THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:40am   #1
Jack Smash
Fish

Jack Smash
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Smash
Default Brilliant or idiotic? Opinions, please.

Hi all.

I played in a 20 man, $100 buy-in tourney (500 in chips) last weekend. I eventually won, but I credit a move I made back in the first round with my evnetual win. Problem is, I don't know if it was 100% luck, or a genuinely good move that turned out luckier.

I was chip leading my table, and called a weaker players all-in. Bad read on my part, as he had the full house. I was on tilt and not getting cards. Instead of limping into the 2nd round shortstacked, I decided to do something drastic. Blinds were 10-20, I was SB, with no pre-flop raisers. I raise 70, (pre-flop) with an offsuit 9 2. I figure if the flop comes down with no face cards, another big bet will scare off any drawers, maybe they put me on a decent pair or at least nice overs. Flop comes down 9, 2, J. I go on to take a nice pot. Obviously no one put me on 9 2...the guy with Js and a nice kicker bet into me and called my raise.

Was I being a fool, or does anyone else regulary bet garbage hands hoping for a rag flop that will disguise their strenght, or (if a pretty flop comes down) just use the opportunity it to represent a good hand?

Thanks for the input.
Jack Smash est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:40am   #2
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

I wouldn't call it brilliant or idiotic. I will admit that I do on occasional raise bit with complete trash. I only do it in late position and only with no limpers. I also only do it if the blinds/antes are worth picking up. I do this in hopes that I get no callers, and that if I do, having position will secure me the pot at least 2 out of 3 times. Sometimes this works to perfection and you boost your stack, sometimes it doesn't. I never do this in a live game.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:10pm   #3
zemidjan_99
Brunson

zemidjan_99
Default Don't know...

if brilliant or idiotic, like many things in life, it's better to be lucky than good.
zemidjan_99 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote