THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:08pm   #21
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
great, just in time for the matches against Buffalo and Arizona, let's show them who the real tank-job is!
we got destroyed in the tank-game, I'll chalk this up to them having more experience in sucking. but hey, maybe something like this was needed to jump-start our team back up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Cooke seems to have regressed since heading out west? He'd cleaned up substantially towards the end of his tenure in Pittsburgh, but I'm seeing more and more what-has-Matt-Cooke-done-now threads of late.
he will always have a bad reputation but to be honest for the most part he plays a clean game. Scandella plays way dirtier and even Parise averages more PIM than Cooke. Of course there was the knee on knee incident against Colorado and everyone was quick to say "oh, cooke again! throw this guy out of the league!" even though it was his only serious slip-up I can remember in the last 2 seasons.

Quote:
if the referees miss a suspendable penalty...shouldn't the referee get suspended without pay too?
no, many suspendable penaltys happen when the players know the ref is looking somewhere else.

Quote:
Dubnyk is a perfectly serviceable NHL goalie.
I just don't trust goalies who are taller than 1.90. Some say the taller the better but I think there is a point where it affects your balance and agility. However he started out with a SO so I guess I'll stick by him for now.

Quote:
The Minnesota Wild have prolific goalscorers?
some of them have even more than 12 goals!

Quote:
I've heard complaints that Nino is being underused
having a 3rd line who can produce is a good thing but there was a point about two months into the season where Pominville and Vanek both couldn't hit an open barn door while Nino played like king midas on skates with a ridicoulus sht% of around 20. Yet he rarely got top6 minutes and never got promoted to 1st PP, even when other players were hurt it was usually Coyle who got the nod which made people believe that Coyle must have polaroids on Yeo because it made no sense at times. But Nino turned invisible for the last 10 games so I guess Yeo succesfully stifled that fire...

Quote:
A lot of that comes down to having a somewhat inexperienced, weak coach who doesn't seem to be able to motivate the team. His rant at practise the other day was hilarious. He can't even get pissed off effectively when he's about to be fired.
to be fair, it really seemed like the players were durdling around there and I am not sure if I want him to go Torts-level angry but it is definitely questionable if he still reaches the team.

Quote:
Feels like there is more to it than that. After several years, the first time things go against them they all fall apart? Not buying it. Goaltending aside, is it possible that Yeo is just getting outcoached? The Wild's system has been solved and he can't adapt?
maybe, it's hard for me to say without watching the games but when I look at the numbers like the game vs Chicago 8 days ago we have 44-20 shots on goal and lose 2-4 it feels to me like the system still works but the individual strenght isn't there at times.

Quote:

What's your cap situation look like going forward? A couple of those young Dmen are coming off their cheapie contracts this summer, right?
I think most of them will still have contracts, I know Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba do. And we are still about 3m under cap so there should be some wiggle room.

Quote:
Still, Minnesota have made me some money, though probably not for the reasons you would like. I have the over in their game tonight at 2.35, so that's a win.
*Ding*
balthazarr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:30pm   #22
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr View Post
we got destroyed in the tank-game, I'll chalk this up to them having more experience in sucking. but hey, maybe something like this was needed to jump-start our team back up again?
having an nhl calibre goalie probably helps.

Quote:
he will always have a bad reputation but to be honest for the most part he plays a clean game. Scandella plays way dirtier and even Parise averages more PIM than Cooke. Of course there was the knee on knee incident against Colorado and everyone was quick to say "oh, cooke again! throw this guy out of the league!" even though it was his only serious slip-up I can remember in the last 2 seasons.
interestingly enough, cooke's suspension woes began right around the time michel therrien was waiting to get fired. yeo was an assistant here at that point...on the other hand he also got suspended at the end of the 2011 season, when his coach won the jack adams...

it does seem like he's someone who needs to be kept on a pretty short leash. or perhaps yeo wants him playing edgey hockey again. I haven't seen enough of the wild to say.

on a related note, reputation calls are the third dumbest category of penalty, after even-up penalties and this team is losing by 2 or more goals penalties.

Quote:
no, many suspendable penaltys happen when the players know the ref is looking somewhere else.
and many happen right in front of the referee but he's inexplicably lost the use of his right arm and/or his whistle. accountability for referees would be nice.

Quote:
I just don't trust goalies who are taller than 1.90. Some say the taller the better but I think there is a point where it affects your balance and agility. However he started out with a SO so I guess I'll stick by him for now.
it's true that it's uncommon for a tall man to be as agile as as a man of average height, but professional athletes are, by definition, physically remarkable, and what you can actually do is the only thing that matters. theo fleury was 5'6. didn't stop him putting up 1100 career points. bizarrely, despite being the size of a modest gnome-style garden ornament, he never played for the 2011 montreal canadiens...

Quote:
having a 3rd line who can produce is a good thing but there was a point about two months into the season where Pominville and Vanek both couldn't hit an open barn door while Nino played like king midas on skates with a ridicoulus sht% of around 20. Yet he rarely got top6 minutes and never got promoted to 1st PP, even when other players were hurt it was usually Coyle who got the nod which made people believe that Coyle must have polaroids on Yeo because it made no sense at times. But Nino turned invisible for the last 10 games so I guess Yeo succesfully stifled that fire...
well, it's a ballsy move for a coach to shunt the vet you just gave a $6.5 million contract to onto the third line and give his spot to a kid. favouring coyle would make sense if you want to keep nino paired with the same center? who was his center at the time? please say it was coyle.

Quote:
(yeo rant) to be fair, it really seemed like the players were durdling around there and I am not sure if I want him to go Torts-level angry but it is definitely questionable if he still reaches the team.
i think what you say is more important than how you say it. displaying emotion helps, but if you have nothing to say, why would anyone listen to you? he offered nothing constructive in that rant, just general "we're crap stop feeling sorry for yourselves" bollocks that does nothing for anyone. sure, torts often didn't say anything useful either when he went off on one, but at least you were left feeling like he genuinely cared about the team. that and his press conferences were always good value.

Quote:
(yeo outcoached?) maybe, it's hard for me to say without watching the games but when I look at the numbers like the game vs Chicago 8 days ago we have 44-20 shots on goal and lose 2-4 it feels to me like the system still works but the individual strenght isn't there at times.
that sounds familiar. i saw a bylsma interview once (actually more than once...a lot more than once) where he talked about getting 40 shots on net as if scotty bowman had appeared in a vision and imbued him with ancient esoteric hockey knowledge. then on the first shift tyler kennedy screams down the boards with no support and hammers a slapshot straight into the crest on the goalie's jersey, and you can see bylsma thinking, "okay, one down, thirty-nine to go..." this is the kind of thinking that leads you to completely abandon centre ice and predicate your entire strategy on stretch passes from deep in your own zone to the opposition blue line, where you'll get one shot off, probably, and then everyone skate back down to our end.

true, if you look at the top half dozen or so teams in shots/game you're going to see some familiar names, plus minnesota, but this stat is a poor one to track. what we should be asking is, how many good scoring chances are we creating per game? unfortunately, one of these can be tracked objectively, so that's the one we record.

but you're a goalie. would you rather face a team whose modus operandi is to take shots at you whenever and as soon as they get the chance, or a team that's going to set up and manoeuvre, keeping you and your defencemen moving about, tracking players and having to adjust angles until something shakes loose and then takes the shot?

Quote:
I think most of them will still have contracts, I know Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba do. And we are still about 3m under cap so there should be some wiggle room.
apparently coyle is getting a bump from .975 to 3.2, brodin from 1.444 to 4.167, and scandella from 1.025 to 4.000. granlund, haula, and folin are all rfa. dumba and spurgeon are up next year...better hope the cap goes up i guess.

Quote:
(betting)*Ding*
yeah, you can imagine how pissed i was when they announced that dubnyk was going to be available to start the game, given that my bet was based on both teams playing with an empty net. but at least whichever terrible sabres goalie it was...probably both of them...helped me out.

i quite fancy the capitals to do nashville tonight. they haven't lost in regulation since before christmas, and they potted us and the hawks since then. with rinne out, there might be some money to be made betting against nashville for the next few games because hutton really isn't very good. depending on how long rinne is gone for, this might be martin brodeur's next stop on his farewell tour of nhl teams that need a .900 goalie for a few weeks.

should also be mentioned that i bet this at 2.3 before yesterday's news about rinne filtered through to the bookies a couple of hours ago. the caps are sitting out at about 2.05 now. might still be value.

Kc
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:06pm   #23
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
I think the first thing we need to fix is the goaltending and by fixing I don't mean Dubnyk who will serve as a less funny Bryz for this season.
how foolish will I look after Dubnyk wins the Vezina?

but, yeah, ahem...: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOBBBBIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
it's true that it's uncommon for a tall man to be as agile as as a man of average height, but professional athletes are, by definition, physically remarkable, and what you can actually do is the only thing that matters.
Dubnyk still looks a little bit shaky when he has to leave the crease but his wide butterfly is a thing of beauty and his mental game seems to be on point so far.

Quote:
Quote:
(yeo outcoached?) maybe, it's hard for me to say without watching the games but when I look at the numbers like the game vs Chicago 8 days ago we have 44-20 shots on goal and lose 2-4 it feels to me like the system still works but the individual strenght isn't there at times.
Quote:
true, if you look at the top half dozen or so teams in shots/game you're going to see some familiar names, plus minnesota, but this stat is a poor one to track. what we should be asking is, how many good scoring chances are we creating per game? unfortunately, one of these can be tracked objectively, so that's the one we record.
from the looks of it, it wasn't all bad as we are now in the top10 for goals per game as well.

Quote:
but you're a goalie. would you rather face a team whose modus operandi is to take shots at you whenever and as soon as they get the chance, or a team that's going to set up and manoeuvre, keeping you and your defencemen moving about, tracking players and having to adjust angles until something shakes loose and then takes the shot?
I was playing in youth leagues where I think you could make a case for 'more shots on goal = more goals' as sooner or later the puck is bound to roll in somehow. This obviously doesn't translate to NHL-level goaltending except you are playing the Oilers.

Quote:
apparently coyle is getting a bump from .975 to 3.2, brodin from 1.444 to 4.167, and scandella from 1.025 to 4.000. granlund, haula, and folin are all rfa. dumba and spurgeon are up next year...better hope the cap goes up i guess.
to be honest, I have no clue about the finance/trade-side of things as I am too busy atm to follow such things. Last time I checked the scores I didn't even know half of the team: Leopold, Bergenheim, Stewart? Who are these people?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:14am   #24
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
how foolish will I look after Dubnyk wins the Vezina?
told you he was good.

not going to win the vezina though, that's going to price. habs fans will be insufferable. i mean even more insufferable, given that they've done nothing but blether on about how great price is since he was drafted.

Quote:
Dubnyk still looks a little bit shaky when he has to leave the crease but his wide butterfly is a thing of beauty and his mental game seems to be on point so far.
actually you're wrong. the reason dubnyk is enjoying such success is because of a revolutionary new goaltending technique called "moving your head to see what's going on". it's now (apparently) illegal to pass comment on dubnyk without emphasising this at the exclusion of all else.

Quote:
from the looks of it, it wasn't all bad as we are now in the top10 for goals per game as well.
i'm being very cautious with minnesota right now. they slumped hard and then got hotter than the sun. still very difficult to evaluate them, though i stand by my argument that the team is built weird.

first round match up is critical. i think optimal is to finish 4th in the division and get the wild card spot against anaheim. not because anaheim are weak, i just think st louis and nashville are going to be a tough fit for the wild.

Quote:
I was playing in youth leagues where I think you could make a case for 'more shots on goal = more goals' as sooner or later the puck is bound to roll in somehow. This obviously doesn't translate to NHL-level goaltending except you are playing the Oilers.
well, scrivens is better than anything buffalo have. of course it doesn't help that buffalo have traded away 47 goalies this year.

in any case. guy comes tearing down the boards and fires the puck directly into the crest on your jersey. unless you pull an nhlpa 94 and suddenly dive four feet to your right for no reason, that's never a goal, but it is a shot. not all shots are created equal.

Quote:
to be honest, I have no clue about the finance/trade-side of things as I am too busy atm to follow such things. Last time I checked the scores I didn't even know half of the team: Leopold, Bergenheim, Stewart? Who are these people?
it was easier when we had capgeek, it was a great source of information. now i have to actually remember things.

and those guys are your deadline additions. i remember those. i also remember all our draft picks and prospects mysteriously turning into pumpkins come june. thanks shero.

pretty good pick ups for you. stewart could be a diamond. came into the league and made a big noise about 5 years ago, then sort of faded away.

Kc
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:11pm   #25
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

I embrace the tank
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2015, 7:41pm   #26
balthazarr
zahltinbar

Quote:
first round match up is critical. i think optimal is to finish 4th in the division and get the wild card spot against anaheim. not because anaheim are weak, i just think st louis and nashville are going to be a tough fit for the wild.
hmm, not sure about this one. Out of the 3, we have our worst record against Anaheim this season... then again, we are the underdog against all of them, so I don't really care that much who we will play, I am just glad we made it to the playoffs.

Quote:
Point proven

Quote:
pretty good pick ups for you. stewart could be a diamond. came into the league and made a big noise about 5 years ago, then sort of faded away.
stewart has been really solid so far, seems like he fits in very well.

so, now I need to ask the obvious: what the hell is going on with the penguins? seems like they have been falling apart during the last month... I only saw some highlights but they seemed to be lacking in concentration and/or playing kinda frivolously (vs. columbus f.e.). I know Letang is out but apparently the problems started before that?
Old Apr 09, 2015, 1:06am   #27
killcrazy
Apex Predator

oh how glad am i that this thread got bumped.

also how glad am i that game center lets me watch the game in the afternoon when normal people are at work so that nobody heard all the yelling.

Quote:
Quote:
hmm, not sure about this one. Out of the 3, we have our worst record against Anaheim this season... then again, we are the underdog against all of them, so I don't really care that much who we will play, I am just glad we made it to the playoffs.
my thinking with the ducks was that they've struggled in the postseason. that coupled with their goalies' relative inexperience might make them the best chance for an upset.

they're looking strong to win the conference though, so it's st louis or nashville for you...and you know, maybe that's a good thing. the wheels seem to be coming off nashville, 6-8-3 since the start of march, and the worst road record of the western playoff teams...the blues have won one playoff series in three years...it's really hard to point to a team in the west and say "them. they will fuck everyone up". i think there's cause for some serious optimism in minnesota. you have a hot team at a time when there isn't really a monster team on your side of the league.

Quote:
Quote:
Point proven
yeah, not such a convincing argument when the goalie is the guy who has to play backup to ben scrivens...

might i recommend asking youtube for "vesa toskala 197 foot goal". that should get you where you need to be.

Quote:
Quote:
stewart has been really solid so far, seems like he fits in very well.
he's a guy i was hoping we'd go after, and a 2nd round pick in 2 years time seems like a good price. unfortunately our GM thought it better to spend a 2nd round pick, and a 4th round pick, and a fringe player...on daniel fucking winnik.

so far, he has failed to shit rainbows, and the only reason pens fans aren't spitting feathers about this is that right around the time we saw what that package could buy we inexplicably traded simon despres, a 6'4, 220lb. 23 year old, #4 defenceman who moves the puck well, hits like a train, and is more than happy to punch your face through the back of your head. on a team that lacks size and toughness, we took this man, a man who actually managed to make rob scuderi look like his future should be something other than being taken round the back of the consol energy center and shot through the head, we took this man and we traded him for a bucket of sloppy marshmallow goo who handles the puck like a donkey, hasn't won a battle against the boards since 1994, and who constantly forgets which side he's supposed to be playing on, eventually settling for standing right in front of the goalie perfectly screening him from the trauma of actually seeing an opposing player shooting the puck.

that's assuming of course that the nearest opposing player is at least ten feet away. if they're crashing the net, lovejoy is probably floating around the hash marks facing the wrong direction.

and what makes all of this worse is that we already had this gonzo turd of a player in the organisation once, and we rejoiced when we managed to find someone in the west who didn't know who he was, and who gave us a 5th round pick for him...so putting the two trades together, we traded a sledgehammer on skates of a 23 year old #4 defenceman for a 5th round pick. we are fucking awesome.

Quote:
so, now I need to ask the obvious: what the hell is going on with the penguins?
i kinda pre-empted this didn't i...

Quote:
seems like they have been falling apart during the last month... I only saw some highlights but they seemed to be lacking in concentration and/or playing kinda frivolously (vs. columbus f.e.). I know Letang is out but apparently the problems started before that?
26-12-2 and 54pts in our first 40 games, 16-14-10 and 42pts in the 40 games since then. that's what happened.

it's not just letang, of course, but fuck shane doan and fuck the nhl for letting him get away with it. i don't remember the last time ehrhoff was healthy for longer than five minutes, though underwhelming would be a not unfair adjective to apply to him while he is healthy. on top of that, maatta got cancer followed by a fucked shoulder that took him out for basically the entire season. that's three of our top four. now factor in the despres trade, and last night our defence looked like this:

paul martin - ben lovejoy
rob scuderi - ian cole
derrick pouliot - taylor chorney

the rant about the forwards got very long so i cut it. the guys on my team you can name, they are awesome. the ones you can't are just dogshit. assuming you know we got hornqvist from nashville in the summer, if not then that happened, and he's been a gem for us.

coach is all over the place. in particular he seems to have a pathological hatred of malkin, insisting on sending him out with players so bad that he very nearly lamped one of them for being shit as they skated off after a shift last weekend. meanwhile we have david perron, who should be a 25G/50P guy (who has one point in his last ten games) playing with sutter (who every time i see him assume must be adopted because there is no fucking way that came out of brent), and a 23 year old kid (our only homegrown forward not named sid or evgeni) who put up 21 points in his first 47 games and who looks like he could be a handy winger if he wasn't stuffed onto the 4th line with max lapierre and craig fucking adams.

thanks. i needed that. i mean i've already done this three times today, once each at both of my flatmates and once at the wall, but i think another six or seven goes and i'll feel a bit better.

the entire office needs to be gutted. johnston came in saying the right things and has a great mind for hockey, but he can't coach, the players don't seem to care, and he's worthless as a bench boss. rutherford i feel isn't entirely master in his own house - the despres trade was apparently orchestrated by AGMs who were here when lovejoy was shipped out tied to the back of a mule three years ago - but he needs to go, as does the rest of the brain trust. oh yeah that's a point. we fucked up our cap so bad that we had to play a few games with 19 players. so there's that.

thing is, this isn't new. flip back a few years in a penguins forum and you can see people prophesying this kind of doom. shero did a great line in shit drafting and dumping off prospects and picks for overvalued underperforming rentals. on the rare occasion something beautiful did land in his lap, dan bylsma played a 500 goal future HOF right winger on the wrong fucking wing, on the third fucking line. shero is gone, and we're still doing this. we're going into the deepest draft in a decade with one pick (2nd) in the first four rounds...rutherford and johnston inherited a tire fire, but all they've really done is pour gasoline on it.

our only hope is mike babcock. give him as much money as he can stuff in his pockets, give him total control over his coaching team and as much GM authority as he wants, and let him fuck as many of mario's daughters are legal if it gets him to pittsburgh. i don't know why on earth he would want to come here, but we're boned if he doesn't.

is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

Kc
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:08pm   #28
balthazarr
zahltinbar

Quote:
oh how glad am i that this thread got bumped.
I had a feeling that you might want to get some things off your chest

Quote:
might i recommend asking youtube for "vesa toskala 197 foot goal". that should get you where you need to be.
to be fair, even though it's from farther away, because of the unpredictable bouncing I think that one is much harder to stop than a straight slapshot from centre ice.

Quote:
we traded a sledgehammer on skates of a 23 year old #4 defenceman for a 5th round pick. we are fucking awesome.
yeah this trade doesn't make a ton of sense. I did some research and apparently they wanted more experience for the playoffs over long term quality which sounds like some bs to me. Then I found some rumors about him having some off-ice disciplinary issues which sounds like even more bs. Even if that was the truth, just trading him away seems like the worst option to deal with something like this...

Quote:
the guys on my team you can name, they are awesome.
what about Kunitz? he gets some heat on the pens boards.

now for some play-off predictaments!

St. Louis - Minnesota

For some reason I am not very optimistic. They have more individual strenght and they really don't want to drop out in the first round again. I have to pray Dubnyk steals some games and hope their goaltending becomes an issue.

Prediction: St.Louis in 6.

Nashville - Chicago

I'd rather play Nashville in the second round than Chicago. Roman Josi is probably the best Swiss player in the NHL right now so I have to root for the Preds anyway. On the other hand I have a ton of respect for the Blackhawks. Their team has a lot of depth and experience. Also their coach looks always so bad-ass behind the bench.

Prediction: Chicago in 6.

Anaheim - Winnipeg

Winnipeg has always been a pain in the ass to play against this season. Their goalie has been pretty good lately and they seem to have a great team spirit as well. I feel like this match-up will be much closer than most people predict.

Prediction: Anaheim in 7.

Vancouver - Calgary

I saw a couple of Flames matches this season. They are very fun to watch and even though I am not a fan of Hartley and his antics I will be rooting for them. I don't know much about Vancouver other than the Sedins and that they have changed their logo from a cool looking skate to a fish-shaped c, or is it a c-shaped fish? All I know is that I own 3 hockey jerseys from back when I was playing: one from my favourite swiss team, a red blackhawks and a black vancouver one because I thought they looked sweet. Ever since they changed their logo I can't care for them anymore...

Prediction: Calgary in 7.

Montreal - Ottawa

Couple weeks ago this would have been a very easy pick. Now Pacioretty is hurt and the Senators and their goalie are running hot but I don't see them getting past the team with the lowest GAA of the pre-season.

Prediction: Montreal in 6.

Tampa Bay - Detroit

Everybody loves Datsyuk and Zetterberg, too bad they don't get younger. I don't see them having much of a chance against a team that seems to be better on every level.

Prediction: Tampa Bay in 6.

New York - Pittsburgh

I hate to say it but I feel like this is the most lopsided match-up. I saw half of the match against the Isles and to me they didn't look like a team that is about to pull off an upset against the presidents trophy winner.

Prediction: Rangers in 5.

Washington - Islanders

Who gives a shit.

Prediction: Someone in 6.

Draft Lottery next saturday will be exciting, i just hope the Bruins or Avs don't win. Also rooting against some boring teams like Carolina and Arizona. For some reason I would like the Oilers to win.

Prediction: Flyers win the draft.

Last edited by balthazarr; Apr 13, 2015 at 12:30pm.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:03pm   #29
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
I had a feeling that you might want to get some things off your chest
it doesn't help that i've been suppressing a lecture on probability every time i read penguins boards for the last week or so.

Quote:
(toskala) to be fair, even though it's from farther away, because of the unpredictable bouncing I think that one is much harder to stop than a straight slapshot from centre ice.
he tries to glove it though. that's why it gets past him. which is surely suboptimal anyway. there's nobody within about 50 feet of the goal, just let it hit you and look for a pass.

also, "patrick roy statue of liberty".

Quote:
yeah this trade doesn't make a ton of sense. I did some research and apparently they wanted more experience for the playoffs over long term quality which sounds like some bs to me. Then I found some rumors about him having some off-ice disciplinary issues which sounds like even more bs. Even if that was the truth, just trading him away seems like the worst option to deal with something like this...
if we'd floated him on the market at the draft we'd have got a much better return than ben lovejoy. someone's going to give you a first rounder for him.

experience is valuable, but experience doing what exactly? a #6 defenceman isn't bringing you veteran leadership, not unless he's an aging former top 4 player with 100+ playoff games and multiple cup runs to his name, rather than a career ahl guy who managed to get a run in the nhl because ray shero was in charge of a team and we had shit for defencemen that year even when we were healthy. and saying this, i can see the argument for having a guy like scuderi because of his experience, but he needs to be paired with a guy who can cover for his senior moments, not a younger less talented version of himself on a bad day...i can only assume that the people paid absurd salaries to make these decisions thought it was scuderi making despres look good, and not the other way round.

Quote:
Quote:
the guys on my team you can name, they are awesome.
what about Kunitz? he gets some heat on the pens boards.
i hoped you couldnt name him. i forgot he went to the olympics that time because they needed someone to carry crosby's spare personality.

kunitz is showing his age. he's still good for ~40pts but the deterioration has been rapid. the main reason he's getting shit is that for most of the season he just hasn't looked like he wants to be there. i expect some level of interest in what's going on around him when he's being paid like $2500 per minute of ice time.

Quote:
St. Louis - Minnesota

For some reason I am not very optimistic. They have more individual strenght and they really don't want to drop out in the first round again. I have to pray Dubnyk steals some games and hope their goaltending becomes an issue.

Prediction: St.Louis in 6.
it's st louis, disappointing playoff performances is kinda their thing.

i ran numbers on these using data from the regular season (which means nothing, i only mention this for reasons that will shortly become apparent) and came up with the following probabilities:

min: 0.49999
stl: 0.50001

and i'm inclined to agree. too close to call. i wish minnesota were at home so i could give them it in 7, but as it is, minnesota in 6.

Quote:
Nashville - Chicago

I'd rather play Nashville in the second round than Chicago. Roman Josi is probably the best Swiss player in the NHL right now so I have to root for the Preds anyway. On the other hand I have a ton of respect for the Blackhawks. Their team has a lot of depth and experience. Also their coach looks always so bad-ass behind the bench.

Prediction: Chicago in 6.
hawks are the better team, but kane is broken. rinne is coming in pretty cold, but he's still pekka rinne. neither team is lighting any fires right now, but i think i agree with you here, hawks in 6.

Quote:
Anaheim - Winnipeg

Winnipeg has always been a pain in the ass to play against this season. Their goalie has been pretty good lately and they seem to have a great team spirit as well. I feel like this match-up will be much closer than most people predict.

Prediction: Anaheim in 7.
i dont see them as much as you, but i feel like winnipeg are an ugly team who win or lose dirty. not sure how anaheim will respond after 5 or 6 games of that. longer the season goes the more it favours winnipeg...pavelec has been strong from about the start of march onward, but just like rinne is still rinne, he wakes up every morning and he's still ondrej pavelec...i'll go with ducks in seven, playoff inexperience hurting the jets in the end.

Quote:
Vancouver - Calgary

I saw a couple of Flames matches this season. They are very fun to watch and even though I am not a fan of Hartley and his antics I will be rooting for them. I don't know much about Vancouver other than the Sedins and that they have changed their logo from a cool looking skate to a fish-shaped c, or is it a c-shaped fish? All I know is that I own 3 hockey jerseys from back when I was playing: one from my favourite swiss team, a red blackhawks and a black vancouver one because I thought they looked sweet. Ever since they changed their logo I can't care for them anymore...

Prediction: Calgary in 7.
canucks have won _one_ playoff game since blowing that game seven 4 years ago, but that's one more than the flames have won...this feels close, so i'll take the home team and say vancouver in 7.

Quote:
Montreal - Ottawa

Couple weeks ago this would have been a very easy pick. Now Pacioretty is hurt and the Senators and their goalie are running hot but I don't see them getting past the team with the lowest GAA of the pre-season.

Prediction: Montreal in 6.
couple of weeks ago i was betting ottawa to win every game and doing rather nicely with it.

if price was coming in hot this would be a no brainer, but he isn't. flipside of that is ottawa's goaltending is going to come back down to earth at some point. hammond is not that good. i need to be bold somewhere, so patches back for game 1, and montreal in 5.

Quote:
Tampa Bay - Detroit

Everybody loves Datsyuk and Zetterberg, too bad they don't get younger. I don't see them having much of a chance against a team that seems to be better on every level.

Prediction: Tampa Bay in 6.
yeah...i know a thing or two about zetterberg and datsyuk after back to back cup finals with them. datsyuk is one of the most skilled players i've ever seen. thank god he's 36. zetterberg is your archetypal redwings cheat-within-the ref's-interpretation-of-the-rules kind of asshole that you'd love on your team and despise because he isn't.

whenever i see the wings they feel like a team, always have. it will be interesting to see what happens to them without babcock. in any case, the lightning are just too good, especially at home. i give it to tampa in 5.

Quote:
New York - Pittsburgh
we're toast.

Quote:
I hate to say it
don't feel bad about it, i know this team stinks.

Quote:
but I feel like this is the most lopsided match-up. I saw half of the match against the Isles and to me they didn't look like a team that is about to pull off an upset against the presidents trophy winner.

Prediction: Rangers in 5.
okay, it's not the most lopsided, tampa - detroit is, for the simple reason that detroit doesn't really have a player who can steal them a game. zetterberg and datsyuk might win them a game, but they won't steal a game they should have lost. pittsburgh have three guys that can do that.

it is, however, the hardest one to call. pouliot, letang and ehrhoff are all listed as day to day. if they're all ready to go, it could be a fight. if all three are in the press box, we're a sitting duck.

we are not as bad as we've looked for the last month, if we can click back into whatever headspace we were in in the first half of the season, it's going to be a tight series. unfortunately, this team has demonstrated in the past that it has a serious, almost adolescent, attitude problem. i agree rangers in 5, but since you said that, rangers in 6.

Quote:
Washington - Islanders

Who gives a shit.

Prediction: Someone in 6.
home team has won every game this year, three of them went to overtime. capitals are coming in hotter though, and they have home ice. caps in 6.

all of this subject to change if i actually price this up properly and bet it. right now i'm enjoying the start of my vacation.

Quote:
Draft Lottery next saturday will be exciting, i just hope the Bruins or Avs don't win. Also rooting against some boring teams like Carolina and Arizona. For some reason I would like the Oilers to win.

Prediction: Flyers win the draft.
i really hope the sabres get him. it's been a tough 7 or 8 years for buffalo, and it's a market where a kid like mcdavid is going to be appreciated. fuck the coyotes. not that the coyotes haven't had their disappointments too, i just don't give a shit about them. actually i want bad things to happen to them for the cheap hit on letang. edmonton will ruin him, the flyers are cunts, new jersey play such boring hockey he'll probably hang himself, and the carolina hurricanes are a team that exists according to nhl.com but the last thing i actually remember about them is jordan staal's 175 foot empty net own goal. plus pj and acehole are both sabres guys, i don't think i know any fans of the other teams.

Kc
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:38pm   #30
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

Nojitsu was a hurricanes fan. That makes no difference whatsoever though.

I really only want one of two scenarios with the lottery:

1. Sabres win and select McDavid. People all ready have that jersey around here.

2. Toronto wins and selects McDavid Sabres select eichel. American kid comes to buffalo Canadian kid goes to Toronto. The rivalry gets better between the two and rages on for a very long time.

Coyotes and hurricanes shouldn't exist, and edmonton is a wasteland for talent.

I don't really care who wins the cup but I'm rooting for anyone playing the islanders.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote