THE FORUMS


German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 01, 2005, 5:00pm   #11
NorthView
Professional
 
NorthView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,816
Reputation: 0
NorthView
Default

Eh?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 01, 2005, 5:03pm   #12
Jason1
Grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 619
Reputation: 32
Jason1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
I enjoy bad beat stories because I feel comforted after I get snapped in a similar situation. I was in a tournament today when I was pushed all in by QQ, and I held AK. The flop gave me a K, but the river gave my opponent a Q.
Well done, this is the most inappropriate use of the phrase "bad beat" I've ever seen.
Why?
1. to quote phil hellmuth "you were the underdog when the money went into the pot, correct?"

2. even if you put the money in the pot AFTER you got your K, getting a pair of K's cracked is nothing even close to being a bad beat.


These are two recent bad beats of mine (ill keep'm short cuz no one cares)

- PL cash game - 3 person raising match. I flop top set, no straights of flushes possible. Guy with bottom set goes all in, i of course call (dream scenario). I grab the highest full house, but also gave him QUADS !!

- Limit cash game - My opponent is a HORRIBLE player, plays any two cards and for no aparant reason whatsoever in any way shape or form picks a random hand every once in a while and just caps every round just for the hell of it. Well all he had was bottom pair this time with a gapped unsuited second card AGAINST MY STRAIGHT which was the nuts yet again (dream scenario). Turn gave him trips 6's then the river paird another card. I capped two rounds of betting and I had to throw it all away because I knew he had the boat.

Felt like smashing something... but it happens. I had beats like th is all day yesterday no matter what i did. Nothing was right. I lost 60% of my roll in one day. And this was after taking breaks and recalming down after each beat so I wasnt on tilt all day.



so I went and played 5 card draw. I very much enjoy 5 card draw and 5 card stud. Totally reset me... and i actually got lucky cards too. Won back some of my money... so Im only 40% undrolled now
Jason1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 5:04pm   #13
AJDMB05
Brunson
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 115
Reputation: 0
AJDMB05
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
I enjoy bad beat stories because I feel comforted after I get snapped in a similar situation. I was in a tournament today when I was pushed all in by QQ, and I held AK. The flop gave me a K, but the river gave my opponent a Q.
Well done, this is the most inappropriate use of the phrase "bad beat" I've ever seen.
Why?
Because you started behind.

And yeah, if I had a dime for every time I was told "this happens to everyone" I could cover all my losses from October. That fact alone is of no comfort, I don't care what's happening to everyone. All that tells me is that I should expect it, whatever. I thought this was the venting forum, I'm expressing how much I hate everyone who I've played against who's drawn out on me for some obscenely big pot. Yeah, I could've moved all in and would've probably been called regardless. Most of the time that results in big hands winning small pots by everyone folding, or losing big pots by getting called.

I know, by the logic I'm supposed to be "happy" that they're getting their money in in such a way that they need to draw out on me (almost always the case). Point me to where the happy is. That more often than not I'll fade their flush and straight draws? Ok, now let me just wait until that happens.

Edit: I like how no one can really make a post in here that has any sort of pissed-off-about-a-beat-hand vibe without everyone assuming they're new to the game. Granted I haven't played at all of your $5000 NL games for 20 years, but I've played long enough and studied long enough to realize this happens, and it always happens at a higher level, meaning more money involved.
__________________
"Well, if there wasn't luck involved, I guess I'd win every one..."
- Phil Hellmuth, '04 WSOP.
AJDMB05 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 5:53pm   #14
NorthView
Professional
 
NorthView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,816
Reputation: 0
NorthView
Default

Eh?
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 5:55pm   #15
SevenToo
Grinder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 887
Reputation: 0
SevenToo
Default

Newby Advice (i m fishy with a few shark moves):

Stay out of Action for a time, and the Next time you get in Raising Matches or in wild Action on the Flop:
- if you dont know whats going on, where your hand Stands or if you dont like to gamble your whole buy-in on a "seemingly" save hand : F O L D.

the other day i flopped two pair, low, someone bets a standard and i just want him to fold his crappy 8, high kicker and go all in .
Boy he flopped top two pair and instant called.
862, 86 from UTG with no raise.

the next two pair i made sure i had TOP Two pair, the SB plays 4BB i just want him to go away and Hammer the Pot with a High Bet (20 BB or so) he Puts me all in, and i really for the fraction of a second thought.. he flopped that Straight maybe...

he did.

IT CAN HAPPEN and it s the Nature of the Game, that sometimes you just have the fricken 2nd highest Hand or get outlucked on.

Get over it, play on.
Or take a break and refresh your BR at lower Levels.

Last but not Least:

Dont gamble Money you really need for soemthing else, ie. Pay your Rent first, then if you have some $ over- go poker with that.

Good Luck for the Future !!
SevenToo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 7:05pm   #16
Jason1
Grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 619
Reputation: 32
Jason1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDMB05
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthView
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree
I enjoy bad beat stories because I feel comforted after I get snapped in a similar situation. I was in a tournament today when I was pushed all in by QQ, and I held AK. The flop gave me a K, but the river gave my opponent a Q.
Well done, this is the most inappropriate use of the phrase "bad beat" I've ever seen.
Why?
Because you started behind.

And yeah, if I had a dime for every time I was told "this happens to everyone" I could cover all my losses from October. That fact alone is of no comfort, I don't care what's happening to everyone. All that tells me is that I should expect it, whatever. I thought this was the venting forum, I'm expressing how much I hate everyone who I've played against who's drawn out on me for some obscenely big pot. Yeah, I could've moved all in and would've probably been called regardless. Most of the time that results in big hands winning small pots by everyone folding, or losing big pots by getting called.

I know, by the logic I'm supposed to be "happy" that they're getting their money in in such a way that they need to draw out on me (almost always the case). Point me to where the happy is. That more often than not I'll fade their flush and straight draws? Ok, now let me just wait until that happens.

Edit: I like how no one can really make a post in here that has any sort of pissed-off-about-a-beat-hand vibe without everyone assuming they're new to the game. Granted I haven't played at all of your $5000 NL games for 20 years, but I've played long enough and studied long enough to realize this happens, and it always happens at a higher level, meaning more money involved.

um, im kinda lost here man. who said what in this thread that pissed you off ??
Jason1 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2005, 8:06pm   #17
NorthView
Professional
 
NorthView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,816
Reputation: 0
NorthView
Default

Enough!!!

Please someone lock this thread.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2005, 2:08am   #18
AJDMB05
Brunson
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 115
Reputation: 0
AJDMB05
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1
um, im kinda lost here man. who said what in this thread that pissed you off ??
uh, I don't know what you're talking about. you misunderstood. but whatever, lock the thread because someone didn't understand my point. My point is everyone always assumes if someone posts something similar to what I posted originally, that they're new to the game. That's not true. Wow.

I don't know what this part of the forum is for anymore. I'm going back to lurking because between the five or six guys that always come down on everyone there's no point in posting. you're either wrong, giving bad/incorrect advice, complaining, incoherent or redundant. Peace.
__________________
"Well, if there wasn't luck involved, I guess I'd win every one..."
- Phil Hellmuth, '04 WSOP.
AJDMB05 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2005, 5:23am   #19
Subversive
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 284
Reputation: 0
Subversive
Default

I saw no really mean posts in this thread, only people giving you good advice, and yet you get pissed. If all you want to do is vent, and you don't want anyone to respond, I wouldn't post in a public forum anymore. Maybe you could send youself e-mails or something. Then you could reply to them with stuff like "Yeah! The world is out to get me too!" etc. Clearly you aren't looking for constructive ways to break out of your slump, so something like this might work better for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
"Paradise tournaments are rigged. The big stacks always win".
Subversive est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2005, 7:22am   #20
NorthView
Professional
 
NorthView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,816
Reputation: 0
NorthView
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDMB05
uh, I don't know what you're talking about. you misunderstood. but whatever, lock the thread because someone didn't understand my point. My point is everyone always assumes if someone posts something similar to what I posted originally, that they're new to the game. That's not true. Wow.

I don't know what this part of the forum is for anymore. I'm going back to lurking because between the five or six guys that always come down on everyone there's no point in posting. you're either wrong, giving bad/incorrect advice, complaining, incoherent or redundant. Peace.
Worst case of tilt I've seen in a long time.
NorthView est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51am. vBulletin 3.7.4 Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.