THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:52pm   #31
ImAllInNow
Grinder

ImAllInNow

All this talk of playing over your bankroll brings me bad memories of...last week...and the week before that...

Okay, so I play 5/10 limit. Increasingly over the past year, I have ventured to higher and higher stakes. First it was 10/20, then 15/30, then 30/60, then 50/100 and even a session of 100/200 on party (Lost a $2600 pot with TPTK to runner runner straight.)

Somehow, I have managed not to go completely broke. I've had some horrible downswings though. $4000 in a week, $4000 in a day, the biggest downfall being $9000 in two days after just winning $10,000 in a week after losing $8000 in a day before that! <GASP>

I have realized though, that about half of my losses in each of these was completely avoidable. Sometimes it's 5/10 NL or 10/20 NL, other times it's just me playing for way to long when I'm horribly tilted and past the threshhold of misery (Caro's term).

I think I've finally gotten better about staying focused after losing, but who knows when my next downfall will be (I'm currently up almost $4000 over the top of where I was before the $9000 downturn). I keep less in the site at a time and am better about taking a breather before depositing more after busting.

Through all this I've somehow managed to be up $14,000 at 30/60, $4,000 at 50/100, $4,000 at 20/40, and $3,000 at 10/20. So I'm sure I will keep playing at these high limits despite the horrid feeling of losing as much as I have in the past.

That's poker.
ImAllInNow est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:18pm   #32
juggalo68
Grinder

juggalo68

No offense taken XA. My perceptions of Phil Gordon are limited to Celebrity Poker and getting on his web site some time ago. I think one time on the TV show somebody asked about whether he was married or had a girlfriend and he said something like "I don't discuss my personal life." That combined with his website saying all this stuff about guys he's traveled the world worth but no mention of a woman kind of guided me to my misperception.

Plus I think my wife might have said something like that too. I'll have to ask her when I get home. Anyway it's not like I felt he was a flamer or anything. Just one of those little assumptions that got stuck in my nugbone somewhere along the line.

And I still want to hear the story, please.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:08pm   #33
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Ok, here is the story. At the camp they run 2 tournaments, 1 that has a prize pool and payouts, the 2nd is a winner-take all for a WSOP main event seat. So after busting out of the 1st tournament about halfway through, I go play a $100 SnG and bust out after misplaying 55 as a short stack. I go up to Phil who is watching this woman play. I ask him about my play, he agrees I misplayed it and I decide to watch this table. He starts talking to me about how this woman should play her hands and she ends up doing what he said (though she couldn't hear us). She ends up busting with AK v. QQ. Phil consoles her and this is where I pick up that they are dating.

Anyways, another happy camper talks to Phil and I start shooting the shit with his girlfriend. Talking about the AK hand and going from there. I honestly forgot most of the converstation, but it mainly consisted of me probing to get to know her better and doing some subtle flirting, the kind that makes them question "Is this guy REALLY flirting with me?" I can't do anything overt, because Phil is 6'7" and while it might be an interesting fight, I am sure that he could kick my ass.

Here's the kicker: after about 30 minutes of "talking" to her, her and Phil start to leave and I say "It was nice talking to you." Phil says "Thanks" and I go "Sorry Phil, I was talking to her."
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:18am   #34
juggalo68
Grinder

juggalo68

Fucking A!! That kicker was a good laugh!!

I'll bet Phil about shit when you said that!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:25pm   #35
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_kid
Phil is 6'7" and while it might be an interesting fight, I am sure that he could kick my ass.
It would be muscles vs. range. You must get in there and try to get a lucky punch. I know you have knockout-abilities. You are Mike Tyson and he is Lennox Lewis.

Let´s get ready to rrrrrrrruuuummmmmbbbbbbbllllllleeeee!

"XA is looking out of shape, but Phil has girly hands because of his easy living."

Ding!

"There´s the bell. XA is looking scared, but he looks determined to try to win this. XA tries to get in range of Phil, but Phil punishes him with his jab. XA is getting tired in his legs and his heart is not used to this running around trying to find an opening. Phil launches a surprise right hand and XA is too tired to avoid it. XA is down. 1,2,3,4,5. XA is up again."

Ding!

(Phil´s girlfriend is barely wearing clothes and is showing a round 2 card. Now everyone can see what they are fighting for.)

Ding!

"XA is still looking tired, but he knows it is now or never. His legs can´t hold out much longer. XA runs into a series of jabs, desperately trying to get in range. He is looking dizzy now. But what is this? Phil has almost stopped jabbing. I guess his weak arms are tired of all the work. XA is in range now. He punches like a Duracell rabbit, but Phil manages to block the punches with the little strength he has left."

Ding!

(The fighters are giving each other hateful looks)

Ding!

"Round 3 starts like round 2. XA now has a cut over the left eye, but this is not gonna stop him. Phil sees that XA is tired and decides this should be the last round. He counter-attacks XA and has him against the ropes. XA can barely stand on his feet. What now? XA looks just a couple of punches from finished, but Phil is not punching. His feeble arms have had enough. The crowd is shouting "XA! XA!". XA is pissed. He bounces out of the ropes and straight into range. Phil barely has enough strength to keep his arms up, but can´t fully protect himself from the all-out attack from XA. XA hits him with an uppercut, then a left-right combination. He elboves Phil in the kidney´s but the judge doesn´t see it. Man these guys hate each other. Phil doesn´t even know where he is at this point. He loses balance and is going down. Whilst Phil is going down, XA uses all his last energy in lashing out a bad etiquette punch right smack on top of Phil´s head. 1,2,3,4,5,6. The judge calls the game over. The crowd goes wild."

(Phil´s girlfriend (or ex-girlfriend now) throws her arms around XA´s head. "I love you, champ".)

Long live the Raging Bull.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.

Last edited by Lord Mushroom; Jun 15, 2007 at 11:52pm.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:44pm   #36
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom
????
I don't even have to read this to know you are a complete weirdo.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:48pm   #37
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

LM this for you:

Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:49pm   #38
KTC
Grinder

KTC will become famous soon enough

You hit on her knowing she was with Phil Gordon? Impressive!
KTC est déconnecté   Reply With Quote