next 5 games.
Yeah...And it's fucked up that this is how the game is.

Cooke seems to have regressed since heading out west? He'd cleaned up substantially towards the end of his tenure in Pittsburgh, but I'm seeing more and more what-has-Matt-Cooke-done-now threads of late.

Quote:
edit: oh, just saw he got a 2 game suspension for it. great, just in time for the matches against Buffalo and Arizona, let's show them who the real tank-job is! (rooting against your own team is somehow fun too )
if the referees miss a suspendable penalty...shouldn't the referee get suspended without pay too?

Quote:
you know the situation is dire if Dubnyk is your upgrade.
Dubnyk is a perfectly servicable NHL goalie. He's been good in Arizona, especially compared to Smith, and he was solid in Edmonton until Dallas Eakins took over and gong-showed the team. Give Dubnyk a decent goalie coach and some defensive support and he'll be fine.

Quote:
side effect of this is that two of our most productive goalscorers this season average 15min or less of ice time while usually being stuck on the 3rd...
The Minnesota Wild have prolific goalscorers?

I've heard complaints that Nino is being underused, who is the other? Zucker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
for the most part I agree but we weren't a disaster in the first quarter of the season and I still refuse to believe that we are this bad on paper.
Not wanting to rub salt in this, but take a look at the schedule. Wild went 11-7 in the first 18 games, but only 3-5 against current playoff teams (based on points per game rather than official standings). Those three wins were home against Tampa (6th in East); Tampa had played in Winnipeg the night before and had Nabokov in goal...for about seventeen minutes...and eight shots...and four goals...Nabokov sucks. An overtime win at home against the Sharks (7th in West), and an overtime win at home against the Jets (6th in West), with both teams playing the second of back to backs...also you blew a three goal lead in that one.

There are also some wins in there against teams we expected to be better. You wrecked Colorado twice, but now we see that the Avs have basically fallen apart after their breakout year. A couple of wins against the Stars who people were expecting to come on this year but really haven't, and a win against the Bruins, who are a shadow of their former selves.

But yeah, on paper the Wild aren't a lottery team; they're a team who should be fighting for a wildcard spot, but the team isn't built to get past the first round, and like you said earlier, it seems like they're finding it hard to care right now. A lot of that comes down to having a somewhat inexperienced, weak coach who doesn't seem to be able to motivate the team. His rant at practise the other day was hilarious. He can't even get pissed off effectively when he's about to be fired.

Quote:
yes, we could use another solid defender but I don't mind our defense.
My concern is more experience than talent. It feels like you really need to take Scuderi off our hands. We'll throw in Craig Adams if you need someone to fight Parise at practise?

What's your cap situation look like going forward? A couple of those young Dmen are coming off their cheapie contracts this summer, right?

I miss capgeek :'(

Quote:
yes, we could use a great C like Malkin, who doesn't.. but I don't mind Koivu and Granlund should have the talent to develop into a great center. we had a shaky start into the season but we still played a solid posession game and outshot our opponents in most instances.
I don't mind Koivu either, but he's a first/second line tweener. Which is fine if you have another one to play on the other line, but you don't.

Quote:
we won against Montreal at the beginning of december and had a 14-9-1 record. Just 6 weeks ago we had more points than Boston, SJ and the NYR!
Sure, but the Rangers are always slow out of the blocks because Lundqvist takes a while to get going, and Boston were all over the place at the start of the season and have settled into mediocrity. Neither team makes a particularly encouraging yardstick.

Quote:
then around christmas we lost 3 games in OT and somehow this broke the spirit of the team and they forgot how to play hockey ever since. I feel like they collectively realised that they have no realistic chance at achieving anything this season with Kuemps/Backs and they only give 80% since that realisation.
Feels like there is more to it than that. After several years, the first time things go against them they all fall apart? Not buying it. Goaltending aside, is it possible that Yeo is just getting outcoached? The Wild's system has been solved and he can't adapt?

Quote:
well, nobody has had the presentiment of Harding having a tendency to self-harm and to be honest I kinda believed in Kuemper as a new #1 after the incident. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until next season...
MS is a tough disease to get under control, and it would be folly to rely on Harding because of that. We'd seen about 30 games from Kuemper at .916, now we've seen another 30ish games at close to .900. Burden of proof is on him now, but plenty of goalies have taken time to mature, he's not a write off by any means.

Quote:
Quote:
florida have broken my spreadsheet since apparently they're rated higher than the penguins, blues and ducks..
does this mean that they've made you some money?
Some. There have been more teams that have been awkward and unbettable this year than there have been teams that stand out as moneymakers. The bookies seem to have picked up on Edmonton having won 2 of 20 games on the road now too so bang goes that bet. Still, Minnesota have made me some money, though probably not for the reasons you would like. I have the over in their game tonight at 2.35, so that's a win.

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!