View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:02pm   #29
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Here's the thing with power plants. Every little accident that happens in them is beaten thoroughly to death so that it doesn't happen again. All these incidences are incorporated into the new designs. Now if it's a new type of power plant i.e. plasma fusion, then there is certainly room for missing something.
correct. however the new systems introduced to overcome the deficiency or replace the deficient part are untested...on balance, i'd rather have a plant that's been operating for ten years without incident in my town than a new one that may or may not be safe.

Quote:
Hopefully something like this never happens again:
mechanical failure is unavoidable. not sure why you're citing a hydro station going tits up though?

one thing worth pointing out. popular support for nuclear power actually increased in the west after fukushima daiichi. catastrophic failure of a modern plant in a sensible country (i.e. not the soviet union) and er...nobody died. a certain amount of environmental damage, but far from the apocalypse certain groups had predicted.

Quote:
No one in the U.S. has any clue this happened because everyone was still talking about how Michael Jackson died. Even though it was a month or two after.
i'll be honest, i missed it too. industrial accident kills 50-100 people? that sounds like a pretty common occurrence. plus in scotland we were getting pretty into the abdelbaset al megrahi thing at the time.

Kc
I guess for me not knowing enough about power plants, I'm not sure what I'd rather have, but I wouldn't have an issue with a newly designed one being near my home. Just because a plant has been running for years doesn't mean it's safe, it could certainly be dumb luck that nothing catastrophic has happened, or it could be a fundamentally safe plant. The best way to know would be to ask the workers and engineers what they think of the plant.

No reason for mentioning the hydro station other than I'm pretty shocked it wasn't world news. If it was a nuclear power plant and there was a partial melt down - even with no injuries and everything being fully contained, it would have been huge news. Hell, even if there was no melt down, but the generators failed killing many people, it would have been huge news - just because being a nuclear power plant.

I guess as a whole the Soviets haven't been the most safe when it comes to doing stuff nuclear and otherwise, - another example world's biggest dirty bomb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!