Turn 9
River K

Or a trapped straight:

Hole Cards: 78

Flop 5 6 A
Turn 8
River 9

No flushes possible on either board.

How reluctant should I be to call when my most optimistic thought is split pot?

Obviously many variables to consider. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:02am   #2
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

Your better off posting specific hand than a generalization.
Pot size / bet sizing is going to influence the answer

Obviously you should call less if you think your best case is a chop.
But I would be much more likley to call when in the second example when I only lose to a unlikely 107 combo vs the first when numerous combos beat me.

But like I said post whole hand history
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:15am   #3
kdaam
Flop Artist

kdaam is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for being too vague. I prefer to discuss things to consider in this situation rather than super specific answers.

Parameters:
Live Cash Game $1-$2
Effective stacks 200BBs
Hero has TAG image

Folds to Hero in MP who opens for 5BBs
Thinking LAG calls in CO
BB calls
3 to Flop
Hero bets 3/4 pot LAG calls BB folds
Turn Hero c/c to induce bluffs from floats and missed draws and to control pot size OOP
River???

2nd Hand

Same betting sequence.
I'll change the cards to make a better straight more likely.

Flop
Turn
River

So is well within villains range but any 97 could have floated.

Scenario 2 villain is TAG.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:43pm   #4
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

1st hand - ck fold on river. Probably fold on turn, 3/4 bet is fairly large for a live player and there aren't really any probable bluffs in his range after he calls your bet on A95r. When your calling the turn your hoping he is incorrectly betting ax and will shutdown the river.

2nd hand - I prefer just betting the turn and probably bluffing the river unimproved. In general a 1/2 live player will call to much on flop/turn and then fold to much to big river bets. Basically your not going to fold this turn to one bet card so I prefer making it yourself over check calling.
In general I rarely "donk" lead without the betting lead but I would probably lead this river fairly small if I was playing a 1/2 live game. If he raises I call unless it a crazy overbet sizing in which case I might find a fold.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:40pm   #5
kdaam
Flop Artist

What if you flop 2 pair on a wet board and get counterfeited?

Hole Cards

Flop

Turn

River

or

HC

F

T

R
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:29am   #6
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaam View Post
What if you flop 2 pair on a wet board and get counterfeited?

Hole Cards

Flop

Turn

River

or

HC

F

T

R
I going to assume the action goes you raise preflop on cutoff/ he calls on BTN and blinds fold. You make decent sized bets on flop and turn and get called.

Hand 1 - I ck call the river. He almost always raises better before the river on this board and almost always folds a bare 10 on the turn. The only hand that is really beating you is 10hxh. I might ck fold against some players because it such a bad spot to bluff.

Hand2 - I probably either ck fold, or ck shove if we are deep enough. He has a decently wide value range of any ace because nobody ever cks trip aces behind the river even when maybe should.

Your hand is probably the best one in your range to turn into a river ck shove since you have double blockers to all of his possible boats. I wouldnt do this is if you believe opponent is the type to think trip aces I call which could easily be the case at a 1/2 live game or micro stakes online. But against a player on the more nitty side at these stakes I think it is a cool spot for a bluff.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:15pm   #7
kdaam
Flop Artist

Quote:
I going to assume the action goes you raise preflop on cutoff/ he calls on BTN and blinds fold. You make decent sized bets on flop and turn and get called.
Yes.

Let's make the board scarier:

HC

Flop

Turn

River

Same betting sequence.

Last edited by kdaam; Mar 18, 2013 at 4:19pm.
kdaam est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:10am   #8
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaam View Post
Quote:
Yes.

Let's make the board scarier:

HC

Flop

Turn

River

Same betting sequence.
I dont think this is that much different than before
Instead of 10hxh you lose to Khxh and now also AQ and AJ. Everything else that beats you usually raises flop or turn on this coordinated of a board.

You probably should be more inclined to ck fold then before but I still probably ck call.

For the same reason as the 89s hand I might occasionally go for the crazy ck shove here if your deep enough. It is extremly unlikely he made a boat when he just flats the turn + considering your blockers. Against the right player with the right image a check shove will win not just his bluffs but also fold out all his value hands better than A10.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:25pm   #9
kdaam
Flop Artist

You're not worried about JQ?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:20pm   #10
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
Everything else that beats you usually raises flop or turn on this coordinated of a board..
With two flush draws and potential action killing river cards (J or Q) JQ is raising the turn.