THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:27am   #1
AMDeluxe
Doyle Look-alike

AMDeluxe
Default poker genius (standard bad beat, not really worth reading)

So I sit down at a $25NL table, fold a couple of hands, then get dealt the second-best hand in poker - that's right, a pocket pair of pocket AAs. A couple callers in front of me, so I throw in $1; the BB raises me to $1.75. I chuckle to myself: the poor fool thinks his KK is good.

Little do I know, I am, in fact, facing one of the great poker geniuses - and, with a twisted irony, it is I, the gluttonous bourgeois pigdog, who is about to get his comeuppance

I make it $4; he calls, and the flop comes QT6. He checks it to me, and in my capitalist stupor I ignore the threat of the check-raised set; with a grotesque sneer I pump in another $4 of oppression. Probably I'm testing cosmetics on kittens. He calls; the turn's a 7. Checked to me again; my greed and better judgement compromise at $5. If only I knew the quality of my opposition...

River's an 8. Only now I realise the trap into which I've fallen. Fortunately he overestimates my - admittedly extreme - foolishness and checks; I check, and he turns over 99 for the straight.

I guess that's poker It still makes me want to cry.
AMDeluxe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:20am   #2
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Yeah that shit sucks. Today I flopped top two pair with AK, and someone hit a straight.

Then I flopped a 2nd nut flush, and the river gave the player with K4 the nut flush.

Fucking poker.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:24am   #3
AMDeluxe
Doyle Look-alike

AMDeluxe

I hate poker. We should take it out the back and beat the crap out of it. Son of a bitch.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:51am   #4
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, one other thing. After I lost that huge pot with KA, I was left with 2/10 of the buy in, and I flopped a full house on my next hand, and I doubled up the insignificant amount I had left. I didn't even have time to reload. If I did, I'd have probably broken even, since my opponent was loose as a goose.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:58am   #5
eugsti
Flop Artist

eugsti
Default it can hurt, really!!!

I have a PP 6. flop brings 244. Two pairs, I bet but not too hard. one guy calls, rest folds. Turn brings a 6. I bet harder but not all in yet. Don't want to scare away my only left over opponent. He calls. River brings a 9. So thats it for me, all in. He calls. He shows PP 9. I went straight from big plus to big minus. Now did I act stupid or what would you call that?
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:11pm   #6
pokerpro888
Flop Artist

pokerpro888

I play limit (.5/1), but that is why I bet what I think are my winning hands at every opportunity. I may leave some money in other's pockets by playing strong, but not nuts, hands too strongly but at least in my mind winning more smaller pots makes up for it.

I do slow down with really strong hands, but any top pair or middle set I go after. You did have top set but not very strong. (I've found one of the few more annoying things than losing to a higher set is having the 2nd nut straight. filling in a str8 holding k9 while other holds AK, and filling in a q high straight with opponent holding kq.)
pokerpro888 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:21pm   #7
AMDeluxe
Doyle Look-alike

AMDeluxe

I really just want to cry. I swear, every chance for someone to draw out on me has been exploited by the rng.
Like: me: 9sTs. Flop 8s8cJs. I bet. Turn 2s. I bet. River 2h. I check call. Other guy turns over 2c3c ?! I curse violently.

Poker is definitely, completely, without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt, rigged.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:20pm   #8
cetacean
Grinder

cetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: it can hurt, really!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugsti
I have a PP 6. flop brings 244. Two pairs, I bet but not too hard. one guy calls, rest folds. Turn brings a 6. I bet harder but not all in yet. Don't want to scare away my only left over opponent. He calls. River brings a 9. So thats it for me, all in. He calls. He shows PP 9. I went straight from big plus to big minus. Now did I act stupid or what would you call that?
Since you asked, I'll answer, but if you really want help, post hands (not simple bad beat stories like this though ) in the strategy sections.

You played it fine. Depending on whether it was limped or not, you might worry on the flop about a slow played 4x, but better to bet and potentially get reraised than not. The turn was your magic cards, betting there is good. The river looks innocuous enough, so a push there is fine.

You will give a lot of bad beats, just like you will take a lot of them. It's all part of the poker circle of life.
cetacean est déconnecté   Reply With Quote