THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 05, 2006, 6:40pm   #1
starrberry
Fish

starrberry
Default How would you have played this hand?

Quote:
PokerStars Game #4184268010: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2006/03/05 - 13:18:39 (ET)
Table 'Vala III' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Nick019 ($0.68 in chips)
Seat 2: starrberry ($4.49 in chips)
Seat 3: qqqq1234 ($6.22 in chips)
Seat 4: fnaticVankor ($4.99 in chips)
Seat 5: natedub ($2.03 in chips)
Seat 6: TotteN123 ($5.26 in chips)
Seat 7: Kimberly18 ($4.83 in chips)
Seat 8: Imogene2006 ($2 in chips)
Seat 9: Krynn ($5.22 in chips)
qqqq1234: posts small blind $0.01
fnaticVankor: posts big blind $0.02
Imogene2006: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to starrberry [As Ah]
natedub: folds
TotteN123: folds
Kimberly18: folds
Imogene2006: checks
Krynn: folds
Nick019: calls $0.02
starrberry: raises $0.02 to $0.04
qqqq1234: folds
fnaticVankor: raises $0.02 to $0.06
Imogene2006: folds
Nick019: calls $0.04
starrberry: raises $0.06 to $0.12
fnaticVankor: raises $0.08 to $0.20
Nick019: folds
starrberry: calls $0.08
*** FLOP *** [7s 9d 3h]
fnaticVankor: bets $0.10
starrberry: raises $0.40 to $0.50
fnaticVankor: raises $0.40 to $0.90
starrberry: calls $0.40
*** TURN *** [7s 9d 3h] [4s]
fnaticVankor: bets $0.80
starrberry: calls $0.80
*** RIVER *** [7s 9d 3h 4s] [Kd]
fnaticVankor: bets $0.36
starrberry: calls $0.36
*** SHOW DOWN ***
fnaticVankor: shows [8h 8c] (a pair of Eights)
starrberry: shows [As Ah] (a pair of Aces)
starrberry collected $4.41 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $4.61 | Rake $0.20
Board [7s 9d 3h 4s Kd]
Seat 1: Nick019 folded before Flop
Seat 2: starrberry (button) showed [As Ah] and won ($4.41) with a pair of Aces
Seat 3: qqqq1234 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: fnaticVankor (big blind) showed [8h 8c] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 5: natedub folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: TotteN123 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Kimberly18 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Imogene2006 folded before Flop
Seat 9: Krynn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
[/list]

I know I should have reraised him more preflop because he seemed willing to call anything, but after the flop I was a bit worried he caught a set
starrberry est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 05, 2006, 6:45pm   #2
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

I'd have put him on a pair of KK/QQ since he was betting so much preflop, as well as when the flop came all low cards.

Usually when I have aces and someone re-re-raises me preflop, I just put them all-in right there. May as well get your money in when you know you've got the best hand.

Good pot, though! Hands like these are the ones where you gotta appreciate the dumb donkeys!
Old Mar 05, 2006, 7:26pm   #3
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Raise more preflop, those minraises accomplish nothing, especially not in low stakes games. You are inviting everyone and their dog to bust you with their rags, as I assume you can't let go of AA, as most people, me included.

Also try to put him on a range of hands. Do you have any reads on him? Again, this is especially hard in low stakes games, as you saw, he reraised you with 88, which is, let's say, ballsy. If he were a tight player, or you played higher stakes, you could narrow his range considerably. Most of the times you can say that a reraise indicates a pair of JJ+, AK and for a very aggressive player include TT and AQ. Given this range, he cannot have improved on this flop, but still bets into you and raises your raise. That would indicate a pair to me, and you have the best pair possible. So, push on the flop and hope for a call. You definitely want to play for your stack here. From my experience players at those stakes are very willing to call such crude overbets anyway, I guess their thoughts go something like "Why would he overbet like that? He gotta be bluffing, my 88 is good, weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!1111".

My 2 cents.
Old Mar 06, 2006, 8:10am   #4
swee30
Fish

swee30

your sitting w/ $5 ....put him all in pre or post flop depending on if you think he'll call preflop

as was said push preflop is best - you know you have the best hand.
swee30 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:46am   #5
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Not quite sure I agree with the preflop push theory; x225 the BB is one enormous bet and there are ways of both extracting more value than this and (almost as crucially) avoiding losing a full stack also if the flop comes out all wrong.

Analysis is similar to above. First is that with all the preflop raising, you've got to put him on JJ and up. Ok, that would be wrong - make a note of the player and remember it for the future - but you've got to try and think logically. With that flop then, you should still be ahead and with only 2 cards to come, this is where you can extract information and value.

His flop bet is incredibly weak, and I have no idea why he re-raised your decent and sensible flop raise. When he did though, I think your call is a slight mistake. At that point, you've either got to put him on 99, and his set (in which case, fold) or on a higher pair. We've agreed that his preflop raising isn't right for 99 (or 88 of course!), so he still has the higher pair. So don't call it - at this point, rather than preflop, I ask him for all his stack. If he's got KK-TT, then he's got 2 outs. If he wants to call it, let him.

I must admit that the K river is right scary; KK is a quite likely holding through all this. You were given a nice easy decision by him there, but can I ask an honest question - would you have called had he put you all in on the river?
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote