THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 06, 2005, 10:55am   #1
43%_Burnt
Fish

43%_Burnt
Default Ugh-tastic

First post...been lurking for a while. The stuff I've read on here had been incredibly helpful. Quality resource.

Sorry my first post has to be whining, but I'm not sure how to handle it.

Long story short: played a live home game last night, I'm up about $300, big pot, 3 handed to the flop, flop trip aces w/ best kicker, flush draw on board, check, check, I'm all in, guy calls w/ queens, other guy calls w/ shit because he's loaded (with money, not cocaine) and on tilt, runner-runner 9 high flush. Yuck.

I usually play live and I've just moved up in limits to the bigger home games around my home town and this is the way it's been going lately. I outgrew playing my friend's games (they're my friends, but you put cards in their hands and they turn into mongoloids) as I take the game more seriously than they do and have made real strides towards trying to become a good player.

My first taste of the bigger games has been tainted w/ bad luck and it's really shaken my confidence. I've gone over my last few sessions again and again in my head and, though I've obviously found flaws in the way I've played, without the beats I'm pretty sure they would have been at the very least marginally winning. What do I do here? Give myself a pep-talk? Go down and play the smaller games again? Win a pot and bolt for the car? I really feel like I can stick these guys and any advice you could offer would be great.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 06, 2005, 12:01pm   #2
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

I don't think I can contribute much in the way of advice when it comes to this sort of home game, but out of interest, when you talk of being $300 up, what is that in proportion to the amount of cash you would take with you to the game, and the average size of pots?

'Win a pot and bolt to the car' is not want you want to do when you are playing and winning against demonstrably weaker players, but then on the other hand there are times when you may want to say 'target hit, returning to base'.
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2005, 4:29pm   #3
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Read. Read read read. The more you read, the more you're realize you're not as good as you think you are, and thus you will improve.

If you're playing cash games, check out the No Limit section of Super System 2. Thats good stuff to read if you're playing live no limit cash games.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2005, 12:12pm   #4
43%_Burnt
Fish

43%_Burnt

I finally posted a respectable win total. I didn't even have to donkey it up.

Go team.

I usually sit down with 70-$80. I'm happy to win $300 in a night. Not exacly high stakes, but certainly better than a kick in the junk.