THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:43pm   #1
whitespirit
Fish

whitespirit will become famous soon enoughwhitespirit will become famous soon enough
Default QQ v AK..advice please, had a bad beat :\

This evening I was dealt pocket queens on the button, when a mid position player raised 6 x big blind.

After my re-raise and a call from him, the flop comes - 7, 2, 4.

I've pinned him on AK or AQ. He raises all-in, to which I called instantly. He has AK.

Turn comes and presents nothing to save him.

On the river he hits the Ace. It was unfortunate but realised it was one of those times where it 'just happens' and odds worked against me.

I was wondering if you guys have any comments on this.

I thought my play was rather standard and had him pinned. Is there anything you would have done differently or maybe shoved sooner? This all happened on the first blind level - just unfortunate I guess.
whitespirit est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:14pm   #2
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

My advice would be to not think that you can pin someone on one or two hands with so little action. His range is much wider than AK/AQ there.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:45pm   #3
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

My advice is to focus on the important stuff. Stack sizes, blind levels, buyin, your image, and your read on your opponent are the things that you should be thinking of and telling us.

Above is correct, his range includes KK and AA in most cases. Unless you have a good read, unlikely, and one question would be do you really think you can put him on AK sufficiently often enough to stack off with a one pair hand on the first level of a tourney?

Why?

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:04pm   #4
whitespirit
Fish

whitespirit will become famous soon enoughwhitespirit will become famous soon enough

I see what you're both saying. I've see him play before and he was a regular player who's betting was fairly standard. After realising he had a premium hand, I narrowed it down to either a pocket pair or a couple of over cards.

His raise all-in on the flop baffled me but I guess with no other face cards on show, I guessed I was safe.

Ah well, was a good hand and I definitely learnt from it
whitespirit est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:30pm   #5
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespirit View Post
I see what you're both saying. I've see him play before and he was a regular player who's betting was fairly standard. After realising he had a premium hand, I narrowed it down to either a pocket pair or a couple of over cards.

His raise all-in on the flop baffled me but I guess with no other face cards on show, I guessed I was safe.

Ah well, was a good hand and I definitely learnt from it

Why cant he have AA or KK?

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:09am   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespirit View Post
I narrowed it down to either a pocket pair or a couple of over cards.
so, a minute ago he had AK or AQ, now he has about a third of the deck?

Kc
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:32am   #7
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

If you think you're ahead, your call is fine. You need to work out whether you're ahead of or behind the whole range of hands he could have rather than any one individual hand.

That said, you made the correct call in this instance and you got unlucky. Don't be results oriented. Similarly, if you had the AK here and he had QQ you would have made a mistake regardless of the results in getting it in behind.

As played, you made a good read and got it in ahead. That's all you can do in poker, let variance sort the rest out.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote