THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:42pm   #1
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road
Default First of the Fish or not a fish posts

Okay guys we all see some interesting things in poker. One of the most important parts of poker is spotting the fish and taking advantage of them. So I will post some things that happened and will take you input as to whether or not this person is a fish.

Okay here is the first one.
I am dealt (Jc,Tc)

Preflop: two limpers already so I join them with JT of clubs. SB calls and BB raises and we all call. Flop comes 8c9h3d. SB checks and BB bets, 2 callers and I raise, the SB fold and the BB calls, as to the other callers.. Turn card is a (4c). SB checks and the BB bets, the other two fold and I raise, he calls. The river is a (Qd) and the BB checks and I bet and he calls. I turn over the nut and rake the pot.

Okay so why did I raise the turn. I wanted to make sure he did not bet if the T or J came out. I was not sure if those were outs or not.

Anyway afterward he went nuts. He called me a moron for raising the turn and called me a suck out artist. I understand that these happen in LImit often but this is not a case in which you attack the player. This is one of those cases in which both players play their hands right and one wins and the other loses. He told me that I only had ten outs because he had a better club draw. He called me an idiot for counting the clubs as outs.

So after reading this post, is the BB a fish or not a fish. Because I will label this player as a fish if you guys vote for it and I will not if you do not.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:51pm   #2
Gerrit2002
Banned

Gerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud of

At least he is easy on tilt, what makes him a fish under some circumstances! If he is a fish when he plays "normal" I dont know!
Gerrit2002 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:18pm   #3
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

I am not sure why you bet the turn since it cost you the same to raise the turn as it would have to call the river.

And it is possible that he had some combination of Qx which might have netted you an extra bet with a river raise.

What am I missing, I have a headache.
jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:12am   #4
Grinder
Brunson

Grinder

not a fish - he was venting - that's all.

I'm with jimmytrick - What am I missing.
Grinder est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:47pm   #5
SevenToo
Grinder

SevenToo

me, if he s not folding on a possible backdoorflushdraw with AKs on a2nd reraise, i d buddy him.
Dangerous reraise though on the turn, nice play; whats up if you hit nothing but jack high ?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:38pm   #6
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

His BB raise told me that he had a pretty decent hand. So when I raised the flop and he did not 3 bet me I was 90% certain that he did not have a big pocket pair. I thought that he was continuation betting with AhKh or something like that. He probably just assumed that nobody had paired or had a pair at all and assumed he had the best hand. On the turn when the queen of clubs came out and then he donks it I was a little suspicious. I thought he was just trying to bet the over card on the board and I was right. So I raised him thinking I have a ton of outs if I am wrong here, but I was also trying to figure out if I was going to bet the river if a Jack or Ten came out. I also wanted to make sure that I was the bettor and not him. So he calls and check/calls the river when I make my straight. All of this while playing 4 other tables. I was trying to put him on a hand and I was right about AK. I was wrong about what suit it was but heck I would probably play it the same even if I knew he had the AK of clubs. Because if the river is a brick after raising both streets I would imagine he would fold to a river bluff, but who knows.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:45pm   #7
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I don't quite understand the turn reraise since most people who bet there are going to call that bet and the river bet and you risk getting 3-bet. I can't imagine it being +EV unless you are fairly sure he would fold the river.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:22am   #8
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Well if I just call the turn bet that he makes and then the river is a brick and if he has AK just like I thought he did then if he checks I bet and he calls. But if I raise him on the turn and the river is no help it greatly increases the chances that he folds to a river bluff after being raised on the two previous streets.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:15pm   #9
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Except he still missed on the river and called your bet. A bet usually means he has something.

A better reason the make that raise is if you feel that there is a good chance that he would fold. Against some opponents semibluffing will work. But that is at the higher limits where people, y'know, actually pay attention. But when he bet out on the turn, he must have caught some part of the board and is most likely calling down.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:42pm   #10
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Sorry guys I misposted the hand I had QJ of clubs and he had AK of clubs. And the flop was 9cTd4h. I looked at the wrong hand history before posting this. The turn was a 3 of clubs. The river was a K of hearts. I posted another hand in which I did successfully bluff the river when the river brick came out. Basically the original hand posted was the first of two of those hands in the Sessions but I posted the ending of the other one.

He did not miss the river he paired his king. If he does not pair his king he folds the river and I scoop up the pot. But if I raise the flop and then just call the donk bet on the turn he very well may put me on a draw and bluffing the river becomes much more difficult. But because I raised the flop and the turn if he does not get a club or A or K on the river I win the pot when I bluff the river because if would be extremely hard for him to put me on a draw after the way I played the flop and turn.

Last edited by Ishbu3116; Aug 24, 2006 at 10:49pm.
Ishbu3116 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote