THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:05am   #11
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

I do understand your point, but I never really put a lot of thought into the bankroll to play a specific game. I just went to the smallest game to see how I did.

The amount I had to play with did affect my game ALOT. I folded middle pair with A kicker to a $2 dollar bet just because I didnt want to risk my money without atleast having top pair at first. It turns out the two people in the hand had nothing and I would have won a good sized pot (about $10). If I do decide to put more money in, I will make sure I take into account what my bankroll should be.

P.S. Don't you just hate those players that always talk like they are the best player, but they suck. Then when you play them, they get lucky on a hand like the one I gave, and they never shutup about it!
dmdifiore est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:15am   #12
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

And to theonlythree, yes, I love knowing that there are INCREDIBLY moronic players playing for real money, but they seem to be the ones I'm worried most about.

I was at one table where everyone played tight, and I was able to win money. I could easily read there hands, and figure out what hands they had according to their bets, but a few people left and the table went seperate ways.

At the next table, it was almost the same, except for one player who seemed like he had no clue what he was doing, and he took about $100 in less than a half hour. He left a little while afterwards with almost 10x what he came in with.

Why is poker a game that rewards the idiots and the people who take it seriously get screwed badly?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:13am   #13
b_money84
Doyle Look-alike

b_money84

For real, get a larger bank roll and play lower stakes to start.

No matter how good you got at fake money it can't compare to the type of play on real money. How can it, one side has nothing to lose, the other side has everything to lose, figuratively speaking.

Sure there are some players who are very skilled that probably play fake money regularly, and definitely very poor people playing real money tables, but you can't judge your own skill level until you get your feet wet, and $50 at 0.10-0.25 isn't going to cut it.

When I first got into playing poker; I basically skipped the whole fake money practice stage and jumped right into real money 0.01-0.02 or w/e the lowest was that I could find. I started with $80 at those stakes, and did pretty fricken bad. You never knew what anyone had, and I had very little knowledge or practice at the game itself, but I kept at it, not worrying about getting rich quick, but on improving my game no matter how long it took or how much frustration it caused.

Now I typically play 0.50-1.00 or 1.00-2.00 and do quite well, winning consistantly and adding to my bankroll & profits. Eventually I'll move up another step and just keep building.

That's what you have to do, poker isn't about making fast cash, there are very few, if any, prodigal players who just jumped into the game with $5 and became rich, no matter how much you think you might be someone that can do that, I can say with 99.9% certainty that you aren't. Neither am I, nor probably anyone on this forum.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

You played that hand 100% btw, you got all your money in on the flop, and made a really nice preflop raise... I'm surprised you even got 2 callers, but I guess at those limits anything can happen.

Just keep at it.
b_money84 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 1:04pm   #14
Kaishaku
Beautiful Blue Wild Beast

Kaishaku has a spectacular aura aboutKaishaku has a spectacular aura about

There is something I may misunderstood

I had put 50$ in party too, but, as I'm realy a novice to online poker, I've take my money to the beginner's tables, 0.02/0.04 NL.
There's so many bad players in there.
I'm up to 120$ in 4 days. ( I loss some money on bad beat or bad play too, but that was not much than 16$. And the 25$ bonus is quickly cleared...)

So why did you pass over this tables ?
There's plenty of things to learn in there.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."
Richard P. Feynman
Kaishaku est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:16pm   #15
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdifiore
I do understand your point, but I never really put a lot of thought into the bankroll to play a specific game. I just went to the smallest game to see how I did.

The amount I had to play with did affect my game ALOT. I folded middle pair with A kicker to a $2 dollar bet just because I didnt want to risk my money without atleast having top pair at first. It turns out the two people in the hand had nothing and I would have won a good sized pot (about $10). If I do decide to put more money in, I will make sure I take into account what my bankroll should be.

P.S. Don't you just hate those players that always talk like they are the best player, but they suck. Then when you play them, they get lucky on a hand like the one I gave, and they never shutup about it!
Don't get me wrong, I agree with everyone else posting on here about the importance of having a bankroll. But the play of the hand was correct, and nothing changes that. Other than just as a general instruction to you about the importance of having $$$ to play with, bankroll shouldn't really have been given as an answer to your question.

I just get tired of seeing bankroll as the answer to every question in poker.
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:20am   #16
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

Actually, about a half hour after my last post, I realized there were beginner tables. I just went to cash games, no-limit holdem, and picked the lowest stakes.

Yes, I was EXTREMELY pissed off, but now I feel I may just put the money back into it to play these tables.

I honestly feel I am a good player, not great, not bad, but good enough to consistently win a little here and there. Yes I'll have ups and down, but I'm talking long run. Everyone I play against, I can ususally figure out their style and their hands quickly. Even playing fake money, to quote my uncle, "Dominic, you are probably the only person at this table looking for tells online".

And he is right. No matter face to face/online, real money/fake money, I am always paying attention to patterns and the way people bet and other small things. Becuase I want to play real money games, I buckled down and played like it was real money at the fake tables.

Yes, yes, I know they are nowhere near equal, but they do help. You can see how often hands win, what the odds are of something coming out, what the best hands to call with. Real or not, 2 3 offsuit doesn't win often

Also, my dad says that at a face to face table, he would make that call anyday, but online he would fold it because he doesn't trust the computer with his money. He feels that there are people that may be playing against you with programs to show your cards or the next card/river.
I know this MAY be true, but it isn't what happened to me (I hope!).
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:50am   #17
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

theonlythree...did you mean she took $50 real money or play money and is up to that. If thats play money, I have turned my starting thousand into almost 100k already. I used to play International Poker Tour, and I turned 2500 into 7 million in about 1-2 months. Took 2500 and made it 1.3 mill in a week and a half.

Now if it was real money...then congrats on finding a girl that not only likes poker, but is good too.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:23am   #18
AMDeluxe
Doyle Look-alike

AMDeluxe

If I were you I'd relax about the idea of people hacking the software and knowing what cards are coming. They wouldn't be playing $25NL
AMDeluxe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:41pm   #19
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

Yea, I didn't even think of that. If you could see everyones cards or something, I definately wouldn't be playing the .25 tables.

Good point, I have to remember to bring that up to my dad.