THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:25pm   #1
splats
Fish

splats
Default Did I play this right?

Last night I was playing a £10 tourney and had been playing tight and catching a few reasonable pots. There was 5 players left and I had a nice stack of chips and looking good to make the last 3 (hence in the money).

The blinds were very big (about 1/3 my stack for the big one) and I got dealt KK on the BB. Everyone folds with the exception of the SB who calls.

The flop comes AA7 (suit not relevant). I'm first to bet and given I'm heads up with two aces on the board I'm fairly confident that my AAKK is winning. I bet, he calls. The next card is nothing of note, a 9 I think. I bet again hoping he has a lower pocket pair or maybe had picked up AA77. He raises! I suspect he's trying to steal the pot and call putting me all in. He turns AA meaning he flopped four of a kind Aces Folding after his raised would have been pointless as I'd have been all in on the next small blind and hoping for miracle cards for about the next 2-3 hands to get me back in the game.

Where did I go wrong or was I just unlucky?
splats est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:06pm   #2
whalemangler
Doyle Look-alike

whalemangler

KK vs AA out of the blinds is an anomaly. Normally in that situation in an unraised pot you will see them scrapping over cards like 54s vs T2o. With the blinds that big expect to lose a ton of your stack.

Normally however, if you raise the blind and he calls, then AA flops, you can try one more bet but if he even calls that flop you are in trouble. With the blinds that big I would have just been all in pre flop. Still same result. AA vs KK is usually a disaster. Just hope you are on the other end of it next time.
whalemangler est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:50pm   #3
splats
Fish

splats

You seem to have hit the same conclusion that I have that I was screwed from the word go with such cards falling when the blinds were so big. He knew he only had to get me to bet once or twice between pre-flop and river to put me all in and he knew with AA he was ahead and then knew he'd won after the flop. Ah well!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:10pm   #4
acbluke
Fish

acbluke

No second guessing here: you held the second-best possible hand, and you needed to take advantage of holding it. The chances that your foe had AA after seeing that flop were probably around 1 in 400. It was probably only about 1 in 6 that he even had one ace! With odds like that, you would be nuts to not take your chance to solidify your position by trying to double up or drive out the other player.

I would have considered a moderate raise with your KK instead of checking (obviously, that wouldn't have worked here, but no way would I lay your hand down!) By the way, I think demerits go to SB for not raising with his AA. With the blinds as big as you say, it's worth trying to steal your BB, and he's not going to be too happy if you flop a king!

In my experience, players try to slowplay big pairs far too often. That's why so many people say, "I always lose when I get AA!" They let people stay in, and then get outdrawn! Actually, I think I am ahead by a sizable amount lifetime when I hold AA or KK.

Speaking of folding KK, I was playing in a satellite two weeks ago where the top 29 would qualify for the next stage. There were 33 players left, and I was sitting on a stack that put me in 18th place, and was good enough to survive the current blinds for 4 rounds. I was dealt KK, and I folded it! No way was I going to get ripped on by a hand with AA, or somebody with AK who got lucky. I did survive into the final 29!
acbluke est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 1:23pm   #5
splats
Fish

splats

cheers acbluke, you confirmed a lot of what I had. Did you let go of those kings pre-flop?? That's pretty disiplined given only 1 hand could have been beating you!!!