THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 26, 2005, 5:11am   #1
RedStar
Fish

RedStar
Default Need advice on my tournament play

I've just started playing the free sit n go tournaments at Pokerstars. I have been doing quite well except I have a weakness. Being a tight player, my opponents seem to very successfully bluff all-in against me. I'm not talking about the loose wild players that go all-in all the time. I'm talking about solid players that would only do so once or twice in the tournaments. I seldom do call them except I find that when I do call, they are all bluffs, either completely bluffs or semi-bluffs. How can I improve on this aspect of my poker play?

Not surprisingly, I'm horrible at heads up play. Last night, I was the chip leader with 63000 going against a guy with 5000 chips. He got lucky with his all-ins and at some point he ended up having 36000 chips while I was at 32000. I did ended up beating him when I flopped trips and took him out in one hand. Still, it was more of a mistake on his part to fast play his top pair rather than me beating him with skill. PokerTips folks, do you have any suggestions on patching up my weak spots?
RedStar est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 26, 2005, 6:29pm   #2
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive
Send a message via Yahoo to weknowhowtolive

When you're playing solid, tight players, its really really hard to know if its a bluff. Those times you call and find its a bluff...good, you take them. But dont get into thinking every time they do it its a bluff. Playing a good player, you will be bluffed, and its a good idea to fold unless you're holding the nuts and know 100% they have no way of beating you no matter what. Bluffing is a part of poker, and it may just be safer to fold than call it with a small pair or whatever. the second thing...i have the same problem, so cant help youthere
weknowhowtolive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:21pm   #3
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
When you're playing solid, tight players, its really really hard to know if its a bluff. Those times you call and find its a bluff...good, you take them. But dont get into thinking every time they do it its a bluff. Playing a good player, you will be bluffed, and its a good idea to fold unless you're holding the nuts and know 100% they have no way of beating you no matter what. Bluffing is a part of poker, and it may just be safer to fold than call it with a small pair or whatever. the second thing...i have the same problem, so cant help youthere
Dude, no. Come on.

You do not need a 100% nut hands to call big bets from people.

So "weknowhowtolive", you're telling me that you fold boats in fear of quads and you fold nut flushes in fear of the two-card straight flush?
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:26pm   #4
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need advice on my tournament play

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStar
I've just started playing the free sit n go tournaments at Pokerstars. I have been doing quite well except I have a weakness. Being a tight player, my opponents seem to very successfully bluff all-in against me. I'm not talking about the loose wild players that go all-in all the time. I'm talking about solid players that would only do so once or twice in the tournaments. I seldom do call them except I find that when I do call, they are all bluffs, either completely bluffs or semi-bluffs. How can I improve on this aspect of my poker play?

Not surprisingly, I'm horrible at heads up play. Last night, I was the chip leader with 63000 going against a guy with 5000 chips. He got lucky with his all-ins and at some point he ended up having 36000 chips while I was at 32000. I did ended up beating him when I flopped trips and took him out in one hand. Still, it was more of a mistake on his part to fast play his top pair rather than me beating him with skill. PokerTips folks, do you have any suggestions on patching up my weak spots?
You should probably consider taking the lead more and betting out. It sucks to always let other players put the difficult decisions on you.

For example, say you have top two pair on flop and are first to act. Instead of checking to see what your opponent will do, try betting out. If you get raised something crazy, then you can decide if your oppoent has trips, a straight, or whatever.

There are times to check and slowplay your monsters and times to simply value bet your hand.

You will have to experiment with implementing more agression in your game, especially in tournaments and heads up play. Take it somewhat slow, dont go betting all in everytime you flop bottom pair with 6 other opponents in the hand.

So in general, bet more.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:08am   #5
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr
Quote:
Originally Posted by weknowhowtolive
Dude, no. Come on.

You do not need a 100% nut hands to call big bets from people.

So "weknowhowtolive", you're telling me that you fold boats in fear of quads and you fold nut flushes in fear of the two-card straight flush?
hahaha no no i didnt mean it like that. I mean like if you've got low trips, a straight and theres a flush draw down, 2 pair..stuff like that.
Old May 27, 2005, 1:24am   #6
RedStar
Fish

RedStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr

For example, say you have top two pair on flop and are first to act. Instead of checking to see what your opponent will do, try betting out. If you get raised something crazy, then you can decide if your oppoent has trips, a straight, or whatever.

So in general, bet more.
I have no problem betting when I have the nuts or near nuts. It is when things are very close. Let me give you an example. This is at the final table with two other guys left. I was chip leader with the second guy about 10,000 chips short of me. We got in a pre-flop tug of war where the pot was raised and re-raised. The flop came K K 2. I was holding 99. The guy was the first to act and went all in quickly. Now this guy had went all in before with the nuts and has shown tier 1 hands whenever he did. Even before he had went all in, the pot is huge and worth about half my chip stack. What do you do?
Old May 27, 2005, 1:26am   #7
RedStar
Fish

RedStar

edited my first post instead.
Old May 27, 2005, 1:38am   #8
weknowhowtolive
Doyle Look-alike

weknowhowtolive

you have 99 and KK is showing. Fold. (personally)
Old May 27, 2005, 2:23am   #9
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStar
I was holding two 9.
99 or 92?
Old May 27, 2005, 3:52am   #10
RedStar
Fish

RedStar

Pocket Nines.