View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:14pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iestyn75
Not quite. Any weapon has, as part of its design, the threat of consequence when unleashed.
That's a very fine hair you're attempting to split, let us procede and expand.

Quote:
Thus, if someone flashed a knife at me in the street, me saying 'hey it's only a knife if he uses it' may, strictly, be true, but does fuck all for my heart rate. What is the intent of a man with a knife? To use it or not? I am entitled to call for help even if I don't know the answer.
correct, the intent and the action is what's important, not the object itself.

this getting uppity about the word gay is like me going, "OMFG! HE'S GOING TO STAB ME WITH HIS KEYS!" when I see someone unlocking his car door.

Quote:
The problem with words - written word perhaps even more than the spoken - is that here too the intent can be unknown.
Bollocks, when I say "that dog is gay" i mean "that dog is a thing that i do not like", there is no implied subtext, antihomosexual or otherwise. Passive aggressive my arse.

Quote:
Words (like weapons) can be out in the open, and the person speaking/writing may intend something which the listener/reader wholly misunderstands.
Yes and the error usually lies with the listener, who usually has some kind of pseudoliberal horsecrap going on in his own head.

Quote:
As it happens, I'm with Kc on the use of 'rape' in a non-sexual way. It isn't out of place. It's like saying that the countryside is raped by heavy industry etc..... But I also hold that we have a duty to take care with our choice of words, not just for fear of offending, but more because misunderstandings at the most basic level can lead to horrific misunderstandings down the line. Clarity in communication is important.
And I think anyone who gets bent out of shape about a word can suck my balls.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!