View Single Post
Old Apr 01, 2015, 1:12am   #31
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I guess for me not knowing enough about power plants, I'm not sure what I'd rather have, but I wouldn't have an issue with a newly designed one being near my home. Just because a plant has been running for years doesn't mean it's safe, it could certainly be dumb luck that nothing catastrophic has happened, or it could be a fundamentally safe plant. The best way to know would be to ask the workers and engineers what they think of the plant.
they're pretty safe generally is the thing. i mean, the aggregate damage from every nuclear plant on the planet is significantly less than the aggregate damage of the equivalent energy production from fossil fuels. it's a bit like asking if you want to go and look at the lions or the tigers at the zoo. yes, there's a chance that their enclosure might fall apart at the exact same time some nutter with an air rifle bingoes them in the genitals and they go on a psychotic rampage, but the odds are pretty low...fuck it, lets go and see the little monkeys instead.

Quote:
No reason for mentioning the hydro station other than I'm pretty shocked it wasn't world news.
well...in 2014, 150 people died in a factory explosion in china. tell me what city it happened in, and what the factory made?

does this really matter? i mean it matters to them and presumably to the people who liked them, but i don't know anybody who lives in china, and that 150 of the 150000 people who died that day all happened to work in the same factory is completely irrelevant to me.

your evening news bulletin is about half an hour, what do you want that 30 minutes used on? would you prefer they use that time to tell you about the things that happened today that will or might affect you? or would you like thirty minutes of bad shit that happened to other people you've never met and that you can do nothing about?

of course your news bulletin is often saturated with bad shit that happened to other people you never met and that you can do nothing about, but not because it matters...

Quote:
If it was a nuclear power plant and there was a partial melt down - even with no injuries and everything being fully contained, it would have been huge news. Hell, even if there was no melt down, but the generators failed killing many people, it would have been huge news - just because being a nuclear power plant.
only epiphenomenally. it's not that it's a nuclear power plant, it's that the potential dangers of a nuclear meltdown are substantially greater and more widely felt than the potential dangers of a piece of machinery that has already fallen apart. it isn't going to keep falling apart.

Quote:
I guess as a whole the Soviets haven't been the most safe when it comes to doing stuff nuclear and otherwise, - another example world's biggest dirty bomb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster
mmhmm. although lets not forget that happened in the 50s when there were about a dozen reactors in the entire world and they had a combined service life of about 50 years. we had a major incident in the UK around the same time (less than two weeks later). ask wikipedia for "windscale fire". new technology has teething troubles. odd that.

we should probably pause and note that the risks of a reactor going tits up and doing damage pale in comparison to the dangers associated with the very existence of nuclear weapons, especially when you have madmen like kennedy and kissinger floating around.

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!