THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:28am   #21
mentalmark
Brunson

mentalmark
Send a message via AIM to mentalmark

http://www.pokertips.org/strategy/expected-value.php
Online poker must be rigged. Why else did I just get bad beat? Has to be rigged. I'm losing at poker after a couple of months. Me? An amazing player?! I beat the $#!% out of my home game last week! Must be rigged! Poker sites are out to get me?.and people like me. Poker sites hate winning players, hate new players, hate existing players, hate men, hate women, hate Jesus, and eat babies?after they rig them. Yes, online poker rooms must rig the deck or mess with the RNG in some way.
mentalmark est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:31pm   #22
fabolous
Flop Artist

fabolous

I have an idea for a modified version of this. Instead of simply going all in for, say 20x BB as soon as you jump in...how bout just a stiff preflop 10x BB raise? So you sit down with your max buy-in of $2000, and you raise it up to $200 preflop. If it's to you, $200 to call (which is not an all-in play, where you know there will be subsequent rounds of betting) with AJ for example, you will probably fold. I'm guessing the range of callable hands will be AT WORST 10's, J's, Q's, K's, A's, AQ, AK.

In addition, you get to see the flop...so you can base your strategy accordingly. Let's say you do this play with Q3os and get caled, and the board comes Q 8 3. At this point, you can actually feel pretty comfortable that you have the best hand at this point., and you can throw out a couple hundred dollar raise to test the waters. If they have a hand like AQ, KK, or AA most likely they will re-raise and you'll know you're beat and u can fold. they MIGHT call a raise on the flop with JJ or 10's perhaps, but that is an unlikely situation. But there are hands they would call preflop with but not feel inclined to call a raise on the flop with if they missed entirely.

And if YOU miss completely, and suspect the other guy has a very strong hand you can always check it down, and cut your losses to $200. Of course this strategy is a little bit harder to mathematically guestimate and calculate for, but I think it could potentially be more viable than simply going all in for 20x BB, for example. Thoughts?
fabolous est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:47pm   #23
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

If you can put your opponent on a hand preflop when he calls you, then this strategy might work out better. If you figure that you double-up about 80% of the times you outflop your opponent, then the equation would be modified slightly, but I don't think you will outflop your opponent enough times for this to be profitable.

However, you must also add in a wider range of hands because people are likely to call with a mid pair (like 55) and "put" you on AK or try and hit a set.

I want to underline that will I think this is an interesting discussion, the basic concept is stupid. If you used the Skalansky-Chebenov(sp?) numbers and made the appropriate adjustments, then MAYBE you could figure out how to make a profit with a similar strategy.

Playing ABC poker is waaay more profitable than this strategy.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:07am   #24
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly is a reckless way to play the game, for sure. Once you are all-in you have no control. You don't allow for your opponents to consider folding post-flop if they call your all-in bet consiting of a maximum buy-in. Top hands will more or less have no choice but to make the call.

There is no "get rich quick scheme" in poker, other than to win. There are very few gimmicks out there that yield more than marginal profits, and if there are then nobody is talking.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:41am   #25
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Dont know if this has been brought up, but Chris Ferguson did his little $1 to $20k thingy by always buying in for 10 BBs, doubling up, and leaving. I think he said he always played at least 4 tables and used this method all the way up to $25 / $50 NL until he reached $20k.

The important point he said is to never buy in for more than 5% of your bankroll on a single table and always get out when your stack reaches 10% of your entire roll. He mostly only played AA, KK, QQ, AK, and tried to get all in with them preflop, either trying to trap an aggressive player or pushing all in on limpers, etc.

He certainly doesnt advocate doing this with 100 BBs or anywhere close to a full stack, since that would be pretty idiotic.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:35pm   #26
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
Dont know if this has been brought up, but Chris Ferguson did his little $1 to $20k thingy by always buying in for 10 BBs, doubling up, and leaving. I think he said he always played at least 4 tables and used this method all the way up to $25 / $50 NL until he reached $20k.

The important point he said is to never buy in for more than 5% of your bankroll on a single table and always get out when your stack reaches 10% of your entire roll. He mostly only played AA, KK, QQ, AK, and tried to get all in with them preflop, either trying to trap an aggressive player or pushing all in on limpers, etc.

He certainly doesnt advocate doing this with 100 BBs or anywhere close to a full stack, since that would be pretty idiotic.
That makes sense, I see people doing this sometimes, just buying in for 5% of the total buyin then playing the nuts with an allin bet. It's kind of like being an aggressive maniac rock, but usually they take down the blinds. And if someone calls at least your in with the nuts.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:28pm   #27
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of trying this at Tilt, but the min buy-in is 20 BBs. Anyone know if this is viable with 20 or just 10?