Thread: Ice Hockey
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:30pm   #22
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr View Post
we got destroyed in the tank-game, I'll chalk this up to them having more experience in sucking. but hey, maybe something like this was needed to jump-start our team back up again?
having an nhl calibre goalie probably helps.

Quote:
he will always have a bad reputation but to be honest for the most part he plays a clean game. Scandella plays way dirtier and even Parise averages more PIM than Cooke. Of course there was the knee on knee incident against Colorado and everyone was quick to say "oh, cooke again! throw this guy out of the league!" even though it was his only serious slip-up I can remember in the last 2 seasons.
interestingly enough, cooke's suspension woes began right around the time michel therrien was waiting to get fired. yeo was an assistant here at that point...on the other hand he also got suspended at the end of the 2011 season, when his coach won the jack adams...

it does seem like he's someone who needs to be kept on a pretty short leash. or perhaps yeo wants him playing edgey hockey again. I haven't seen enough of the wild to say.

on a related note, reputation calls are the third dumbest category of penalty, after even-up penalties and this team is losing by 2 or more goals penalties.

Quote:
no, many suspendable penaltys happen when the players know the ref is looking somewhere else.
and many happen right in front of the referee but he's inexplicably lost the use of his right arm and/or his whistle. accountability for referees would be nice.

Quote:
I just don't trust goalies who are taller than 1.90. Some say the taller the better but I think there is a point where it affects your balance and agility. However he started out with a SO so I guess I'll stick by him for now.
it's true that it's uncommon for a tall man to be as agile as as a man of average height, but professional athletes are, by definition, physically remarkable, and what you can actually do is the only thing that matters. theo fleury was 5'6. didn't stop him putting up 1100 career points. bizarrely, despite being the size of a modest gnome-style garden ornament, he never played for the 2011 montreal canadiens...

Quote:
having a 3rd line who can produce is a good thing but there was a point about two months into the season where Pominville and Vanek both couldn't hit an open barn door while Nino played like king midas on skates with a ridicoulus sht% of around 20. Yet he rarely got top6 minutes and never got promoted to 1st PP, even when other players were hurt it was usually Coyle who got the nod which made people believe that Coyle must have polaroids on Yeo because it made no sense at times. But Nino turned invisible for the last 10 games so I guess Yeo succesfully stifled that fire...
well, it's a ballsy move for a coach to shunt the vet you just gave a $6.5 million contract to onto the third line and give his spot to a kid. favouring coyle would make sense if you want to keep nino paired with the same center? who was his center at the time? please say it was coyle.

Quote:
(yeo rant) to be fair, it really seemed like the players were durdling around there and I am not sure if I want him to go Torts-level angry but it is definitely questionable if he still reaches the team.
i think what you say is more important than how you say it. displaying emotion helps, but if you have nothing to say, why would anyone listen to you? he offered nothing constructive in that rant, just general "we're crap stop feeling sorry for yourselves" bollocks that does nothing for anyone. sure, torts often didn't say anything useful either when he went off on one, but at least you were left feeling like he genuinely cared about the team. that and his press conferences were always good value.

Quote:
(yeo outcoached?) maybe, it's hard for me to say without watching the games but when I look at the numbers like the game vs Chicago 8 days ago we have 44-20 shots on goal and lose 2-4 it feels to me like the system still works but the individual strenght isn't there at times.
that sounds familiar. i saw a bylsma interview once (actually more than once...a lot more than once) where he talked about getting 40 shots on net as if scotty bowman had appeared in a vision and imbued him with ancient esoteric hockey knowledge. then on the first shift tyler kennedy screams down the boards with no support and hammers a slapshot straight into the crest on the goalie's jersey, and you can see bylsma thinking, "okay, one down, thirty-nine to go..." this is the kind of thinking that leads you to completely abandon centre ice and predicate your entire strategy on stretch passes from deep in your own zone to the opposition blue line, where you'll get one shot off, probably, and then everyone skate back down to our end.

true, if you look at the top half dozen or so teams in shots/game you're going to see some familiar names, plus minnesota, but this stat is a poor one to track. what we should be asking is, how many good scoring chances are we creating per game? unfortunately, one of these can be tracked objectively, so that's the one we record.

but you're a goalie. would you rather face a team whose modus operandi is to take shots at you whenever and as soon as they get the chance, or a team that's going to set up and manoeuvre, keeping you and your defencemen moving about, tracking players and having to adjust angles until something shakes loose and then takes the shot?

Quote:
I think most of them will still have contracts, I know Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba do. And we are still about 3m under cap so there should be some wiggle room.
apparently coyle is getting a bump from .975 to 3.2, brodin from 1.444 to 4.167, and scandella from 1.025 to 4.000. granlund, haula, and folin are all rfa. dumba and spurgeon are up next year...better hope the cap goes up i guess.

Quote:
(betting)*Ding*
yeah, you can imagine how pissed i was when they announced that dubnyk was going to be available to start the game, given that my bet was based on both teams playing with an empty net. but at least whichever terrible sabres goalie it was...probably both of them...helped me out.

i quite fancy the capitals to do nashville tonight. they haven't lost in regulation since before christmas, and they potted us and the hawks since then. with rinne out, there might be some money to be made betting against nashville for the next few games because hutton really isn't very good. depending on how long rinne is gone for, this might be martin brodeur's next stop on his farewell tour of nhl teams that need a .900 goalie for a few weeks.

should also be mentioned that i bet this at 2.3 before yesterday's news about rinne filtered through to the bookies a couple of hours ago. the caps are sitting out at about 2.05 now. might still be value.

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!