THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old May 20, 2004, 7:55am   #1
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72
Default My most bizarre night since I started playing poker.

(Warning: 'inane' alerts may activate. ;))

After watching the Kings lose, and the Sharks lose, I figured it was worth playing some poker. So I start the evening at PokerStars. I haven't played at all today before this point, so I register for a 5.50 SNG as is my custom. The slots fill and players are seated.

Before even the first hand is dealt, the guy on my left ('Slo Dude') chats up: "sFFAN72 YOUR A PUSSY".

Is this random bluffing to try and get me to tilt? I had never played the guy, never seen the name before. I had said nothing at all. I had barely even clicked the 'ok' button to take my seat.

He busted out before I did though in that particular tourney, so I'm thinking it was. Lousy tactic if it were.

So after I bust out in that one, I sign up for another. First hand, I'm dealt 88, I limp along with a couple others (including the sb). Flop comes with an 8 but a straight draw. The SB bets significantly (about 2/3 the pot I think), I call along with one other. Turn is an A, the SB goes all in and I (stupidly) call. I'd been out-flopped and not recognized it, since he had the straight. No board pair on the river, so I was out after 1 hand. 2 nights in a row I've been the first to bust out.

So now I suppose I'm tilting a bit, and decide to play at Party. I register for a $10 SNG there. I do reasonably well early, doubling up in a couple good hands. When we get to 6, this hand pops up:

100/200 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 3776735) - Thu May 20 01:31:48 EDT 2004
Table Table 11208 (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Rasputin123 (1460)
Seat 4: iraciv (745)
Seat 5: mohito721 (1395)
Seat 6: mark1922 (2305)
Seat 8: lasnier (620)
Seat 10: sffan72 (1475)
lasnier posts small blind (50)
sffan72 posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to sffan72 [ Ah, 3h ]
Rasputin123 calls (100)
iraciv folds.
mohito721 folds.
mark1922 folds.
lasnier raises (150) to 200

I think normally, I would muck here, because although I have the ace, I don't have ideal position and I sure don't have a kicker. The only value is for the flush draw... but I called:

sffan72 calls (100)
Rasputin123 calls (100)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Th, Jh, 6h ]

Holy crap. What was that I was saying about flush draws?

lasnier bets (420)
lasnier is all-In.
sffan72 calls (420)
Rasputin123 raises (1260) to 1260
Rasputin123 is all-In.

I actually had paused a few seconds before calling the first all-in. I'd forgotten there were people to act behind me, so I didn't think of raising; when this happened I sat up in my chair, since I had this guy covered!

sffan72 calls (840)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Js ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Qc ]
Creating Main Pot with $1860 with lasnier
Creating Side Pot 1 with $1680 with Rasputin123
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1860 | Side Pot 1: 1680 |
Board: [ Th Jh 6h Js Qc ]
Rasputin123 balance 0, lost 1460 [ 9h Kh ] [ a flush, king high -- Kh,Jh,Th,9h,6h ]
iraciv balance 745, didn't bet (folded)
mohito721 balance 1395, didn't bet (folded)
mark1922 balance 2305, didn't bet (folded)
lasnier balance 0, lost 620 [ 5d 5c ] [ two pairs, jacks and fives -- Qc,Jh,Js,5d,5c ]
sffan72 balance 3555, bet 1460, collected 3540, net +2080 [ Ah 3h ] [ a flush, ace high with ace kicker -- Ah,Jh,Th,6h,3h ]

I wound up finishing second. Oh, and I forgot to mention, this was the first Party $10 SNG I've played. Ever.

Bizarre things can happen in this game!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 21, 2004, 11:51am   #2
BadBeatBasti
BadBeatMod

BadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really niceBadBeatBasti is just really nice
Default Re: My most bizarre night since I started playing poker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan72
Before even the first hand is dealt, the guy on my left ('Slo Dude') chats up: "sFFAN72 YOUR A PUSSY".

Is this random bluffing to try and get me to tilt? I had never played the guy, never seen the name before. I had said nothing at all. I had barely even clicked the 'ok' button to take my seat.
I would ignore guys like that or say something nice so they get mad and go tilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffan72
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Th, Jh, 6h ]

lasnier bets (420)
lasnier is all-In.
That guy has only [ 5d 5c ] and goes all-in! What is that? It looks to me like a very risky and desperate move!

Congratulations for making 2nd place in that tournament!
BadBeatBasti est déconnecté   Reply With Quote