THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:04am   #1
AverageJoe
Doyle Look-alike

AverageJoe can only hope to improve
Default How do you play a Royal Flush??

Now being my first ever Royal, I didnt really no how to play it.

Dealt to JesusLovesYou [ Ts Qs ]
kottenr1 calls [$0.50].
michglory calls [$0.50].
JesusLovesYou calls [$0.50].
yunnum123 calls [$0.25].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, As, 7d ]

yunnum123 checks.
jeremy22555 checks.
kottenr1 bets [$3.13].
michglory calls [$3.13].
JesusLovesYou calls [$3.13].
yunnum123 folds.
jeremy22555 folds.

** Dealing Turn ** [ Js ]

kottenr1 checks.
michglory checks.
JesusLovesYou checks.

** Dealing River ** [ 8c ]
kottenr1 checks.
michglory bets [$0.75].
JesusLovesYou raises [$5].
kottenr1 folds.
michglory folds.

JesusLovesYou shows [ Ts, Qs ] Royal Flush.
JesusLovesYou wins $16.99 from the main pot with Royal Flush.

Looking back I would Raised the Flop, Mini Bet the turn, Value/Bluff for the river???

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:51am   #2
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

I would have bet about $2-$3 on the turn when it was checked to you. You look like you're in bluffing position and can get called down and make some extra money. I doubt the river is gonna make anyone more confident about their hand unless the hit a full house which means they'll call your turn bet anyway.

Don't try and get their entire stack when it's almost impossible in this situation. Just gotta get as much value as you can and a bet on the turn will be hard to fold to considering the size of the pot.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 3:33am   #3
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Playing a royal flush is no different than playing the nuts when the board is A6739... I think there are some other threads on that 'round these parts.

This reminds me of a hand my GF played yesterday on Party.. She got a straight flush on the turn, the opponent raised about 1/2 the pot, and she min-raised. The opponent min-raised again. Then she put him all in. He folded his 2-pair.

Usually getting re-raised means they are going to go the whole way with it. We were a little bummed that he folded, and we felt like idiots.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:47am   #4
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

the correct answer:

as often as possible
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:37am   #5
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Playing a royal flush is no different than playing the nuts when the board is A6739...
You can't be serious? Here, the nuts are well hidden. Even if the 679 are all the same suit, no-one with Ax of that suit is going to give that much credit to the chaser of a gut-shot draw, let alone gutshot s/flush when the flop was A67. The holder of T8s in this case is almost always going to be paid by the holder of Ax and Kx of that same suit.

In comparison, the hand history we were given is quite different, because the nuts unambiguously are Qx suited and the holder of a lesser flush or a non-flush straight can let it go.

I think a small bet on the turn was in order here; something to keep interest for AK or A7 a the set. With nigh on $10 in the pot, very few semi-made hands will ignore a weak $1 bet and one of the two might even have tried to represent a stronger flush to you by check-raising. Remember, you can give them whatever odds you want to, but for heaven's sake, give them odds.

For similar reasons, I think your river raise from 0.75 to $5 is too steep. A raise to $2 may have a) got the other player to call (maybe) b) got $2 extra out of the bettor (almost certainly) or c) got the bettor to re-raise again (unlikely perhaps, but the dream result).

I'm praying for the day when I even get a chance to make something out of a Royal!
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:47pm   #6
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I don't know stack sizes, but all-in on the flop for me. At least raise a bit so that when your strong draw hits. you can get paid off.

A small bet on the turn followed by a 2-3/5 bet on the river would work here as well. River raise was too much.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:17pm   #7
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

as is was reading and replying to this post last night...i hit my first royal flush ever...and actually pulled a buyin off a guy at $25 P/L...and i have averagejoe to thank....
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:57pm   #8
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

AverageJoe I wouldn't worry too much about how you play a Royal Flush. You're unlikely to get another one anytime soon.

nh by the way.
SidMaynard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2006, 2:19am   #9
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

I just hit my first Royal last night at Party and I have to explain it cause it was the worst playing I've ever seen. I was playing a play money $55 Sit an Go. The people playing were ridiculous (even for fake money players). It was limit holdem and I was dealer. I raised preflop with AKs and by the time it got back around, the bets were capped. The flop comes out Js 2s 10s, and everyone before me bets, so its capped by the time it gets to me, and I flopped the nuts! The turn comes 9h, and again, the bet is capped by the time it reaches me so I can only call. On the river Qs (here I'm like OMG <.< >.>), same again, bet capped, I call...the other players hands...this is the best part...one had the straight AFTER the river, one had trip 2s, one had J 10, and my personal favorite....one had a pair of 9s. NOT a set, just a pair of nines, which he raised with preflop AND postflop, before he even had the pair! And the best part is, with four spades on the board, not ONE of them had a flush either...and they still bet!

I got about 6k from the hand, took a huge lead, and won it.

I know its fake money...but come on...this is the worst I have ever seen/heard about ever. I just hope people play like this when I setup my real money account this weekend
dmdifiore est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2006, 2:21am   #10
dmdifiore
Flop Artist

dmdifiore

I just hit my first Royal last night at Party and I have to explain it cause it was the worst playing I've ever seen. I was playing a play money $55 Sit an Go. The people playing were ridiculous (even for fake money players). It was limit holdem and I was dealer. I raised preflop with AKs and by the time it got back around, the bets were capped. The flop comes out Js 2s 10s, and everyone before me bets, so its capped by the time it gets to me, and I flopped the nuts! The turn comes 9h, and again, the bet is capped by the time it reaches me so I can only call. On the river Qs (here I'm like OMG <.< >.>), same again, bet capped, I call...the other players hands...this is the best part...one had the straight AFTER the river, one had trip 2s, one had J 10, and my personal favorite....one had a pair of 9s. NOT a set, just a pair of nines, which he raised with preflop AND postflop, before he even had the pair! And the best part is, with four spades on the board, not ONE of them had a flush either...and they still bet!

I got about 6k from the hand, took a huge lead, and won it.

I know its fake money...but come on...this is the worst I have ever seen/heard about ever. It was so bad, I figured you guys would get a laugh or two out of this.

I just hope people play like this when I setup my real money account this weekend
dmdifiore est déconnecté   Reply With Quote