THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:20pm   #11
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
i mean, it's this simple sentence that makes me feel like a turd: "You can still lose even if you make the perfect, on point, spot on, correct, EV+, whatever the fuck you want to call it, decisions." Poker is gambling, straight up. At least with games like DOTA or Starcraft your skill level always generates results on the plus side, or actually, anything that isn't gambling in life, like music, or studying.
My Dad said the same about Chess, "there's an element of luck in poker, Chess on the other hand is all skill, no luck".

I explained to him that, yes that's true, but if you're intending to make money from your chosen strategy game, Chess is not an option, a bad Chess player will nearly always lose, so they give up pretty quickly, it's no fun to lose every game.

With Poker on the other hand, bad players can win, and luckily for us, they frequently do, so they're constantly coming back looking for that big score.

It's one big BORING grind building up a BR from $10 (I've done it), the strategy required to beat microstakes is mind-numbingly boring. You're better of getting a crappy minimum wage job somewhere and saving up your wages to invest.

Just be realistic, if you can't be bothered with Poker strategy/self-discipline, then play fun fun as you said.

Also, getting pissed and stoned every five minutes doesn't help, it never helped me anyway lol, apparently weed used to help Skeptix, but it never did shit for my game hahaha.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:56am   #12
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

There is no good performance enhancing drug for poker like there is steroids in baseball. You actually have to know how to play and execute.

Although I would imagine getting high would help with the variance frustration
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:18am   #13
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Adderall?

I imagine that would help, never tried it so I don't know.

Basically any mild stimulant that doesn't completely screw you up, my personal fav is cocktail of nicotine and caffeine. I'm sooooo hardcore! lol

I think chewing coca leaves would help you stay focused too, stops you getting a huge dopamine/seratonic spike from taking coke in pure form, which could turn you into an arrogant overly-aggressive dweeb, maybe it would help some people's game I dunno.

I'm against any sort of drug experimentations when I play seriously though, last time I played I never drank for 4 months, and when I did I used the temp ban function on the poker sites, coz I don't trust "drunk Mike" with a $1000 roll haha.

EDIT: Coz (true story), once I got pissed, watched Rounders, and you know at the start where he takes his whole BR to the table coz he's sick of "his life being a grind" or whatever, I tried to do exactly that coz I agreed with his BS, luckily for me when I was sober I banned myself from playing coz I know what I'm like when drunk...

Actually that night I got banned from chat coz I started playing play money games on tilt and was telling people who handed me bad beats to die of cancer, not a gg...

Last edited by MikeAK47; Aug 15, 2014 at 8:25am.
MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:48am   #14
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

That is awesome. I never heard of anyone banning themselves.

So how much was your "Sick of the grind" BR at the time? Was the plan to play a high level s-n-g or something else?

The only time I did something like that I quickly went back to my normal stakes because it was horrifying.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:40pm   #15
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK47 View Post
My Dad said the same about Chess, "there's an element of luck in poker, Chess on the other hand is all skill, no luck".
of course there's luck in chess. there's luck in everything. there's just no vulgar expression of random chance the way there is in poker. except the bit where you draw for colours.

Quote:
I explained to him that, yes that's true, but if you're intending to make money from your chosen strategy game, Chess is not an option, a bad Chess player will nearly always lose, so they give up pretty quickly, it's no fun to lose every game.
demonstrably false. i know extremely poor chess players who've been playing for 50 years.

Quote:
With Poker on the other hand, bad players can win, and luckily for us, they frequently do, so they're constantly coming back looking for that big score.
it's more subtle than this. the skill/luck balance is such that i would figure to win 10 games out of 10 if we played chess, but i would probably only win ~6 games of poker.

the human brain really isn't very good at judging this kind of thing. " sometimes you win, sometimes i win, we probably both win about half the time" is going to be your experience of any win % from about 35% to 65%.

moreover, your experience of playing chess with me is that i crush you, and this will be obvious not only by the results, but by the play itself. you will be constantly under pressure, your king will be hunted and your pieces will consistently find themselves disappearing back into the box. you will never feel like you are doing anything other than delay the inevitable. but in poker, your experience will be that sometimes i win and sometimes you win, and when you lose it's going to feel like you just didn't hit your draws or i got lucky and made some big hands. even in the games i win, you're going to win some battles.

even if we're recording moves/tracking hands, you aren't going to be able to see the subtle things that add up to my edge, but you will experience their manifestations more directly in chess, where there is nowhere to hide, than in poker, when you can't see my cards.

Quote:
It's one big BORING grind building up a BR from $10 (I've done it), the strategy required to beat microstakes is mind-numbingly boring. You're better of getting a crappy minimum wage job somewhere and saving up your wages to invest.
the grind has a purpose, and that purpose is discipline.

Quote:
apparently weed used to help Skeptix, but it never did shit for my game hahaha.
really? i don't remember him ever saying that. skeptix clearly has aspergers though, so if he also has the accompanying OCD, then weed is going to have value. i used to know a guy who played great chess when he was light to moderately wired. when he was straight he played too slow and got into time trouble. whatever your mental problem is, there is probably a drug that will get rid of that for you, at a slight cost to general performance. if your defect is severe enough to be more detrimental than the cost to general performance, take the drugs.

Kc
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:24am   #16
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to killcrazy again.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:02pm   #17
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

I am still waiting for an answer mike.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:04pm   #18
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

Haven't really got anything to say, Kc's response was flawless.

I'll just quote Ozone...

"Blah blah blah KC is right" - Ozone
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:24am   #19
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
No I'm a guy who wanted to get alot of money quick because of poker after dark/high stakes poker/wsop so i wouldn't have to be a wage slave and ended up losing 10 grand in the process to a game that can't beaten even if you know everything about it

Graph is a few months old but should be enough to disprove this statement, and there are a lot of people better than me at poker.

You should revise your statement to 'poker can't be beaten playing the way I like to play, which is not game theory optimal'

We've tried to help you but clearly you don't get it with arbitrary rules like 'don't go all in on the second hand'. Each hand exists independently of each other hand.

For what it's worth i'm currently on a larger than 10k downswing without playing badly, variance happens in tournaments. That said, what happens in your case is you play badly. Yes, you can fix that, but you don't seem to have any inclination to.

Last edited by SwoopAE; Nov 29, 2014 at 2:28am.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:31am   #20
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

Hey swoop....here we are in 2014, older.

I think my last post I said I got a new job. Been working there a few months. Pulling in a fixed amt end of every week... it's not bad.

I'm not sure whether it's good, bad, or neither, but seeing your image there has refueled my drive to continue playing...and try and become an expert.

I read an article earlier today where some study was done concluding that it takes on average 10 years to become an expert at something. 25 now....

I apologize for any disturbing stuff I may have said in the past...Of course I had to revisit these boards, seeking information once lost.

And KC....you were right about me. I definitely have OCD and impulse control as a mental disorder of sorts...mixed with poker you'll probably get my current result.

The strange thing is...lately it's been an idea that beating poker will actually make me a better person, and winning money is just a side effect.

Anyway, I hope you've all been doing well given the weird climate the globe has been in the past few months.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote