THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 05, 2006, 8:06am   #21
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

Wow, you're definatly too noble de play poker. Go play at a playmoney table and give the players there a few lessons, mother Theresa

Its called the learning tax; you have to lose a few bucks when you're new to the game. If you continue to lose money after a while, you deserve to lose your money anyway.. so its all good.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 06, 2006, 3:22pm   #22
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17

I got into penny stakes limit O/8 a couple of months ago. I'm finding it very enjoyable, and I haven't left a ring game down once. It's a really good game to play at work on those real slow days, since you're folding most of the time...

Especially as I've been struggling with my NL hold'em play, having a positive experience at a table is keeping my attitude up and will help me get through the tough times.

The biggest thing for me has been making sure I play the best hands preflop. Postflop the decisionmaking has been a lot easier. Either I have the nuts or the draw to it, or I don't and I fold.

Who knows, I may turn and focus on O/8 moreso than Holdem down the road.

Michigan WHO? 34-32!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBzoXqCEnA
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2006, 6:21pm   #23
engstrok
Doyle Look-alike

engstrok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you serious? Posts like these are making me sad. To take on the weaker ones isn't something to brag about. To beat someone who is better than you should be the goal and not to win against those who're new to the game anyway. That's a poor attitude imo. You should pay more respect to the people you're playing with. When I won against someone several times, making him go all-in and rebuy I don't think: "Oh, I have to stay here and take as much money as I can." but "Hm, shouldn't he have learned by now? I hope he'll do better tomorrow." Where would be the challenge and fun in such a game as poker if all the players were dumb and noobish? Yes there are idiots, but I seriously doubt you enjoy their company. I don't. Not for all the money in the world.
Although I wrote that post about two years ago, I stand by what I said. I'm not bragging about beating up on weak players, nor am I advocating beating up on someone until I've broken them. What I was talking about was NOT BERATING WEAKER PLAYERS AT THE TABLE BECAUSE IT GIVES THEM MOTIVATION TO PLAY BETTER. That is basic poker dogma for anybody who is serious about earning money playing poker.

I respect that you play the game to be intellectually challenged and stimulated. I also respect that you have empathy for your opponents and enjoy their company. However, I think it is a little presumptous of you to tell me that I am doing something morally wrong by playing against players who are weaker than me. One of the reasons I play is to earn money. I'm not going to do that by playing against people who are better than me. In addition, my opponents have the free will to play or not to play. It is not my place to tell them what to do with that money, just as it is not your place to tell me that my motivations for playing poker are morally wrong.
engstrok est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2006, 7:14pm   #24
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

Quote:
To beat someone who is better than you should be the goal and not to win against those who're new to the game anyway. That's a poor attitude imo. You should pay more respect to the people you're playing with. When I won against someone several times, making him go all-in and rebuy I don't think: "Oh, I have to stay here and take as much money as I can." but "Hm, shouldn't he have learned by now? I hope he'll do better tomorrow." Where would be the challenge and fun in such a game as poker if all the players were dumb and noobish?
I think it really depends on your personal goal. If the money means nothing to you, then beating players who are better then you and challenging yourself is a perfectly good and noble goal. However, some of us need the money. I am a college student who is paying for alot of things with my poker money (not "balling") as they talk about on P5's lol, but I payed for the surgery that kept my dog from becoming crippled, my credit cards and alot of my bills with poker money. Therefore I have no desire to sit in game with Phil Ivey, or even Hustlr and Ozone for that matter (Ptips tourny aside). I would rather use table selection to my advantage, and I keep a list of donators that cannot play but seem to have plently of money to give away. That all being said, I'm beginning to love O8 as long as I multitable becuase I play so few hands.
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote