THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:51am   #1
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough
Default Another kind of bad beat

After 17 consecutive tournaments without cashing, I finally do well in one. 6th in chips with 10 people left (of 1272) in the 50+5 on stars. 13.5K to the winner. I've been playing great and feel good about my chances even though I'm a bit shortstacked.

Then my Internet connection died! I tried for a few minutes to get it working again. Hm, is there someone I can call who can finish this tournament for me. No, it's past 2 AM here. Great, now what do I do? Last time I checked all my neighbors had encryption configured on their wireless networks, so I won't be able to use those. I have to at least try. Nope, no one has left it unsecured. Hm, maybe one of the other buildings here...

So I put some pants on and take my laptop outside. I scan for wireless networks in at least 5 different spots until I find one that works. This has taken me 15 minutes or so.

I start up my Pokerstars client and see that I'm still in the tournament. 8 people left. But of course I'm a lot more shortstacked than before. I get dealt rags for a while, and then I just have to push my A9 from two before the button, since I only have a bit more than 3 BB. I get called by KQ. Three low cards, another low card, a low card, AND A MOTHERFUCKING QUEEN!

I got $985.80 for 8th. Better than nothing I suppose. And there's also no way my battery would have lasted long enough to win the tournament.

The most annoying part of this is that it may be my own fault. I may have forgotten to pay the bill.

Last edited by Fredrik; Jun 20, 2007 at 1:55am.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:58am   #2
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
The most annoying part of this is that it may be my own fault. I may have forgotten to pay the bill.
This is a perfect example of how your actions can cause the bad beats you take. I guess all those results-oriented people were right afterall.

BTW, that sucks man, get better internet and/or remember to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:59am   #3
Blade
Flop Artist

Blade

Using the neighbours wireless! The dedication! Nice effort. You should have got first for that.

Last edited by Blade; Jun 20, 2007 at 2:02am.
Blade est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:03am   #4
Blade
Flop Artist

Blade

It would have been cooler if you just busted down the neighbours door and downloaded pokerstars.
Blade est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:12am   #5
Fredrik
Professional

I'm back in my apartment now, and I'm writing this on my other computer, so my Internet connection is definitely working now. That kills the forgot-to-pay-the-bill theory. So it was my ISP's fault, not mine. It still sucks though. I lost thousands of dollars in cash EV there, and possibly as much as $12.5K in real money.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:14am   #6
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Your internet provider chose quite a time to shut it off. I'd be so pissed if that ever were to happen to me (less the non payement of bills of course).
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:23am   #7
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Too bad you don't have a friendly neighbor. Just in case that were ever to happen to me, my neighbor gave me his encryption code so voila, emergency internet.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:26am   #8
Fredrik
Professional

Quote:
I get dealt rags for a while, and then I just have to push my A9 from two before the button, since I only have a bit more than 3 BB. I get called by KQ. Three low cards, another low card, a low card, AND A MOTHERFUCKING QUEEN!
Hm, "three low cards, another low card, a low card" and then the MFQ would make it six cards. I guess you guys knew what I meant anyway.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:21am   #9
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So I put some pants on and take my laptop outside.
I like this bit.
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:58am   #10
bluelips
Grinder

bluelips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusg View Post
I like this bit.
Why would you play poker wearing pants?
bluelips est déconnecté   Reply With Quote