THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 21, 2004, 2:37am   #1
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82
Default advice

I know I'm a fairly new player online and I don't have much room to think I have talent to give, but I thought I'd let you in on something that happened with me and maybe you'll learn something from it. Up to a week ago, I had been up to almost $900 from $150 in about a month and a half. I was playing quite aggresively and at times, almost cocky. I played two tables at once and started making calls I wouldn't normally make. I felt like I had mastered the game and could win for sure. Of course I was wrong. It caught up to me along with a nasty streak of bad luck (finding others with AA to my KK a bunch of times, having AA broken by 78o, stuff like that that happens, but sucks a whole lot). In three days I lost $150, in 4 I was down a total of $250. I as they might say, checked myself. I decided that I wasn't going to chance losing a large portion of my winnings, so I cashed out down to $150. Secondly, I took a look at my game and thought about what might be going wrong. I stopped playing two tables and started taking book on my opponents like crazy, noting almost every hand. This allowed me to look more closely at what other people were doing. I was able to read people better because of this, and in two days I'm almost back to where I was minus the cashout. The point here is obviously that you should not overvalue your play because overconfidence leads to bad calls and bad bluffs. I think the number one quality I can work on to better my play (and consistency) is humility. By only playing one table, and combing my opponents actions with a fined tuned brush, I was able to gain discipline as well as learn more about how to play my opponents. Just thought you all might be able to gain even a little something from that story.
skeptix82 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 21, 2004, 3:16pm   #2
manutdfan1
Grinder

manutdfan1 is on a distinguished road

Good story and so true. My first week playing I was way up. I thought I had this poker thing mastered in one week. Of course as I moved up limits, I eventually got spanked. Freaked out a little and wondered about my poker future. So I became more diligent in my study of poker theory (Sklansky). Read and reread (still rereading) Holdem for advanced players and eventually regained my composure. I play 5-10 limit and feel very comfortable there. There is no way I could play 2 games at once. Sklansky lays out proper guidelines for 5-10 tables and up. But in order for them to be effective your analytical skills to be in tune.
manutdfan1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 3:24pm   #3
Bling_Ping
Doyle Look-alike

Bling_Ping

<---- Did the same thing.

Nothing like turning 25 bucks into 320 in a night for a college kid. I realized however that I was seeing beginners luck and stopped playing for a bit to read up on the game
Bling_Ping est déconnecté   Reply With Quote