View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:22am   #16
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

lets not get carried away here. yes it's predictive, but if i drop hammer it falls to the ground. this is also predictive, but it isn't a complete theory of universal gravitation.

we are rapidly heading into a philosophy of science discussion. the goal of science is to describe reality, but scientific theories describe observation. it takes a long time before those theories come to describe reality because the universe is fucking awesome.

what we have at present is a series of observations of the form, "if i put pigs in, sausages come out, but if i put chickens in, the machine gets clogged with feathers". we are still at this stage even after so many years. just look at the LHC, our most important experiments are still just smashing shit together as hard as we can to see what comes out, and every time we get some new shit (or fail to) we can revise the theory a little bit.

the quantum mechanics paradigm shift reminds me of the phoney war. everyone knows its coming, but we've been waiting for a while now. it seems unlikely that we will have another einstein/newton style holy fucking shit moment where one guy solves our provincial understanding of everything. we will keep fiddling with the theory until we run out of ways to adjust it and then look back through the centuries and say "hmm, i guess bohm/witten/whoever was right".

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!