THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:31am   #11
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Any guesses as to how close we are to practical fusion energy
about 150000000 km

Quote:
and if it would be portable?
question is invalid. you don't need a generator in all of your devices to power them, you just need an electricity grid and cells that can be charged from it. we have those. bob's your aunty's special friend.

Kc
I'm thinking of portability more for long term things far from Earth. Yes, obviously on earth, just charge things from the grid.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:33pm   #12
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

okay, well, fusion is not a problem. all you need is some hydrogen and a temperature of >10^7 K.

"cold fusion" would violate our current understanding of physics. it isn't happening any time soon.

Kc
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:35pm   #13
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

Fusion and fission suck because they cause mass destruction and rapid extermination of life.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:46am   #14
darryl

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of

Well by that logic then...
never mind, I'm not even going to start.

-d
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:37am   #15
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Russia signed a deal with Jordan apparently letting them build a nuclear plant. There's some fission/fusion there no? I guess that's an application of efficient energy, what happens when a rod breaks and green goo gets sprayed all over the place?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:18pm   #16
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
Russia signed a deal with Jordan apparently letting them build a nuclear plant. There's some fission/fusion there no? I guess that's an application of efficient energy, what happens when a rod breaks and green goo gets sprayed all over the place?
fortunately this particular nuclear plant is being built by Rosatom rather than Columbia TriStar.

conventional pressurised water reactors are fueled by pelletised uranium oxide, which is black rather than green, contained in a zirconium alloy rod with a tensile strength of around 380 MPa (55000 psi)

pressure (Pa) = force (N) x area (m^2)

which can be rearranged as

N = Pa/m^2

I have in my possession a claw hammer, with a mass of approximately half a kilo according to my bathroom scales. its face has an area of ~1.3×10^-3 m^2.

the area is 1.3×10^-3 m^2, and the necessary pressure is 380MPa, therefore the force we would need to generate with our hammer to crack the zirconium alloy rod is:

N = 3.8 x 10^8 Pa / 1.3 x 10^-13 m^2
= 3.0 x 10^11 N

the Newton is the SI unit of force, defined thusly:

force = mass x acceleration

N = kg x m/s-2

again this can be rearranged to give:

m/s^2 = N/kg

and plugging in our known values

m/s^2 = 3.0 x 10^11 / 0.5
= 1.5 x 10^11 m/s^2

a retired navy seal with over 200 confirmed kills was measured to be able to move our hammer through the necessary distance in 0.2 seconds, therefore, in order for him to be able to overcome the tensile strength of the zirconium alloy rod, the velocity of the hammer at the time of contact would need to be:

(dv = v1 since v0 = 0m/s)

a = dv/dt therefore dv = a x dt

dv = 1.5 x 10^11m/s^2 x 0.2s
= 3.0 x 10^10 m/s

or approximately one hundred times the speed of light...

and so, we can conclude that even a retired navy seal with over 200 confirmed kills wielding a standard soccer riot grade claw hammer would be categorically incapable of damaging our zirconium rod and spraying green (black) goo (pellets) all over the place. most likely, you are thinking of a glow stick.

Kc
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:59pm   #17
darryl

So what happens to the tensile strength when it melts because some unforeseen circumstance prevents the proper neutron moderation?

I'm not saying this will happen or anything, if it's a newly designed plant and all of the employees are properly trained to handle as many scenarios as possible, it will be safer than pretty much any other power plant of any type.

I guess to answer my own question, it would melt and the radioactive materials would be released and one would hope that the containment room does it's job.

Oh and KC, your calculations failed to include special relatively adjustments - not that it matters, you got your point across.

-d
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:37am   #18
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Lmfao....that was fun to read, so i guess the chances of a rod breaking and spraying the goo everywhere is about as likely as me hitting the flop sandwiched between two agressive 200+ bb stacks with 50bb stack holding j9hh...

Any tips on how to win $100 at 1/2 live friday? haha...

man though whats the terror threat like in the UK anyway? i just got a new smart phone and its basically like a small computer...pretty nuts

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 26, 2015 at 2:49am.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:17am   #19
darryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
Any tips on how to win $100 at 1/2 live friday? haha...
1. Wear your lucky socks and make sure you didn't wash them after the last time you won.
2. Consult with your psychic advisor/life coach on what your lucky hands will be for the day.
3. Only deviate from 2. if you have a really good feeling about it. A good feeling about it isn't good enough.
4. After winning, go into rehab.
5. Good luck!

-d
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:31am   #20
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Hahaa....dude, do u have a smart phone? I just upgraded mine spent $400 LOL. Also, write me the operational definition and criteria for addiction