View Single Post
Old Nov 03, 2010, 9:19am   #5
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
Either - what can I do this particular hand at this particular time in order to induce a mistake.

Or my range here is x and his is x. I can bet for value x and my bluffing range is x.
that's a good question

the way It ought to be done imo is this:

first, you come up with some good approximation of the ranges and construct some good GTO strategies for them in your head. Then you look where actual hand belongs. If your hand belong to the part which is a clear bet, you bet, process ends here. If your hand belongs to a part where it's probably a bet, but other options are reasonable as well, you go to step 2

so secondly, you consider your opponent. how will he respond to a bet? to a check? to a big bet? If you come up with something like "he will make a lot of mistakes when I check", maybe that hand that theoretically is a bet now becomes a check.

in summary, play GTO-ish, but with hands that are closish, adjust to your opponent.

the way I do it at the table:

for every hand there is some standard play as in "first" above, but it's not derived from theory, rather from experience. the second part, adjusting to the player, comes kinda intuitive as well. when there is a very loose player in the hand I will value bet weaker hands obviously. but it's done without thinking about theory, just whether I think it's good or not.

the only time I really think about a hand from the whole range on range perspective, like you ought to, is when post processing a hand. Or when looking for excuses to fold/call in a close spot. Like "I have the nut blocker, it's the best bluff catcher I could have".

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!