THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Dec 08, 2003, 4:42pm   #1
UD_Delt
River Rat

UD_Delt
Default So, I finally did decent in a $2 NLHE tourney on poker stars

and I realized one thing... It's not worth the time it takes.

I played last night in a $2 buy-in NL tourney. I placed 16th out of 1250 entrants. After 4 and a half hours of playing in this tournament I won $20 for my time. I would have had to outlast another 7 people in order to increase the amount I won. And I would have had to make it to the final 6 to make it anywhere near worthwhile for having spent 5 hours.

I feel like I played very well with only 2 boneheaded plays, one that knocked me out and one that probably took me out of a ride to the final table. I also feel like I got some pretty good cards during that time and got lucky on quite a few of the flops.

However, my feeling after having played in a tournament and finally placing that close to the final table was that it just wasn't worth the time.

Is it really possible to become so consistent in these that you're always giving yourself a shot at the top 5 and the "real" money? Or is it more likely you're just playing in them to kill 3-4 hours and wind up losing $2 or winning $4. Or is it just a matter of playing in enough of these small tourneys to feel comfortable playing in the $100+ buy-in tournaments.

Just looking for some feedback from the better players on whether or not it's really worth playing in these low buy-in 1000+ player tournaments?

The two main questions I have:

Is it possible to become good enough to consistently place in the big money?

Are the higher buy-in tournaments more worthwhile? If so at what level do they become more meaningful? Assuming I should practice more on these low level tourneys what results should I be looking for to know I would be ready to advance to the next level, top 30%, 25%, 10%, 1%?

Sorry, for the incredibly long post but I'm trying to figure if I have a better future in ring games, sit-n-go's, or tourneys so I can spend more time honing those specific skills rather than bouncing around from game to game.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2003, 6:54pm   #2
whalemangler
Doyle Look-alike

whalemangler

For the money to be large you need to make the final table PERIOD.

If you enter a $50 tourney and make 18th you might get $100 back.
whalemangler est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2003, 10:10pm   #3
mbe369
Flop Artist

mbe369

stick to ring games. tournament play brings an element of luck into the game that your skill cannot overcome.
mbe369 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2003, 2:49am   #4
whalemangler
Doyle Look-alike

whalemangler

Tournaments have the same luck that ring games have. Sometimes you have down sessions and sometimes you get knocked out of a tourney early, but the good players make money. I have a friend that took 5.50 and turned into $1400 in 1 month thru tournaments alone. He made 4 final tables in that time out of sometimes 1000+. That isn't luck.
whalemangler est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2003, 11:18pm   #5
mbe369
Flop Artist

mbe369

why is it everyone always has a friend? When the blinds increase as rapidly as they do in a tournament, you have to play more hands. Hence luck
mbe369 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote