THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:35pm   #1
sxm79
Flop Artist

sxm79
Default 'Pot Commited' in fixed limit?

I see the term 'pot commited' sometimes in the following context and I wonder what it means;

Short handed limit cash game:

a guy just rivered me with his AJ on a Q high flop when he hit his A on the river. The pot was raised preflop and on the flop, so it was quite big. After the showdown he said something like: 'Sorry. I had to call, I was pot commited'. I guess he was trying to say that, in his opinion, he had pot odds to call.

I know the term 'pot commited' only from tournament jargon: a player calls with any two cards because he has so few chips in front of him that he couldn't go on in the tournament if he folds now.

So, does 'pot commited' make sense in a limit cash game? And if so, what does it mean?

Cheers
sxm79 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:18am   #2
The_Ronin
Grinder

The_Ronin is on a distinguished road

Put him on your buddylist.

TR

PZ Meyers:
No, I've been avoiding it. Although I adore Spongebob and consider him a sterling role model for all of our fine students at UMM, I have a dread of the Hasselhoff. I'm still traumatized from the Spongebob movie, which was fabulous until the moment the Hasselhoff showed up — and now I have a fear that if I attended the theme park, the Hoff might suddenly show up and offer me a ride. Or a Whopper.

The_Ronin est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:20am   #3
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

Pot commited also works in NL cash games IMO, and could work in limit. If I have bottom pair and a busted flush draw in a huge pot I could be commited to the pot enough to call a medum sized river bet.
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:49pm   #4
beta
Flop Artist

beta
Default Re: 'Pot Commited' in fixed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxm79
I know the term 'pot commited' only from tournament jargon: a player calls with any two cards because he has so few chips in front of him that he couldn't go on in the tournament if he folds now.

So, does 'pot commited' make sense in a limit cash game? And if so, what does it mean?
'Pot commited' makes ablolutly no sense in a cash game. If you know (or think you know ;) ) you have second best hand get out and save your money.

If this player thinks he has to pay a big bet for his 3 outs (~1:14) just because he has some money in the pot Ronin is right: put him on your buddy list.
beta est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:41pm   #5
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

That doesn't make sense in a fixed limit game. It's very hard to be pot commited with the worst hand unless your a donk. Unless you flopped trips had a raisng battle on the flop and turn and the river sets a str8 or flush draw and you only have to call the minimum bet.

It's insane to be pot committed on a draw.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:21pm   #6
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I would consider myself pot committed if I had 2BB or less on the flop and I feel that I might be ahead or drawing live. It rarely comes up though.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:25pm   #7
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

wouldnt having correct pot odds make you pot committed? Isnt that the definiton of being pot committed? like in NL you raise with a marginal hand, get reraised, but are forced to call because the pot odds offer you the correct odds to call even though you know u have the worse hand.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:12pm   #8
MuyTheRat
Grinder

MuyTheRat
Send a message via AIM to MuyTheRat

Quote:
wouldnt having correct pot odds make you pot committed? Isnt that the definiton of being pot committed? like in NL you raise with a marginal hand, get reraised, but are forced to call because the pot odds offer you the correct odds to call even though you know u have the worse hand.
I think maybe I'm getting confused at the definition of pot committed, becuase I seem to think that you can be in this situation. Example: In a 50NL game I raise to 1.75 with JTs from the button. The BB makes it 2.50. The BB is ultra tight player and probably ahead. Do I fold? no, I'm commited (at this point) to seeing a flop. Ok then the flop comes J44. I'm probably still behind to a big PP but as long as he keeps the bets small, I'm going to see the showdown as long as i'm getting the right odds, as I'm commited to the pot. I may just be misunderstanding the whole question and term.
MuyTheRat est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:28pm   #9
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

id say being pot comitted is when you are forced to make calls because your calls are +ev. example, say u are on the river, your opponent makes a really weak bet (maybe because he is all in), you call even though you are fairly sure you are beat, but expect that your call is +ev in the long run (you may only be good, 1/100 times but with your call you expect to make over 100 dollars.).
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:00pm   #10
The_Ronin
Grinder

The_Ronin is on a distinguished road

People, please read carefully the definition i found on this wonderfull site:

Poker Glossary

Pot Commited
A person is pot committed when the pot size in relation to their stack forces them to bet or call any remaining money they have in their stack. The odds they are getting are just too good to fold, no matter what.

You can to some extend see it as in a cash game NL if you must go all in. But that doesn't make sense because next hand you can refill your stack with your BR.

As i see it, the term is only used in relation to tourneys, sng's etc... where when you are pot commited it could be the end of the tourney.

And don't talk about limit games please.

TR

PZ Meyers:
No, I've been avoiding it. Although I adore Spongebob and consider him a sterling role model for all of our fine students at UMM, I have a dread of the Hasselhoff. I'm still traumatized from the Spongebob movie, which was fabulous until the moment the Hasselhoff showed up — and now I have a fear that if I attended the theme park, the Hoff might suddenly show up and offer me a ride. Or a Whopper.

The_Ronin est déconnecté   Reply With Quote