THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old May 11, 2010, 11:04am   #1
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default @Ozone, Twogun - Politics props on Intrade

Arlen Specter to win the Democratic nomination for 2010 Pennsylvania Senate is paying 25.0 on Intrade, his actual odds are lower than 5.0 at the moment

I was on this a while back (not for money but I felt Sestak was better 50% even when Specter was 80.0)

Anyway, just giving you guys an opportunity to win your money back that you lost betting politics with me

Throwing $500 on this (Specter to lose nomination/Sestak to win) to win $250 is a very very solid investment, which should have a >100% ROI on average if you were to make the bet right now 100 times.

I'll do some more analysis to put an exact line if either of you actually want to bet, i'll throw on a bit with you (don't have an intrade acct can do xfer from whatever site) if either of you are interested. If you are let me know and i'll do an hour or so's research to confirm the actual odds, Specter is between 5.0 and 10.0 at the moment on a quick look.

Consider this my election betting guide

For anyone who doesn't know, i'm about 11/12 in politics prop bets lifetime at an average of about 1.5-1 in my favour (won two 5-1s in my favour, rest all at evens or close, lost a 5-1 in my favour)

I'll be putting any good politics bets here for the remainder of the leadup to the 2010 US election

@Mods move to the rail if you like I dont mind either way

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:12am   #2
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

BTW it's too early to bet on any house/senate races yet, Republicans to retake house at 46.0 is a bad bet, it's more like 28-30 at the moment but i'll know for sure one way or the other a few weeks out.

Dems to control senate is a lock, you can lock that in if you can get anything under 85.0 worst case for the dems is basically losing 8 seats and picking up zero barring several major unforseen scandals and that still gives them 51 with Lieberman (who isn't a guarantee) and Sanders (who is a lock to caucus with them)

In any case if you can find it under 90 it's +EV and under 80 it's an easy four figure bet.

I'll have more info closer to the elections in any case and can find some actual lock bets for anyone who wants to make free money. The senate races should provide some good value this year, in some cases on the D and in other cases on the R.

@Ozone have you been doing any intrade betting recently?

Old May 11, 2010, 11:25am   #3
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

There's going to be value in one of the lines on how many seats the R's game in the house but I have to wait a few months until some of my favourite analysts do their thing before i'll have a decent range.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/ has solid analysis as do several progressive blogs.

FL-Sen will be easy to call a few weeks out, not yet though. At this stage Rubio (R) is actually decent value at 44 I think although I wouldn't bet on this race until I see how Crist's I bid starts out

PA-Sen could go either way although the D nominee at 30.0 is good value on Intrade (i'm assume it's Sestak and he's only polling 2 behind the right wing extremist the Rs have nominated)

D-Feingold to hold WI is good value at 75.0

Missouri will have good value on one of the candidates but I don't know which yet

R candidate to win KY is good value at up to 80 is good value if you can get it.

Old May 19, 2010, 1:13pm   #4
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
FL-Sen will be easy to call a few weeks out, not yet though. At this stage Rubio (R) is actually decent value at 44 I think although I wouldn't bet on this race until I see how Crist's I bid starts out

PA-Sen could go either way although the D nominee at 30.0 is good value on Intrade (i'm assume it's Sestak and he's only polling 2 behind the right wing extremist the Rs have nominated)

D-Feingold to hold WI is good value at 75.0

Missouri will have good value on one of the candidates but I don't know which yet

R candidate to win KY is good value at up to 80 is good value if you can get it.
R to win KY isn't good value at 80 anymore since the Dems nominated the better of the two candidates and the Reps nominated the worse of the two. R's should still win but don't bet it at 80 yet.

Everything else here is still good value. Rubio is good value at up to 50. Feingold is good value up to 80.

Wait and see on PA-SEN but I have a feeling that 30 is either going to become 20 or 55 within a couple weeks and 55 is slightly more likely. Toomey is a really, really bad candidate in a blue-purple state.

Old May 11, 2010, 6:16pm   #5
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
@Ozone have you been doing any intrade betting recently?
No.

Also, I'm amazed how confident you are in these picks. I mean, for all I know it's justifiable, I just don't know how you have any information that makes you think you can beat the market.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:39pm   #6
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

I dunno, he gonna research bout an hour. Solid imo.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 6:42pm   #7
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

I did lol at the comment on those progressive blogs. That might be buying past peak.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 6:53am   #8
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytrick View Post
I did lol at the comment on those progressive blogs. That might be buying past peak.
I mean some of them do independent polling, they've been pretty accurate going back to 2004 when Bush won

Obviously the opinion is biased/overly optimistic for the Ds

But if you want to set a line on how many seats the Rs will win in the house and Senate i'll consider taking the under depending what line/odds you set

Old May 19, 2010, 1:15pm   #9
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Quote:
In my experience, Nate Silver has never been far off. I think he's a Democrat (i'm not sure) but his analysis beats the market every time.

Old May 19, 2010, 1:25pm   #10
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Quote:
I dunno, he gonna research bout an hour. Solid imo.
By the way on this point... put your money where your mouth is and bet against me on the next one?