THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:20am   #331
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Has anyone seen the movie Computer Chess?
I thought it would be like a Christopher Guest type movie. Well, I was disappointed. I just thought it was pretty bad. It's slow moving, the characters don't really get developed and it's really not even funny. Even the scenes with the swingers are just kind of awkward. It would be far more interesting to be an actual documentary. Maybe I missed the point.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 07, 2014, 10:23pm   #332
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

this Carlsen\Nakamura game is pretty interesting I know I would snap play D6
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2014, 12:31pm   #333
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

d6 on which move? watching an 18 minute video to figure that out seems excessive.

Kc
Old Feb 08, 2014, 5:15pm   #334
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

This position white to move, d6 seem to just flat out win a piece which it does but it actually opens the door to a remarkable swindle. d6 is one of the worst moves for white. Turns out black is basically in zugzwang and white would be better of just playing a waiting move with the queen or ka2

Old Feb 08, 2014, 6:33pm   #335
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute

so...d6 Nxd6 Nxd6 Rd8 Nmoves Rd1+ Ka2 Qe6+ Kb2 Qb6 and mate follows?

we can take the b6 square away with Nc8 after Rd8, in which case Kxg7 and white can maybe hold with Ne7...lot of pawns to deal with but i don't see a knockout from there...Rd1+ Ka2 Qe6+ Qxe6 fxe6 Rh6 Rd7 Nc8 then what? not the easiest endgame for white but it's not dead.

time was presumably a factor here. no way a master misses that if i saw it so quickly.

1,Qg4 threatening Rh6 anyway.

Kc
Old Feb 08, 2014, 6:50pm   #336
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

Yeah Basically. Nakamura even missed Nc8, played Nc4.
Computers basically say d6 went from forced win to somewhat even.
Nakamura was in time pressure

Why the position is kind of unique is its a middle game zugzwang.
After almost any move but 1.d6, and black just loses.

Say 1. Ka2, black cant move queen or rook, Nd6 just loses the knight other knight moves allows d6, and moving the b pawn allows for the d6 and now blacks queen is blocked from joining any attack on whites king through the b file.

Last edited by joeyjoejoejr; Feb 08, 2014 at 7:07pm.
Old Feb 08, 2014, 8:15pm   #337
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
Yeah Basically. Nakamura even missed Nc8, played Nc4.
mm. when this kind of thing happens it's usually because the master has seen something you missed rather than the other way round,

Quote:
Computers basically say d6 went from forced win to somewhat even.
forced win is a bit strong. +- certainly. i'd say after the line i have, the position is =+, possibly -+ and conceivably but almost certainly not =.

Quote:
Why the position is kind of unique is its a middle game zugzwang.
depends on how you define zugzwang. most people use it to mean "whatever i do i'm fucked", in which case any forced mate is zz. i prefer to reserve it for positions where the player loses if he must move but draws if he can pass.

Quote:
Say 1. Ka2, black cant move queen or rook, Nd6 just loses the knight other knight moves allows d6, and moving the b pawn allows for the d6 and now blacks queen is blocked from joining any attack on whites king through the b file.
sure, but how many times are you going to pass with your king? black still has positive moves here. 1.Ka2 b5 2.Ka1 b4 3.Ka2 b3+ 4.Nxa3 and black is ahead. so what actually happens is, after b5 white plays something else like Qf1, breaking his attack and allowing black to move some other stuff. black is going to lose but people lose all the time.

so yeah, crush crush crush blunder lose. pretty standard tbh

Kc