THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:55pm   #1
pharr7226
Fish

pharr7226
Default Final Table Bet - good play or bad play

I made the final table in free tournament at a local bar. We started with 160 players. I had a slight chip lead at the start of the final table. A loose player on my left bought a couple of pots with blinds of $10,000 and $20,000. While I was in the dealer position, everyone folded except the blinds. I had A 9 and called the big blind. The flop was 7 8 9 rainbow. The blinds checked and I went all in. The loose player to my left called me with A Q unsuited and we had approximately the same amount of chips, at that time. The turn was an A and the loose player caught a queen on the river to beat me. Did I play this hand correctly?
pharr7226 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 01, 2004, 8:15am   #2
Galakanukus
Brunson

Galakanukus

I like the play, but going all in probably wasnt necessary. Probably a pot sized bet to push out a straight draw, and might be enought to make the AQ think your not bluffing. All ins can look like bluffs alot.

You do want AQ to call you, he only has 3 outs, and 2 chances to make it. You definatly could have gotten the all in call from AQ after that turn.

What you do have to worry about is that your up against random hands, two pair, and flopped straights are possibilities. By betting with position all the way, you could then check on the river to avoid getting that all in check raise to a flopped straight.

I recently have had much more success in multitable tourneys, and I owe it mostly to the fact that I'm not going all in as much. Remember, it only takes one mistake or outdraw to knock you out when your all in. I find it much better to just build your chips slowly, when the opportunity comes to take out an opponent with less chips, you can be a little more risky. However, I only get involved in hands with people with more chips if I know I can leave the hand with chips left over.

I assume that you didnt want to get outdrawn, and that is why you went all in. A pot sized bet should take care of that, and will tell you alot more about what hands your opponent could be holding. In this case if you were wrong, and you were getting slowplayed, your done. If you get outdrawn, your done.

I dont fault you for making this play. A few months ago my multi skill and evaluation was, I play well until I get outdrawn. Well no kidding, I;m a tight player, I'm always going in with a better hand, but if I get AA 5 times in a tourney, I;m bound to lose with one of them, and thats the end. There is much more value in superior post flop play with out putting your tourney life at stake.
Galakanukus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2004, 4:57pm   #3
Galakanukus
Brunson

Galakanukus

One other thing I forgot to mention, a tourney rule:

DONT GO BROKE OVER AN EMPTY POT

There were only 3 BB in the pot at that point. If the blinds were so big that they were pushing everyones stacks, then it may have been the right play. Otherwise, your risking your tourney over 3 bets.
Galakanukus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2004, 5:26pm   #4
pharr7226
Fish

pharr7226

Thanks Galakanukus. I'll heed your advice.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 5:36pm   #5
pharr7226
Fish

pharr7226

By the way, the blinds were pushing stacks. Thats why everyone folded but me and the blinds.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 6:15pm   #6
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanukus
DONT GO BROKE OVER AN EMPTY POT
Don't go broke in an unraised pot. It's never empty.