THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:55pm   #1
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of
Default Raped a playmoney SNG

Wow, are they soft or what?

Good ego booster for anyone who needs it.

Also, got my first flush + straight today on my play money acount. Not a straight flush, but nearly as good!

A fun 15 minutes anyways...

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:27pm   #2
ripwalk
Flop Artist

ripwalk
Send a message via MSN to ripwalk

I find it pretty offensive when people use the word "rape" in such a positive light.

I have no experience with rape, but I assume anyone who has would also be extremely offended by this usage.
ripwalk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:30pm   #3
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

man stop whining about trivialities...
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:41pm   #4
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Without wanting to open up the debate, nor indeed take sides, I'd simply like to point out that choice of words is not necessarily trivial.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:49pm   #5
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

well, you know that he didn't meant to be offense, so this whole thing here is trivial
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:50pm   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

i see nothing wrong with his use of the word.

rape means abusive improper treatment, it doesn't necessarilly refer to sexual assault, as in this case, given that he was raping a poker game and not your sister.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:19pm   #7
ripwalk
Flop Artist

ripwalk
Send a message via MSN to ripwalk

It doesn't really matter if it's meant in a a sexual way, it's simply the inference.

Same with using the word "gay" with a negative connotation, a lot of times people don't mean anything about sexual preference, but it is still ignorant to use that word in a negative light like that.

What if I said something like, "Man, I totally holocausted that tournament" ... Would this be proper to say? I don't think so, but I'm sure some disagree.
ripwalk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:42pm   #8
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

Lmao.

I am certaintly the empathy-stricken individual but PC is stupid, annoying, and limiting. So what if "raped" was a stupid word to describe his utter control and mastery of the play money gauntlet. Get some context going here. Read between the lines. Place your semantical powers of prose to better use. Choose your battles.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:09pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Firstly, holocaust is a noun not a verb.

Secondly, were holocaust a verb it would be incorrect to use it in this instance, since the word holocaust suggests loss of life specifically. The word is Greek in origin, from holokaustos meaning to burn whole. Its initial meaning in English was to sacrifice by fire, and appeared in the mid 13th century.

As well as its sexual and criminal definitions, the verb to rape means to seize and take away by force. Clearly therefore, it is a perfectly legitimate word to use in this instance.

I'll say that again. His use of the word is absolutely appropriate.

To the use of words like "gay", all I can suggest is that you get over this as quickly as possible. Perhaps you personally find that offensive, that's fine. I find closed minded stupidity offensive but am forced to tolerate it.

Should I choose to use the word gay to describe, for instance, a television show about faggots who make heterosexual men look like arsefucking poofs, that's my prero...actually this is a bad example.

Should I choose to use the word gay to describe, for instance, a small fluffy dog, that's my prerogative and in this context the word gay is clearly defined as "bad", "tasteless" and perhaps "unappealing". This is no way indicative of my opinion of gay people, even if they are responsible for the AIDS.

True there are those with an antiwhoever agenda, in their hands words like queer, nigger, jewscum fuckpot and the like take on a different meaning. Understanding the intent behind the word is of greater importance than diction itself however.

So, I ask you, how is a word offensive? Like a sword it only becomes a weapon when used it in that manner.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:15pm   #10
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

true