THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:07am   #21
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So basically your saying that your out of position with Q9 off and somebody raises you 4x the blind your going to play it out?
No, he's saying it depends...
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:39am   #22
MannyIsGod
Professional

MannyIsGod
Send a message via AIM to MannyIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr blonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyIsGod
@ the people who woudln't play Q9. Ah, people who never step away from starting hand charts suck.

I play poker, not starting hands.
So basically your saying that your out of position with Q9 off and somebody raises you 4x the blind your going to play it out?
I'm saying that against certain players I'll call OOP with 23o. Why? Because I don't need a hand to beat certain players. And thats not to say that Q9 is even a bad hand 3 handed as was pointed out.

If you're folding Q9 3 handed, you have no business playing anything short of full ring and you're definetly not maximizing your winrate.
MannyIsGod est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:49pm   #23
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

This is getting out of hand and I don't really want to argue. Personally I don't like playing hands like that unless the cost is cheap and I'm in position. If I hit top pair on the flop with a hand like Q9 and I'm under the gun I hate it. I don't like being under the gun with top pair and a weak kicker.
I'm not saying there are right hands and wrong hands to play but personally I like to play tight and wait for situations I can take advantage of. Small pairs and suited connectors I like to call in any position because If I hit the flop hard I'll most likely be taking the pot down, but If I don't hit the flop I'll fold.
mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:01pm   #24
mentalmark
Brunson

mentalmark
Send a message via AIM to mentalmark

i was sb so it was a small price to pay for Q9, but then the flop comes, are you gonna say you are not going to call? the only thing to beat me was 9 8 or 9 higher kicker than queen. not likely...
mentalmark est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:00am   #25
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

I would have folded it on the SB but that's just what I would do because I hate seeing a flop under the gun. But, I'm not saying you made a bad play, some people like to call anything sb because you see more cheap flops. I don't disagree with that, I've just been it too many situations where I would not hit the flop and check or bet to steal it and someone in front of me hit the flop hard.
if I did call it and 989 came up, I would have played. I actually had a hand like that in the past with QT,one caller, the flop 992, I ended up in a raising battle under the gun that put us both all in. I got beat by KT.

After many hands like that in the poast i have learned what works for me. Every morning I look at my play from the previous night and try to find only the hands I lost and figure out what I did wrong and adjust my play for the future.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:27am   #26
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
personally I like to play tight and wait for situations I can take advantage of. (...) If I hit the flop hard I'll (...) take the pot down, but If I don't hit the flop I'll fold.
Awesome Shorthanded-Strategy!
balthazarr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:28am   #27
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

Quote:
I would have folded it on the SB but that's just what I would do because I hate seeing a flop under the gun. But, I'm not saying you made a bad play, some people like to call anything sb because you see more cheap flops. I don't disagree with that, I've just been it too many situations where I would not hit the flop and check or bet to steal it and someone in front of me hit the flop hard.
if I did call it and 989 came up, I would have played. I actually had a hand like that in the past with QT,one caller, the flop 992, I ended up in a raising battle under the gun that put us both all in. I got beat by KT.

After many hands like that in the poast i have learned what works for me. Every morning I look at my play from the previous night and try to find only the hands I lost and figure out what I did wrong and adjust my play for the future.
UH that flop was TT2
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:45pm   #28
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Wow, just wow.

Look, you cant blame a guy for going with his gut and calling a raise from someone who he thinks is playing weak hands. Q9 could be the nuts against this guy.

He called, he flopped hard and forced the guy to make a mistake by putting all his money in behind. Please dont insult him by saying that it's his fault for calling with the best hand and getting outdrawn. That's a little silly isnt' it?
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:52pm   #29
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by silu_nz
Regarding the Q9 remark or the reading opponents remark? If it is regarding the reading opp remark then I agree. I will edit my post accordingly.
I was commenting on the emphasis to never play Q9 in poker. And also, well yeah... the whole thing about playing certain hands live becuase of the ability to get a read on someone. You arent going to sit down and fold Q9 on an 899 flop in most cases live, even if your opponent's pupils are dialated and he tilts his head 2 degrees to the left.

The most important reads in live poker come from that which is still present in online poker... betting patterns and information gathered from previous hands!
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote