THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:25pm   #21
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Also ....

If you had a close friend, or loved one who you knew had a terribly traumatic rape experience.. Would you use this expression with this friend?
Yes, have done.

Quote:
Would you go up to them and tell them: "Man, I just got raped by my Chemistry exam". Or would you realize that even the word conjures up terrible images and memories for them, and they would likely be offended by your loose usage of the word?
No they wouldn't, because the people I consider friends aren't wankers.

When you've actually lived through a traumatic soul destroying event you really don't give a shit about four little letters.

Quote:
If you answered that you would use the word, then you are kind of heartless and inconsiderate to your friend.
And your father sodomised you on a regular basis throughout your childhood. Isn't it great to make stuff up.

Quote:
If you answered that you wouldn't use the word in this situation, then you obviously see how this could be damaging, and maybe can see how the word usage isn't appropriate, as anyone you said this too could have the same reaction to your friend, as it is likely you wouldn't know if one of your good friends had been raped anyway.
No, I know exactly how many of my good friends have been raped. You might say that's why we're good friends.

Kc
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:43pm   #22
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

Wow, this bitch loves to argue!

MRV
“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.” Bette Davis
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:47pm   #23
gnomatron
Fish

gnomatron

Hands up anyone who actually has been raped here, or who is close enough to someone who has been to legitimately claim offense? What about anyone who's gay, or black?

The world would be a much less annoying place if people stopped getting offended on other people's behalves. By all means fight prejudice, but wait and see if the people supposedly on the receiving end actually see it as such.
gnomatron est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:50pm   #24
Elizabeth
Grinder

Elizabeth

I have friends who have been raped and this never crossed my mind when I read his post. All I was thinking was, what the hell is TheFox31 doing in a PlayMoney Sit n Go?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:11pm   #25
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

Ditto, and ditto, though I dislike the use of "gay" to as a negative adjective. My gay friends overwhelmingly call foul on that one, so I do too.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:55pm   #26
ripwalk
Flop Artist

ripwalk
Send a message via MSN to ripwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by "killcrazy
It was a pretty shit example lets be fair, if I were you I'd be thankful that Killcrazy took the time to actually dismantle your argument, rather than just tell you how dumb you are.

Kc
Yes, I'm ever so thankful you've taken the time to voice your brilliant opinions . Really all you seemed to have done is claim that you know people who are of different backgrounds, and claimed this makes it okay for you to use words which put them in a negative light.

People do that a lot ... "Oh no, I'm not racist ... I have a black friend" .. That sort of thing. Just because you have some black friends, some gay friends, some rape victims, that don't find these things offensive, that hardly is indicative of the entire demographic. If you choose to only care about those who are your friends, then I suppose that's your perogative.

At any rate.. We obviously have different opinions, and it's not serving much purpose to continue talking about it here. I see your opinion, and although you disagree, I hope you can at least see my vantage point.

I hope you can at least agree that none of this language we have mentioned serves any real purpose in a poker forum, and doesn't add a whole lot to the community.

Soooo anyway, who wants to go back to talking about poker?
ripwalk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:55pm   #27
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVEGAS
Wow, this bitch loves to argue!
I play to my strengths.

kc
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:04pm   #28
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Really all you seemed to have done is claim that you know people who are of different backgrounds, and claimed this makes it okay for you to use words which put them in a negative light.
Operative word being seemed, operative word being seemed because you didn't read or didn't understand my points.

Quote:
People do that a lot ... "Oh no, I'm not racist ... I have a black friend" .. That sort of thing. Just because you have some black friends, some gay friends, some rape victims, that don't find these things offensive, that hardly is indicative of the entire demographic.
Ah, so instead we should go by your opinions from the inside of your head based on (I'm guessing, and my guesses are invariably good) a minimum of actual life experience. Your point was also a non sequitur, but we'll let that slide.

Quote:
At any rate.. We obviously have different opinions, and it's not serving much purpose to continue talking about it here.
Given that there is absolutely no way you can salvage this, that's probably wise.

Kc
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:23pm   #29
NorthView
Professional

NorthView

Some bollocks being spouted by both sides of this debate.

The point of language is to make yourself understood - otherwise, grunt away.

By definition, friends have a mutual rapport that strangers don't have. The language used by friends isn't any indication of how to communicate in other settings, therefore it's irrelevant to this discussion.

If you want to test the "any word goes" theory, try going to Coldharbour Lane in Brixton and dropping the phrase "scum sucking negro" into a conversation with a black guy who you've just met. Then come back and tell us about it.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:44pm   #30
Woosta2
Doyle Look-alike

Woosta2
Send a message via AIM to Woosta2 Send a message via Yahoo to Woosta2

or, even, say, Harlem - which is a place more than 2 posters have heard of.