THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 01, 2003, 5:21am   #1
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Other Hands

I've read your guide and it is great. I was wondering how often you play hands like A 8 o/s or A 2 suited?

You mention only playing hands like 7 8 if they are suited. what about J 8 if its suited?

Any hands like these worth messing with? Right now I'm playing a low limit NL game at a 10 player table.
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 01, 2003, 7:36pm   #2
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

Since you play in a long game, A2s and A8s (A8o should not be played) are mainly valuable for their suited potential or if you hit an odd flop like 22x or 88x or A8x. They are not worth much just for the ace b/c you will be outkicked. So I generally will just call the bb with these hands, but not call a raise, b/c I'd hope to have a lot of ppl in the pot in case I hit one of these weird flops or a solid flush draw.

78s is better than J8s b/c 78 will hit more straights than J8s. J8 really shouldn't be messed with, it's one of those hands you play when you're bored and maybe tilting...it has negative expected value so chunk it.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:59pm   #3
Anonymous
Doyle Look-alike

Anonymous is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes I play those hands like A 8 suited for the flush draw, but instead I catch the top pair on a A Q 5 flop. My question is what to do in that situation. At the 10 player table, there are anywhere from 3 to 5 players still in after the flop. I've bet and at least one person has called. They have no flush or straight draw, so they must have an Ace is what I'm thinking.

So, should I stay and maybe get beat by a higher kicker?
Anonymous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2003, 12:02am   #4
TwoGun
Administrator

A lot depends on the other guy. If he is a solid player, you do not want to put much of any money in the pot to see the showdown. Maybe he has second pair like QK and wants to draw, but you can't handle much betting action. If he is a loose player, he may even have a worse kicker or have second pair. But in either case, if you get called, you probably are beat but have a small chance so you want a cheap shodown.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 4:56am   #5
twohocks
River Rat

twohocks

Twogun If I understand your reply.....Are you saying that you DO call the big blind with A little card OS? I have talked to you before and am still having trouble with low limit games calling with marginal cards because it is only "1$" to see the flop. Also in low limit games if you have AK suited and raise you only win 1.50 because everyone folds.
twohocks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:01am   #6
TwoGun
Administrator

No, I do not call with Ax offsuit. Axs is somewhat valuable in a longhand/loose game because it can be the nut flush.

Generally, if you are raising with AKs (which isn't that amazing of a hand I might add b/c it is highly flop dependent) and people are folding preflop in your low limit games, i'd just attribute it to coincidence.

You must be patient and only play the marginal hands when the the game seems to suggest that you have an advantage with them. For example, in an unraised, 6 handed pot, 78s is a good hand to have. It's marginal as heck but it does well in those situations.