Thread: Chess
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:27pm   #7
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31 View Post
Their forums have a LOT of noise. There are good players and smart people there, but I rarely venture into those waters.
all forums do. more respect shown in chess than in poker though. fewer gobshites stating their opinions as fact and arguing with players who can crush them. in chess, when a stronger player corrects your analysis, you thank him.

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. They have people on there rated like 2900 who are probably average IMs. It is definitely inflated though.
well, there are probably some 2900s floating around who aren't much better than me, they just take an age over their moves. which is the other thing that screws up the ratings, there really is no time control. a 1600 averaging an hour per move is going to beat a 2000 playing instinctively most of the time.

Quote:
Good to know. I actually still have my Chess Canada membership card from when I was like 10, but I haven't played rated games since then.
When I was a kid I played a few local tournaments. They weren't 4 hour games though, I think they were just game 60 which I don't have trouble with, but for sure it would be a big adjustment.
eurgh G/60. not quite standard, not quite rapidplay. less than 30 or more than 90 imo.

you ever get rated? i can't remember how the canadian rating system works, think i would have been a CM at my best. US expert, and possibly a russian first catagory player. we don't fuck about with any of that silliness in scotland.

Quote:
Side note: I found some old men playing chess in a library on Monday night and had a couple games with them. Didn't get to play the Russian one named Yuri though. He was a very popular opponent. He only knew a few words in English, but he used them cheerfully almost as mantras during the game. During the opening he would quietly repeat "good position" in a singsong voice and when the game heated up, he would breath out "attack" every time he moved. Then when he won, he opened up a bag and gave his opponent and everyone watching a candy. Apparently he had been doing this for like the last 12 hours.
he probably wasn't russian. i sometimes pretend to be russian when i'm playing people who don't know me. i pretended to be an IM once, when i was playing my first season in edinburgh and didn't have a scottish grade; scribbled IM (my name) on my score sheet and put 2403fide down as my grade, he copied it and looked terrified for the first hour or so.

rarely find people playing chess in random places here when i played for the university we used to keep some boards at a local pub and play there for a couple of hours after the union closed. pub chess is fun, and you occasionally get drunken idiots suggesting moves.

or hot goth girls. that only happened once though.

Quote:
As an exercise, I'll annotate that and maybe we'll get some discussion. Not until later today though.
please. i anotated it already so we can compare notes

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!