THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:46am   #11
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjgallo
Hehe sorry my post was a tad sarcastic, was just a bit tired when I posted it, sorry.
It's cool, matt. I'm sorry, too. I was pretty irritable when I read the board first thing this morning and I'm sure I read too much into your reply. Anyway...

I might be reading too much into your posts, but it sounds like you felt you had a skill advantage over this player. Players playing too passively HU are almost invariably making a large mistake. When we've got him outchipped 2 to 1 and have a ~26BB stack I am not looking to race with TT. I'd assume his calling range here is something like AA-TT, AK-AJ or so.

A normalish raise before the flop and a standard continuation bet is in order here. So we pop it up to 900 PF and then lead for something like $1200 on the flop. I guess we're acting last, though, even though we're BB? But that's basically the line I would take. It's hard to say if/where we can get away from it because we don't know what he would have done on the flop.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 02, 2006, 1:08am   #12
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo
Send a message via ICQ to mattjgallo Send a message via AIM to mattjgallo Send a message via MSN to mattjgallo

Yep, I'm fairly sure I did the mistake here. I was on positive tilt I guess. I'd got to that position in heads up by cracking KTs with Q9s and cracking KK and QQ with my A9s. I wasn't *lucky*, I just put my money in a couple of times when I had to and the cards liked me.

I would say I had a skill advantage over the HU player yes, I was reading him correctly all night and I think I just wanted to put him into a difficult position to make him know I wasn't a push-over and I didn't think about the relative weakness of my hand.

I'll certainly not make that mistake again. Was very annoying I missed out on an extra £10 because of such a silly mistake eh. I am hosting another game soon so I'll try and put to practice some of the stuff mentioned here.

There's one guy I play with who knows a fair amount about poker but I know he often ranks his hand higher than it is and gets into the habit of always raising preflop of say 4BB. He'll do this with pretty much muck hands such as K5 or similar. He's very aggresive on the table and pushes people around when he has too many chips. Would you have any tips for how to act against this sort of guy? (I also always seem to get seated to his right! I'd prefer to be opposite to be honest!)
mattjgallo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2006, 1:59am   #13
thespoil
Doyle Look-alike

thespoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjgallo
He's very aggresive on the table and pushes people around when he has too many chips. Would you have any tips for how to act against this sort of guy? (I also always seem to get seated to his right! I'd prefer to be opposite to be honest!)
The best strategy I've found against this type of player is to SLAP (Semi-Loose Aggressive/Passive) them around. Loosen your pre-flop standards a little and be aggressive with them, but then a bit more passive than is usual after the flop. This doesn't mean to check-call down with K high, but I'm willing to call down against this type of player with a more marginal holding.

Check-calling the flop and then leading the turn can sometimes slow down a player who is splashing around a lot. Basically your goal is to keep the pots small and slow them down and then trap them when you've got a strong hand. If they're willing to raise the flop or turn with air then be more inclined to lead into them when you've got a monster instead of going for the check-raise.

Being out of position makes everything more difficult. Maybe the best strategy involves sneaking into his house and setting his clocks back a bit so he'll arrive late and the only open seat will be to your right.