THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 17, 2004, 3:54am   #1
Smitty81
Flop Artist

Smitty81
Send a message via AIM to Smitty81 Send a message via MSN to Smitty81
Default My Luckiest Hand Ever!

I was playing a 2 table limit hold'em sit & go on on PS. It was late in the game, stakes were 800/1600 with only 3 players left and i was the short stack with about 3000 in chips.

I was dealt 8d 8s on the button. I raise to 1600
The small blind raises to 2400
I than reraise to 3090 and all in
The SB calls and shows Ks Qs

the flop [Qh Kd Kc]

At this point i thought i was done. I wasn't too worried because i finished in the $, plus it was a small buy in $5 or $10 can't remember. But than the craziest thing happened.

The turn [Qh Kd Kc] [8c]
The River [Qh Kd Kc 8c] [8h]

From there i went on to win it. But winning wasn't the best part. The best part was pulling out that 1 in 100 "miracle" to win that single hand.
Smitty81 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:40am   #2
Kazz
Grinder

Kazz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the odds are to hit the exact 2 cards in the deck that you have to get to win the hand, but they're *way* beyond 100 to 1. The other guy's jaw must have hit the floor when he saw that river...
Kazz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:59pm   #3
aseyer
Grinder

aseyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aseyer

1/10% to win after the flop.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:35am   #4
Chr1z
Fish

Chr1z

Yikes.... I take it this was online play??

That would be awesome live....... watching your two cards just drop out from the heavens like that.... I'm sure a beam of sunlight would tera through the cieling and right at your cards as you drool for a few minutes and possibly pass out..... thats pretty awesome.

One of the reasons I don't like the online play, is because in computers, there is no "100% Random" code. There is always a mathematical algorith behind the madness, and sometimes this can work in your favor, or the houses.... Any computer programmer will tell you, theres always a way to figure it out, and theres never a totally random result.... but still...... thats quite a nice win!
Chr1z est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:42am   #5
sffan72
Grinder

sffan72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chr1z
Any computer programmer will tell you, theres always a way to figure it out, and theres never a totally random result.... but still...... thats quite a nice win!
Well. as a (former) computer programmer (with computer science degree to back it up), I can tell you that in a very general sense, what you say is accurate, that computer-generated numbers are 'pseudo-random' (relying upon a seed). Know the seed and the iteration and you too can predict what number the generator will spit out next.

However, for the specific cases of the major poker rooms' random number generators, predicting specific results from their generators is, for all intents and purposes, impossible (particularly if any physical devices are employed to enhance the generation of random numbers).

Check this thread for a prior discussion we've had on this subject. The main discussion was about the potential for cheating at UltimateBet, but there is good information about the random number generation process there.

Bottom line, the major online poker sites couldn't afford the MASSIVE loss of revenue if their RNGs were shown to be even the slightest bit 'predictable'.