THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 09, 2005, 6:34pm   #1
Aces Up
River Rat

Aces Up
Default Bad beat, Good beat

I'm writing this only to do something at my computer other than play poker, like when your mom would tell you to turn off the TV and get some fresh air.
Here's my sad but true story. After playing a couple hours, I'd lost half my $5 buyin at the .05/.10 limit table at Ultimate Bet. Not even through bad play or bad beats but sheer bad luck. Waited patiently for good hands and always had them cracked. If I have pocket queens or jacks, AK comes. When I have AK, neither card comes. Flopped top pair top kicker and got drawn out on by ace rag. Win some, lose some, but try to stay winsome. I'm a stoical Pollyanna. I stay in and wait my turn.
So I sneak in with JT, a bad luck hand for me and one I usually drop, but I was in late position after many limpers. Flop trip jacks, I'm waiting for someone to bet so I can pull the trigger. I could be already beat, but I'm reading 'em all the riot act: No cheap draws. Then my Internet connection drops (which shouldn't happen since I have superfast wireless), putting me all in before anyone's even bet. Made the nut full house but won less than half the pot because 2 other guys split the side pot with 2nd nut. Unbelieveable! I was ready to pump the pot and win big and I ended up with chump change. If I had less strength of character, I would have screamed or cried or both.
My truly dismal stats show I've won something like 6 hands out of 150. Won 50% at river (not bad since it's often not heads up at the end), saw 30% of flops (which is only blinds plus one hand per round if people aren't raising). So I don't think I'm kidding myself by attributing it to bad luck. I probably could have won more by calling with any 2 cards and crossing my fingers.
I figure I'll play one more round and then quit before I'm in the blinds again.
Call with pocket nines, flop quads. So I retire down just $1.50 for the session, too exhausted to take advantage of my big win or see if a rush would come.
I snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, but defeat chomped off a few limbs first.
Thanks for listening.
Aces Up est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 09, 2005, 7:15pm   #2
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bad beat, Good beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Up
Made the nut full house but won less than half the pot because 2 other guys split the side pot with 2nd nut.
That doesn't make sense.
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2005, 7:43pm   #3
Aces Up
River Rat

Aces Up
Default thanks

Thanks for replying, Xenthebrain.
I don't know if you're saying it doesn't make sense that they do that, or my description didn't make sense.
I was disconnected, so UB put me all in, so I could only win the pot amount at the time I went all in. Subsequent bets went into a side pot, which was split by 2 players who each made the same full house. I had a bigger full house, jacks full. Sorry I was too befuddled to take note of the hand history at the time. I will email UB customer service to get it.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 8:27pm   #4
xenthebrain
I am so smart. S-M-R-T

xenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of lightxenthebrain is a glorious beacon of light

I just wanted to point out, that you only won less than half the pot because you disconnected and counted as all-in, not because they had a splitpot or whatever.

Btw, where in Cambotcha do you live that you get that upset about losing like 1.50$?
xenthebrain est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2005, 9:43pm   #5
Aces Up
River Rat

Aces Up
Default mere entertainment

Only shared it as an amusing story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenthebrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Up
Made the nut full house but won less than half the pot because 2 other guys split the side pot with 2nd nut.
That doesn't make sense.
OK. I should have said I won less than half the pot because I was disconnected and thus the other 2 guys split the side pot.
Actually, I was mistaken about my cards. Sorry. It was QJ, not JT.
Not to bore people with the entire hand history, I'll summarize.
Board: Jh 6h Js Th Tc
Player 1 Hole Cards: 7d Ts (Tens full of Jacks)
Player 2 Hole Cards: Td Qc (Tens full of Jacks)
My Hole Cards: Qs Jc (Jacks full of Tens)
Players 1 and 2 split the side pot.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 10:17pm   #6
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Floop!
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:20am   #7
Jenkx
Flop Artist

Jenkx

Or...

You: QJ
Player 1: A10
Player 2: K10

Board: J-J-10-10-x

Edit: Which Aces Up already posted, sorry...
Jenkx est déconnecté   Reply With Quote