View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:53pm   #1
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone
Default A Reoccuring Problem With Hand History Posts

Something has concerned me about this forum's attitude towards discussing hands. Lately, I've noticed a lot of hand histories which are really nothing other than bad beat posts not-so-cleverly disguised as strategy advice solicitations.

I know what its like to be drawn out on with two outs. You get a sick to your stomach feeling that makes you want to sit someone down and explain to them how stupid your opponents are. Taking the hand history from a bad beat hand, copy pasting it on these forums, and asking "did I play this right" (all while really just looking for some sympathy) isn't helping any of us become better players. However, it does waste a lot of time.

Now, I'm all for posting bad beats in the "Poker Stories" forum for those real crazy 1 in 1,000 suckouts that just leaves you in tears. I mean... do share. But lets try to keep all bad beat posts in the Poker Stories forum.

It would bring me great joy to see the quality of discussions on these forums make some improvements. Here are two examples of hand histories that might help you understand what on Earth I'm talking about.

This is not a good hand history to post. This is nothing other than a bad beat:

I had 77, flop came 972. I bet, guy raised, I went all in, he called and showed 99. What did I do wrong? How would you have played it?!

We would have played the exact same way. This is a bad beat. There was nothing you could do to avoid losing lots of money. Welcome to poker. Post hands like this in the Poker Stories if you feel so compelled.

A good hand history to post might go something like this:

1/2 NL
I have AJ of hearts in middle position with a stack of $230
After it folds to me, I open for $6 and it folds around to the big blind, who, with a stack of $650, has been playing very loose, but strong.
He min-raises to $10, I call.
The flop comes A77, no hearts. He leads out for $25.
What do you do?
Whats the plan for the rest of the hand?

If you'll notice a few things about this hand, I did not show the results of the hand. I stopped giving readers information about the hand near the point in the hand where things became very confusing for me. By doing this, I am giving everyone a chance to be in my shoes, and give me some nice replies rich in content and analysis. When you post the whole hand and conclude with "he had AK", its much easier for everyone to second guess you by saying "you need to fold on the flop, blah blah blah" rather than feel challenged with a tricky situations that tests one's poker smarts.

So in the future, before you post a hand history for everyone to read, ask yourself:

1.) What is the purpose of posting this? To get a little sympathy, or to improve my game by learning more about situational play?

2.) Is it wise to post the entire hand history, or should I refrain from posting the results of the hand until members have had a chance to weigh in?

3.) Did I list all important facts that readers should know about this hand, such as position, blinds, tendencies of opponent, recent hands that might play a factor in the decision making of this hand, how many players are being paid (if it is a tournament), etc etc etc ?

A lot of you already know much of what has been said in this post, and if that is the case, then go on happily as though you never read this. For the rest of you, I hope this is really taken to heart.

I believe the quality of content on these forums as well as the quality of our poker abilities could grow considerably if we all worked towards discussing hands that challenge our poker smarts rather than our emotional fortitude. Cheers

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!